Talk

Advanced search

im bored and i put this in parenting but not many replies, so its here now, Perhaps you'll think its boring anyway

(22 Posts)
lucyellensmum Fri 13-Jul-07 19:54:40

My MIL is lovely, im just rather glad we live a long way from her.

She came down the other day, my DD is incredably shy and doesnt like to be stared at. On more than one occasion she insisted on getting in DDs face after DD was slightly upset over trivial things. Faffing and fussing and generally making things worse - MIL, oh why is she so upset - DP because everyone (meaning her!) is staring at her. Then later on, i trod on her foot (bad mother!) and i was actually worried i might have broke it, DD screaming, what did she do...you got it, straight in DDs face, She is on my knee being comforted and having a lovely cuddle with mummy (very forgiving my DD), then MIL says to DD, poor DD, your mummy is wicked, look, let me smack her for you!!! LEM nominates herself for the nobel prize for diplomacy cos she didnt say a word DD, then completely confused and frightened and took even longer to calm down. Honestly, some people hey.

nellie75 Fri 13-Jul-07 19:57:37

I have a horrible MIL, she takes my 19 week dd from me, well snatches her out of my arms really and then refuses to give her back even when she is screaming the place down so know exactly how you feel.

Pennies Fri 13-Jul-07 20:00:00

Did your MIL then actually smack you???!!! My god I'd have had Major Words with mine if she did (tho after dd in bed, of course)

vixma Fri 13-Jul-07 20:01:40

how old is ur daughter

octo Fri 13-Jul-07 20:02:37

Are you related to me? Sounds just like my mother!

lucyellensmum Fri 13-Jul-07 20:03:15

she actually patted my arm, i think she was trying to make DD laugh, i just ignored it as she doesnt see DD very much. Just incredulous at the stupidity of some people.

I was actually fishing for more MIL stories to make me laugh lol

lucyellensmum Fri 13-Jul-07 20:03:46

vixma she is two next week

haychee Fri 13-Jul-07 20:05:49

I think MILs have been sent to us directly from hell. Mine is actually very nice but good grief she winds me up.
Typical thing she does, when dc go to her house for the day, i make sure they take everything they may need. She will insist that my stuff provided was not suitable. They always come home in the most ugly outfits and shoes (that are cheap and very nasty). It really grates me. Because once the nasty stuff is back at mine the dc have already been brainwashed into thinking that stuff is nice, and we have the most almighty battles about actually wearing it out in public.
Why do they always find the one thing you hate?

LowFatMilkshake Fri 13-Jul-07 20:09:32

I hated letting my MIL hold my DD and now DS when she was tiny, and when she could toddle I was so proud that she ran and hid behind my legs whenever MIL turned up

And now DS - bless him cries whenever she picks him up - it's actually because her and FIL march straight in and grab them him without actually letting DS decided for itself that this person is 'okay'. I'm not telling them that though as I enjoy calmly taking back my baby and hearing the hysterical crying immediatley cease

I dont not think much of my IL's though, and have recently turned MIL baiting in to my personal sport

nellie75 Fri 13-Jul-07 20:11:21

Lowfatmilkshake you sound like my sort of person, thats exactly the sort of thing that satisfies me with my mil

LowFatMilkshake Fri 13-Jul-07 20:16:41

MIL is being particularly unreasonable at the moment.

And I have finally reached the point where I have rehearsed my speech and am ready to tell her to grow up and enjoy what she has which is 4 gorgeous GC's......just waiting for that day

Dabbles Fri 13-Jul-07 20:21:07

OMG she actually said "let me smack her for you"

rotfl

OMG

nellie75 Fri 13-Jul-07 20:25:06

I'm just waiting for my dd to start crawling then she won't go anywhere near her, have never had her threaten to smack me though lol

Walnutshell Fri 13-Jul-07 20:26:02

nellie75, you need to sort that one out pronto. Firm but fair. Very firm. Gosh, I'm irritated on your behalf.

Washersaurus Fri 13-Jul-07 20:36:20

I don't have a MIL, but I DO have FIL who does all of these things (baby snatching, thoughtless comments etc) , aswell as getting his model cars and trains down off the shelves for DS(2) to look at and then shouts at him for trying to touch them...talk about teasing a little boy who loves cars and trains!

nellie75 Fri 13-Jul-07 20:38:25

walnutshell i'm permenantly irritated by her, and nothing works she knows best apparently!!! By the way to add to that my dp is her only i've got three dc!!

daisyandbabybootoo Fri 13-Jul-07 20:39:23

That's a bit really. MILs don't seem very big in the tact department.

Although I love mine dearly, she drives me to distraction at times. She's always full of "anything we can do to help" as DH works away four nights a week, but when I ask for help there's a fuss of military proportions whilst she tells me how she'll have to rearrange this that and the other.....why offer?

And DH wonders why I don't ask them for more help!

Then today my 5.5 week old daughter was getting really noisy, as she had been woken up (cos MIL had taken her out of her pram for a cuddle) and wanted feeding. It took me about six goes to get DD from her, my boobs had started leaking from her crying, then I had to listen (for the 10th time since she was born) to her "how do you know she's getting enough?" and "at least with a bottle you can see 5oz is 5oz" speech.

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!

PigeonPie Fri 13-Jul-07 20:48:24

I've also had enough of mine! We told her earlier in the week that I was 11 weeks pg and that we'd had a bit of a scare and so had just had a scan but that everything was ok and all she could say was, 'oh, all right'; no congratulations or that's great or anything.

Stupid thing is she was completely distraught to the extent of wailing uncontrollably when I lost my twins three years ago and DH who was understandably upset had to comfort her while I went and hid!

Funnily enough, we'll not be seeing them soon - fortunately, we live 300 miles from them and I'm now not prepared to travel!

nellie75 Fri 13-Jul-07 20:51:37

Well pigeonpie good luck with this pregnancy, i miscarried january last year and now have a beautiful 19 week old dd so it will all be fine

hotchocscot Fri 13-Jul-07 21:02:15

Hi pigeonpie, maybe your MIL remembers her reaction last time and is a bit ashamed/embarrassed about it and so this time has gone the other way and tried to seem very casual, so as not to over-react? not great for you, though, shame she couldn't even say congrats! so here's a big FABBY CONGRATS YAHOO from me instead hope everything goes well, sure it will.

PigeonPie Fri 13-Jul-07 21:09:55

Ta muchly . We do have one fab DS who's 20 months so I know things can go well too. Having had the scan, I'm much happier!

MIL is just crackers! It took her almost 4 weeks to come and meet DS after he was born and we haven't seen them (apart from when we Skype them) since DS's birthday in November. I've probably upset her, but I don't care now! We've been married for 14 years and I'm fed up with going to stay and not being offered cups of tea etc when I'm sitting in another room (just one example). Fortunately DH has had enough too.

pollywollydoodle Fri 13-Jul-07 21:21:10

when dd was 2 I drew huge pics of her fave storybook characters, she and i coloured them in and then we cut them out and hung them around her room.

everyone else impressed (or good at lying) MIL asked if we were short of cash and would we like some money to redecorate...sometimes you've got to laugh...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now