Advanced search

To ask for advice re: speeding course

(19 Posts)
Chippychipsforme Sat 13-Apr-19 09:11:02

I think it means for older people who only have paper licences so my father in law (mid sixties) only has a paper licence so if he needs to hire a car for example he takes his paper licence and passport.

The new paper counterpart of the photocard licence was scrapped years ago.

Stilltryingtocatchwind Sat 13-Apr-19 08:44:38

I did a course last year and they didn’t look at my licence. I was getting it out of my bag but had my work ID still round my neck. They said it’s fine and that would do. It might vary in different areas.
Give them a ring before you set off and talk to them

WednesdaySpinner Sat 13-Apr-19 08:44:24

Paper licences were issued before a certain date and do not include a photo. They then stopped this around 1998 and changed to the card with a photo, which came with a counterpart piece of paper. As others have said, that became obsolete a few years ago and everyone who had one was told to destroy it. If you have lost your photocard, you will not be able to take a passport along instead. Maybe your best bet is to give them a call and see what they say?

NoodieRoodie Sat 13-Apr-19 08:37:18

I passed my test in 1997 and had an old style paper driving license, that is what they mean. I think the photocard ones were introduced shortly after as I got one when I had to replace mine when I lost it at uni. PPs are right saying that the counterpart is useless.

soulrider Sat 13-Apr-19 08:33:10

They mean if you only have a paper licence you can take that plus passport. If you have a photocard licence, you need that. The paper counterpart is obsolete

etaketak Sat 13-Apr-19 08:28:55

What do you think paper license means? Panicking now!

Worsethingshappenatsea Fri 12-Apr-19 20:55:41

When I did mine you had to take photo driving licence and only if you still had old style paper licence then you had to take passport too . They definitely won't want the paper counterpart from photo licence as they are not valid anymore but you will need the actual licence part or won't be able to do the course.

etaketak Fri 12-Apr-19 20:35:37

And take the letter with those instructions one just in case! I suppose the passport is photo proof it's me, and the counterpart has my driving license number on it

SheChoseDown Fri 12-Apr-19 20:34:57

Have just read on cheshire police that you can take your passport 👮😎😊

etaketak Fri 12-Apr-19 20:34:51

I have the letter form them stating that if you don't have your photo card then you need to take counterpart and passport, so will do that.

SheChoseDown Fri 12-Apr-19 20:33:28

There were huge signs up when I did mine. Saying very clearly you had to have your photo driving licence.
Good luck 🤞

TheChiefBMS Fri 12-Apr-19 20:33:01

Report it lost to DVLA and explain to course organisers that you have just lost it and are awaiting new one. All you can do. Take other form of ID and hope they'll accept the situation.

Bunnybigears Fri 12-Apr-19 20:31:07

The paper one isn't worth the paper it is written on. Take your passport for ID although I would have thought getting a new driving licence card might have been a good idea before now.

stillpinching Fri 12-Apr-19 20:30:27

I'm not sure but did you pay the extra£3 to be able to change your booking? If so and it's not too late you could cancel and rebook giving you time to get replacements?

elliedoll Fri 12-Apr-19 20:30:00

When I did one you had to have your plastic driving licence, with the correct address. I would try and rearrange if you don't have that...

etaketak Fri 12-Apr-19 20:29:51

Found it. The instructions say if you don't have the photo card take the counterpart with your passport.

PurpleDaisies Fri 12-Apr-19 20:29:13

You don’t need the paper part.

DappledThings Fri 12-Apr-19 20:28:17

The paper counterpart was made obsolete years ago. Anyone who had one was meant to destroy it.

etaketak Fri 12-Apr-19 20:27:11

I have a Speed Awareness Course tomorrow, I don't have my driving licence card as lost it a while ago, and just went to pack my passport and paper counterpart into my bag, but my paper counterpart wasn't where it usually is- so have also lost that.

I can't do the course without it, so does anyone know what the next steps will be?

I was doing 37 in a 30 but I don't think that makes any difference to anything, but don't want to drip feed. I also have a clear license until now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »