Talk

Advanced search

Throwing away books...

(166 Posts)
SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 14:06:32

Collecting DC from the nursery, parents behind me discussing what they'll come out with.
One says she hopes it isn't a book, she hates it.
The friend asks if she means the weekly reading book and she clarifies no, a gift book (like they had at Christmas)
She goes on to say that she just bins them and other one comments she bags them all away (presumably to chuck or donate)

Kids got a Mr Men book at Christmas so not crap books by any stretch.

I wish i'd said something to her (like, then bloody donate it you silly woman, don't throw a decent book in the bin) but I was just so astounded. Utterly flummoxed as to why you'd resent a free book (and a nice book at that!!) and bin it rather than donate or, you know, USE it!!

AIBU to not understand her ire?

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 15:37:46

Binning books makes them sad. The characters in the shit American Psycho deserve to be dripped on by bean juice.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:40:12

Libraries near me won’t accept donations either.

Endlessfeasts Fri 12-Apr-19 15:42:08

Oh this thread is so funny.
V holier-than-thou grin
There are so many shit children’s books!
It’s not great to bin them. Better to recycle.
But the mum who refused the book exchange? She may be meblush
I have a home that is packed with books. Lots of kids and lots of studying/writing ,so inevitable.
I don’t want to see any of those crapply illustrated books of the type that are twenty for a pound in certain bookstores. Reading them adds nothing to our life. I’ll take one fantastic story book that I can read with the kids and really take time over , than a whole stack of Julia Donaldson etc that they’ve read a thousand times at school/library/ etc. I do see them as pure life clutter.

downcasteyes Fri 12-Apr-19 15:44:33

I'm with you OP. Some people just have a wallet where their soul should be.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:45:44

Or better taste in books.

happystory Fri 12-Apr-19 15:46:59

What also makes me sad is the nursery has gone to the trouble/expense of getting them all a present. When I worked in early years we saw parents throw lovely craft items in the bin before they'd even left the building. In front of the child too.

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 15:57:54

Brought and wrapped. X50

SleepingSloth Fri 12-Apr-19 16:09:58

imagine how upset a book would be sat in the bin, all the characters shouting for help as your bean can juice leaks on them

😂😂😂

I'm not a fan of physical books as they take up too much space but I do read lots using kindle. My daughter is the only one who reads 'actual books' because I don't want her looking at a screen to read as well as the stuff she looks at a screen for already like YouTube etc. She gets through loads. I tend to send them to the charity shop now as she has some good ones but I have been guilty of recycling some rubbish ones aimed at younger children years ago.

It's lovely if the school give a book as a gift though and this woman sounds ungrateful. She could try getting the child to read it and then passing it on.

Memeface Fri 12-Apr-19 16:12:50

Many modern homes have just so little space though. I can barely store the coats we have, let alone piles of free stuff from well meaning folks.
I have to be utterly brutal with what I allow in the house. Shit books are not getting in. We use the library, and have a small rotating collection from there. No need to own.

Picklypickles Fri 12-Apr-19 16:25:55

What's wrong with the Mr Men books?! Mr Tickle and Mr Niosy make my little boy laugh like a drain!

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 16:29:18

I have lots of books. But I don’t get making them into sacred objects. What do you do with battered holiday reads, for example? Or books your children have grown out of that are too tatty for charity shops to want them?

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 16:42:13

Old and worn books can be gently send to Book Heaven via the bin. Not near leaky bean juice.

Endlessfeasts Fri 12-Apr-19 16:46:08

@picklypickles
Mumsnet has a weird relationship with the Mr. men. Generally mr nosey, mr tickle and the original gang that were illustrated with felt tip pins are socially acceptable. You don’t want to go admitting to being a fan of any computer generated Mr. men , or indeed any with special features like glittery covers. They are frowned upon as the bad guys. The little miss btw, are included in this. They are like the chavs of mr. Land.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Fri 12-Apr-19 17:00:14

We are book mad in this house. I’ve already discussed with my parents that in the event of their death they are to leave me their books because some day I will have a library in my house. I just need a lotto win and a big gaff first, but these are just small obstacles grin

Yabbers Fri 12-Apr-19 17:05:58

The books we got from nursery really annoyed me. There is a series of them they give out here in Scotland and they were utter crap. They couldn’t be given to the charity shop either. They were recycled.

We had pretty much all of the Mr Men books, so they would have gone to waste. Most of the kids story books were a load of crap too, I hated all except a handful of them and may well have been overheard saying the same thing.

We read together frequently and I’m still reading bedtime stories to her at now, and she’s the only one of her class who is still getting them. One comment only tells part of a story.

Yabbers Fri 12-Apr-19 17:07:19

I should add, I hate seeing books damaged, and that trend for book folding is bloody awful. But, I’m not sure “Rosie’s hat” rises to the level of literature to be protected at all costs.

SoHotADragonRetired Fri 12-Apr-19 17:08:27

I threw out The Slightly Annoying Elephant and I WILL NOT apologise for it. I only just restrained myself from burning it.

But yeah, normally, I erupt in hives at the mere thought of binning a book, unless it's the kind of crappy three-page branded freebie that has 0% reading value. They all go to Oxfam.

Dana28 Fri 12-Apr-19 17:10:27

I only buy books on Kindle now which l would have thought is the ecologicaly responsible thing to do

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Fri 12-Apr-19 17:10:54

imagine how upset a book would be sat in the bin, all the characters shouting for help as your bean can juice leaks on them

Great line!

I have lots of books. But I don’t get making them into sacred objects. What do you do with battered holiday reads, for example? Or books your children have grown out of that are too tatty for charity shops to want them?
But I also get this too... Some books ARE really disposable. My DH used to have a job where he had loads of free time (this was in the pre-kindle era) and had literally hundreds of rubbish, trashy books. Silly crime thrillers, bad sci-fi, etc. We DID throw a lot of those out, because we simply didn't have the space for them.
I'm not being a snob, btw. There are plenty of crime thrillers and sci-fi which are still on the shelves, along with lots of other books that people despise... Terry P, chick lit, Harry P etc.

But I won't tell me story that I once told in chat about throwing a totally shit book out of a train window, because I got my arse handed to me on a plate by half of MN!

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 17:13:26

Of course not Yabbers and I was curious if someone could convince me her comment was as horrific as it sounds to me. I suspect I know enough to guess correctly they're not in the "golly our house will simply burst with one more book" or "we learn them all by heart" category.

It just seems so bloody ungrateful too when we're a typical estate primary and before you even see what thry come out with it's "oh god, I hope it isn't a book, I just bin them all". That isn't "oh I do hope it's Chaucer this term"

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 17:15:40

Redhats- dp once forgot his book when we had a long train journey and I was half way through mine, so we cut it in half......

There were actual gasps from our fellow passengers. A Horseman Riding By, it was. Nobody reads Delderfield any more.......

OhMyDarling Fri 12-Apr-19 17:18:31

The teacher probably bought that out of their own money. Apart from chucking a book many others might get enrichment from, they are teaching their children nothing about gratitude. Sounds like they’re probably raising some very spoilt kids.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Fri 12-Apr-19 17:19:55

I’ll take one fantastic story book that I can read with the kids and really take time over , than a whole stack of Julia Donaldson etc

What's wrong with Julia Donaldson?! What would you consider a fantastic story book?

Imadehimlikethat Fri 12-Apr-19 17:21:42

I threw out The Slightly Annoying Elephant and I WILL NOT apologise for it synopsis?

@RedHatsDoNotSuitMe title?

Quintella Fri 12-Apr-19 17:22:08

It's fine to throw out a crap book but to decide you'll be chucking it before you even know what it is is depressing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »