Talk

Advanced search

Call out for a boiler?

(8 Posts)
JuniperNarni Fri 12-Apr-19 20:04:42

Mainly posting here for traffic. We live in social housing and our boiler has broken so we have no heating or hot water. The authorities website says the emergency number is for burst pipes or dangerous electrical faults. Can I call them out now?

Oldraver Fri 12-Apr-19 20:07:04

I would say no. A non working boiler is annoying not a 'danger'

JuniperNarni Fri 12-Apr-19 20:07:48

Should have put in original post we have a 6 month old so I'm a little worried about how low the temperature will drop tonight.

Comefromaway Fri 12-Apr-19 20:11:20

I had a broken boiler with a baby one New Years Eve so a lot colder than it is now. Do you not have a gas fire or any electric heaters? You can boil a kettle for hot water.

Where are you? Here in the north west there’s a bit of a chill in the air overnight & early morning frosts but it’s not arctic.

JuniperNarni Fri 12-Apr-19 20:13:22

We have an electric fire I can put on to heat up the downstairs if we sleep down there. The windows in the bedroom are dire and let in every bit of cold. So I'm thinking that is an option till the morning.

MoistMolly Fri 12-Apr-19 20:17:58

Or just call the number. What's the worst that can happen?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 12-Apr-19 20:28:46

You can call the number but if you have a kettle and an electric heater, they don't legally have to fix it very quickly, I don't believe. The council wouldn't step in until it'd been 2 weeks for me.

Comefromaway Fri 12-Apr-19 20:30:04

Our local social housing provider specifiesno heating completely to be an emergency between 1st Nov - 31st March only. Tenants can be charged for unnecessary call outs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »