Talk

Advanced search

to send a very snotty message

(38 Posts)
BrennieGirl Fri 12-Apr-19 15:53:46

It has taken me ages to find a landscaper/gardener to tackle my back garden but I finally found a small family company to do the job. They were quite busy but I told them I was willing to wait for a couple of months.

They have called to my house four times to discuss various things, help me choose materials and spray weed killer. They suggested they start last week and said they'd be in touch. I didn't hear anything until the end of last week when they said they'd be at my house on Tuesday at 8am.

So of course you've probably guessed they didn't turn up. I texted Tuesday evening and got no reply. I texted Wednesday and asked for at least the courtesy of a reply but got nothing.

I've been wanting to sort out the garden for years and this year we could finally afford to do it. We were really excited about having a nice garden for the first time ever.

I waited in all day Tuesday and Wednesday and had even arranged to get a cash deposit from the bank.

I'm so fu**ing annoyed. It's not just that they didn't turn up, it's the rude and unprofessional way they've treated me. If there was somewhere I could leave a review, I would but they only seem to have their own website and a Facebook page.

DH says to just leave it but I want to sent a really snotty/sarcastic message. They probably won't care, but it will give me some satisfaction.

What I really want to say it that they are lying bastards and total wankers for messing me around but I won't use language like that.

So mumsnetters help me get across my feelings using more polite language??

MrsSpenserGregson Fri 12-Apr-19 15:55:49

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

I totally get how angry and frustrated you are, but selfish arseholes like this are unlikely to give a shit, sadly.

Go out and buy yourself a treat instead!

HBStowe Fri 12-Apr-19 15:57:50

How about:

Dear X. It is clear that you don’t have the time to attend to this job as promised. I will therefore be seeking an alternative company to undertake the work instead. I no longer have confidence that you would comminicate effectively and undertake the job timeouslt. Regards, Brennie

femidom12 Fri 12-Apr-19 16:00:32

Try ringing them first to explain themselves.

PregnantSea Fri 12-Apr-19 16:00:51

I wouldn't bother, just find someone else to do it. For all you know there's some sort of legitimate reason why this has happened and there's no benefit to being snotty (even though it would feel really good). Take the high road and get someone else to do the garden.

Can't you leave reviews on a Facebook page if they're set up as a company? That would be a good place to leave a 1 star review. Just be factual and say you were disappointed that they didn't turn up and then ghosted you.

krustykittens Fri 12-Apr-19 16:03:20

Why should the OP ring them for an explanation? She has tried calling them and they have ignored her.

ReallyReallyNo Fri 12-Apr-19 16:03:31

They’ve booked a better paid job and they won’t care what you have to say about them unfortunately.

krustykittens Fri 12-Apr-19 16:05:00

Sorry, just realised she texted them. My point still stands, though, the company have been very unprofessional just to go radio silence. If there is a legitimate reason, they should say so.

Sparklesocks Fri 12-Apr-19 16:06:00

Ugh so annoying. They've taken up enough of your time/headspace, best to move on to a more reliable company - after all, they're losing the money and establishing a bad reputation!

StoneofDestiny Fri 12-Apr-19 16:06:38

It's a sign of a shit company - consider it a lucky escape. Look elsewhere.

HollowTalk Fri 12-Apr-19 16:10:39

I wouldn't use them and agree you've had a lucky escape. Text to say you've arranged for someone else to do it and block them. If they turn up on another day for god's sake don't let them near the garden.

Can any friends recommend someone?

Bringbackthestripes Fri 12-Apr-19 16:14:33

Send what HBStowe wrote, just to make sure they don’t turn up and start work when you aren’t there.

Don’t send a snotty message.

DarlingNikita Fri 12-Apr-19 16:18:56

I wouldn't bother contacting them direct again. They don't seem to care. If you can post reviews on the FB page I'd do that, though, and say exactly what happened.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Fri 12-Apr-19 16:27:20

Agree with you've probably had a lucky escape.

I'd just leave it to be honest, spend your energy on something positive instead.

caughtinanet Fri 12-Apr-19 16:28:05

I'd ask least speak to them to check there isn't a valid reason and after that I'd not feel bad about warning others via the medium of facebook recommendations of a company not to use.

RomanyQueen1 Fri 12-Apr-19 16:35:33

Just leave it and take your anger out on a spade and lawn mower.
Do you need it landscaped can you and dh not manage it.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 12-Apr-19 16:36:06

I took time and trouble finding the right tradesman to sort out a new boiler. Then, on the day, he didn't turn up. And then he didn't answer his phone. Just vanished. I felt as you do.

Then, about a month later, I got a call from his sister. His wife had left him for another man, taking the tiny DC with her. It was a complete bolt from the blue. His sister said he'd had some sort of breakdown. He was devastated.

Six weeks after the original appointment my boiler man reappeared. He did a lovely job for a good price, and while he was in the house thanked me repeatedly for giving him a second chance. I was completely sure he - and his sister - were truthful.

Ever since then he has always turned up when he says, and came over the weekend for no extra when the boiler packed up in cold weather.

Sometimes real emergencies happen. But if something has happened I expect you'll hear soon.

PeachyPrincess Fri 12-Apr-19 16:36:58

Hit them where it hurts - an online review. Their Facebook page or yelp or whatever

viccat Fri 12-Apr-19 16:44:34

Why would they come to your house four times for various preparation tasks if they didn't want the job? Unless you've paid for those visits they've already spent a lot of time on this job which shows commitment. Sometimes genuine emergencies happen especially in small business. I totally get your frustration but would give them a bit more time before posting reviews anyway...

recrudescence Fri 12-Apr-19 16:51:24

It’s tempting to want a bit of revenge but probably not worth it. Use your energy to find someone else to do the work. Make it clear to the original outfit, in writing, that they are off the job.

Jay311 Fri 12-Apr-19 16:56:17

Shop local see if there is a community group or charity that could do it in return for a donation of some kind.

Knittedfairies Fri 12-Apr-19 17:08:33

I wouldn't do anything if and until I found out why they hadn't turned up; if they've had any sort of an emergency your garden may not be their priority.

MoaningMinniee Fri 12-Apr-19 17:08:37

As someone who runs a small family service-based business I'm also interested by the fact that they'd already invested a fair amount of time and effort in the earlier meetings. I'd hang fire before laying into them online with bad reviews etc. It is entirely possible that some sort of crisis has hit them. At the same time do send one final message to let them know their services are no longer required so that you don't find them on your doorstep next Tuesday morning at 8 a.m.

Squigglesworth Fri 12-Apr-19 17:10:55

It's possible that something catastrophic has happened (and prevented them from sending even one line on explanation), but it's more likely that they're just irresponsible and didn't bother to let you know they weren't coming.

Looking on the somewhat positive side, if they're that unprofessional, chances are they aren't very good at what they do, anyway. They certainly don't seem the type to be conscientious about doing the best they can for their clients. Maybe whoever you find next will do a better job than these people would've.

Springwalk Fri 12-Apr-19 17:17:39

The fact they have already invested so much time into your garden, makes me think something serious had happened or there is a mix up with the dates.
Personally I would want to know the answer before deciding to leave any kind of negative review. In the meantime I would line up a potential replacement so that you can get the work completed.

People die/get ill/have to deal with other people’s breakdowns. Give them a chance to clear things up before going nuclear.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »