Talk

Advanced search

Throwing away books...

(166 Posts)
SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 14:06:32

Collecting DC from the nursery, parents behind me discussing what they'll come out with.
One says she hopes it isn't a book, she hates it.
The friend asks if she means the weekly reading book and she clarifies no, a gift book (like they had at Christmas)
She goes on to say that she just bins them and other one comments she bags them all away (presumably to chuck or donate)

Kids got a Mr Men book at Christmas so not crap books by any stretch.

I wish i'd said something to her (like, then bloody donate it you silly woman, don't throw a decent book in the bin) but I was just so astounded. Utterly flummoxed as to why you'd resent a free book (and a nice book at that!!) and bin it rather than donate or, you know, USE it!!

AIBU to not understand her ire?

Tinkoschminko Fri 12-Apr-19 14:11:36

This gets my goat!!!!

Donate! Anywhere. School, doctor’s waiting room, post it through a letter box. It’s such a shame.

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 14:13:49

Even back to the school!! They aren't labelled so even dumping it in reception surreptitiously would be fine

outpinked Fri 12-Apr-19 14:14:07

I have an English Literature degree and now teach English in a college. I’ve always been a passionate reader and own hundreds of books, as do my DC. I have read to them pretty much every day since they could hear in the womb.

Some parents don’t read, at all ever. They don’t understand the importance of reading or books and think it’s ‘boring’. I don’t personally understand it but there you go 🤷🏻‍♀️.

YouTheCat Fri 12-Apr-19 14:14:26

She'll be one of those odd species who don't have any books in their house.

I've run out of wall space for bookcases now until dd moves out and her room becomes a library . grin

happysunr1se Fri 12-Apr-19 14:15:05

On World Book Day at my child's preschool they did a book swap: a parent handed a book in and when encouraged to take one in return said "no thanks, we've got enough junk already"

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 14:18:48

OMG book swap sounds awesome!! Would love to have seen the teachers face about junk...

And before someone tells me that perhaps she recites poetry by heart every night or the children are encouraged to make up their own stories which they tell through interpretative dance or they all use digital books, i really suspect that isn't the reason

happysunr1se Fri 12-Apr-19 14:43:04

I admit I did chuck out (recycled) a book once. It was dire... a bear called pickle and a girl called Bree. It was all about manners and respecting each others feelings. I hated it everytime I read it to my dd.

We've got a lot of kids books and borrow from the library a lot too. There are some awful terrible books out there that should never have been published!

ScreamScreamIceCream Fri 12-Apr-19 14:45:11

"no thanks, we've got enough junk already"

Then they wonder why their kid does badly at school...

Hahaha88 Fri 12-Apr-19 14:46:35

Nooooooo you don't throw books away (unless they are in a misfortune bath dropping incident)!!! That's just wrong

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 14:50:10

re terrible books - christmas was mr men!!

bomanaise Fri 12-Apr-19 15:08:40

Mr Men books deserve to be set on fire. That aside, that's really sad. We donate kids books to charity shops and then buy more while we're there.. I've thrown the odd kids book out because as a PP said some of them dont deserve to be published they're so shite.

GummyGoddess Fri 12-Apr-19 15:14:04

The only book I've ever thrown out was one on why immunisation was bad. I didn't want to risk anyone reading that and putting a child at risk so I tore it up and binned it. It was full of phony research and full of very shaky assumptions, family member was very cross with me.

Even books I hate I normally send to the charity shop.

I think dc1 would prefer a book to an Easter Egg, he gets very obsessed.

Ribbonsonabox Fri 12-Apr-19 15:14:58

That is absolute sacrilege!! Never thrown a book away in my life. You arent supposed to throw away books! Give them to charity! I go through tonnes of books, buying them from charity shops then giving them back (or keeping them if I particularly loved it)
A lot of my childrens books come from charity shops too because we get through loads and brand new books are very very expensive.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:16:36

I’m an avid reader and encourage DC to read, but Mr Men books are truly shit IMO! Pictures good, but crappy, long winded writing.

Most free books given away are shit too. Charity shops often don’t want them as they don’t sell. Libraries don’t accept donations.

ChessieFL Fri 12-Apr-19 15:16:47

I suppose if a parent doesn’t like or see the value of reading they won’t appreciate a book as a gift. It’s a real shame though as those children will be missing out.

However to just throw it away is so wasteful, she could at least donate it somewhere if she doesn’t want it.

Threefaries Fri 12-Apr-19 15:17:36

*I have read to them pretty much every day since they could hear in the womb.*
That made me well up.

Our house is full of books.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:19:15

Chucking away shitty books given away by McDonalds, school, WH Smith turgid world book day fairy shite doesn’t mean a parent is anti reading.

Some books are just shit. Recyling best place for those.

Roald Dahl would agree grin

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 15:22:30

Tbf DS would happily take a book. Friday is new library book day. I now wonder if she judges us because DS comes ut of nursery desperate to show me his new book and wants to read it on the way home!! Lots of hospital time so we've done Wind In The Willows and Beatrix Potter stuff, can't wait to Re do them.

I'll concede Mr Men is long widened but if you only have one it isn't so bad! I think thry got a genetric Christmas one too.

Imadehimlikethat Fri 12-Apr-19 15:23:59

Some books are just shit I get lots don't like Mr Men but you'd honestly bin it rather than pass it on? Even if a charity shop sells it for 10p, imagine how upset a book would be sat in the bin, all the characters shouting for help as your bean can juice leaks on them

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:28:23

Charity shops near me don’t accept books.

Yes, recycling is best place for a Mr Man book (even more so Little Miss!) unless DC take a shine to it.

Wouldn’t pass shit tat onto a friend, including books.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:28:59

Generic Christmas books are usuallyshit too!

Losingthechubrub Fri 12-Apr-19 15:31:43

I've only ever thrown one book away in my life (American Psycho - it deserved it).
The best thing my parents ever did for me was instil in me a love of reading from an early age. They're not big readers themselves, but it has always been important to me

Alsohuman Fri 12-Apr-19 15:33:42

We have an Oxfam bookshop. They were delighted with my dad's books - or at least those that were left after we'd skimmed off the cream.

kiwiblue Fri 12-Apr-19 15:36:50

My library accepts books and will recycle them if they don't display them- might be an option for those whose charity shops don't accept them?

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 15:37:46

Binning books makes them sad. The characters in the shit American Psycho deserve to be dripped on by bean juice.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:40:12

Libraries near me won’t accept donations either.

Endlessfeasts Fri 12-Apr-19 15:42:08

Oh this thread is so funny.
V holier-than-thou grin
There are so many shit children’s books!
It’s not great to bin them. Better to recycle.
But the mum who refused the book exchange? She may be meblush
I have a home that is packed with books. Lots of kids and lots of studying/writing ,so inevitable.
I don’t want to see any of those crapply illustrated books of the type that are twenty for a pound in certain bookstores. Reading them adds nothing to our life. I’ll take one fantastic story book that I can read with the kids and really take time over , than a whole stack of Julia Donaldson etc that they’ve read a thousand times at school/library/ etc. I do see them as pure life clutter.

downcasteyes Fri 12-Apr-19 15:44:33

I'm with you OP. Some people just have a wallet where their soul should be.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 15:45:44

Or better taste in books.

happystory Fri 12-Apr-19 15:46:59

What also makes me sad is the nursery has gone to the trouble/expense of getting them all a present. When I worked in early years we saw parents throw lovely craft items in the bin before they'd even left the building. In front of the child too.

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 15:57:54

Brought and wrapped. X50

SleepingSloth Fri 12-Apr-19 16:09:58

imagine how upset a book would be sat in the bin, all the characters shouting for help as your bean can juice leaks on them

😂😂😂

I'm not a fan of physical books as they take up too much space but I do read lots using kindle. My daughter is the only one who reads 'actual books' because I don't want her looking at a screen to read as well as the stuff she looks at a screen for already like YouTube etc. She gets through loads. I tend to send them to the charity shop now as she has some good ones but I have been guilty of recycling some rubbish ones aimed at younger children years ago.

It's lovely if the school give a book as a gift though and this woman sounds ungrateful. She could try getting the child to read it and then passing it on.

Memeface Fri 12-Apr-19 16:12:50

Many modern homes have just so little space though. I can barely store the coats we have, let alone piles of free stuff from well meaning folks.
I have to be utterly brutal with what I allow in the house. Shit books are not getting in. We use the library, and have a small rotating collection from there. No need to own.

Picklypickles Fri 12-Apr-19 16:25:55

What's wrong with the Mr Men books?! Mr Tickle and Mr Niosy make my little boy laugh like a drain!

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 16:29:18

I have lots of books. But I don’t get making them into sacred objects. What do you do with battered holiday reads, for example? Or books your children have grown out of that are too tatty for charity shops to want them?

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 16:42:13

Old and worn books can be gently send to Book Heaven via the bin. Not near leaky bean juice.

Endlessfeasts Fri 12-Apr-19 16:46:08

@picklypickles
Mumsnet has a weird relationship with the Mr. men. Generally mr nosey, mr tickle and the original gang that were illustrated with felt tip pins are socially acceptable. You don’t want to go admitting to being a fan of any computer generated Mr. men , or indeed any with special features like glittery covers. They are frowned upon as the bad guys. The little miss btw, are included in this. They are like the chavs of mr. Land.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Fri 12-Apr-19 17:00:14

We are book mad in this house. I’ve already discussed with my parents that in the event of their death they are to leave me their books because some day I will have a library in my house. I just need a lotto win and a big gaff first, but these are just small obstacles grin

Yabbers Fri 12-Apr-19 17:05:58

The books we got from nursery really annoyed me. There is a series of them they give out here in Scotland and they were utter crap. They couldn’t be given to the charity shop either. They were recycled.

We had pretty much all of the Mr Men books, so they would have gone to waste. Most of the kids story books were a load of crap too, I hated all except a handful of them and may well have been overheard saying the same thing.

We read together frequently and I’m still reading bedtime stories to her at now, and she’s the only one of her class who is still getting them. One comment only tells part of a story.

Yabbers Fri 12-Apr-19 17:07:19

I should add, I hate seeing books damaged, and that trend for book folding is bloody awful. But, I’m not sure “Rosie’s hat” rises to the level of literature to be protected at all costs.

SoHotADragonRetired Fri 12-Apr-19 17:08:27

I threw out The Slightly Annoying Elephant and I WILL NOT apologise for it. I only just restrained myself from burning it.

But yeah, normally, I erupt in hives at the mere thought of binning a book, unless it's the kind of crappy three-page branded freebie that has 0% reading value. They all go to Oxfam.

Dana28 Fri 12-Apr-19 17:10:27

I only buy books on Kindle now which l would have thought is the ecologicaly responsible thing to do

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Fri 12-Apr-19 17:10:54

imagine how upset a book would be sat in the bin, all the characters shouting for help as your bean can juice leaks on them

Great line!

I have lots of books. But I don’t get making them into sacred objects. What do you do with battered holiday reads, for example? Or books your children have grown out of that are too tatty for charity shops to want them?
But I also get this too... Some books ARE really disposable. My DH used to have a job where he had loads of free time (this was in the pre-kindle era) and had literally hundreds of rubbish, trashy books. Silly crime thrillers, bad sci-fi, etc. We DID throw a lot of those out, because we simply didn't have the space for them.
I'm not being a snob, btw. There are plenty of crime thrillers and sci-fi which are still on the shelves, along with lots of other books that people despise... Terry P, chick lit, Harry P etc.

But I won't tell me story that I once told in chat about throwing a totally shit book out of a train window, because I got my arse handed to me on a plate by half of MN!

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 17:13:26

Of course not Yabbers and I was curious if someone could convince me her comment was as horrific as it sounds to me. I suspect I know enough to guess correctly they're not in the "golly our house will simply burst with one more book" or "we learn them all by heart" category.

It just seems so bloody ungrateful too when we're a typical estate primary and before you even see what thry come out with it's "oh god, I hope it isn't a book, I just bin them all". That isn't "oh I do hope it's Chaucer this term"

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 17:15:40

Redhats- dp once forgot his book when we had a long train journey and I was half way through mine, so we cut it in half......

There were actual gasps from our fellow passengers. A Horseman Riding By, it was. Nobody reads Delderfield any more.......

OhMyDarling Fri 12-Apr-19 17:18:31

The teacher probably bought that out of their own money. Apart from chucking a book many others might get enrichment from, they are teaching their children nothing about gratitude. Sounds like they’re probably raising some very spoilt kids.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Fri 12-Apr-19 17:19:55

I’ll take one fantastic story book that I can read with the kids and really take time over , than a whole stack of Julia Donaldson etc

What's wrong with Julia Donaldson?! What would you consider a fantastic story book?

Imadehimlikethat Fri 12-Apr-19 17:21:42

I threw out The Slightly Annoying Elephant and I WILL NOT apologise for it synopsis?

@RedHatsDoNotSuitMe title?

Quintella Fri 12-Apr-19 17:22:08

It's fine to throw out a crap book but to decide you'll be chucking it before you even know what it is is depressing.

Imadehimlikethat Fri 12-Apr-19 17:22:41

@BertrandRussell I'm not surprised!

Alsohuman Fri 12-Apr-19 17:25:46

@Bertrand, that made me laugh. I used to love Delderfield.

SenecaFalls Fri 12-Apr-19 17:36:13

But I don’t get making them into sacred objects.

Same here. I have a degree in literature and I am an avid reader. These days most everything I read is on Kindle. We recently downsized and I no longer have room for lots of bookcases that contain books that no one ever picks up. I have kept a few, and have donated as many as I can, but there is a limit to what charities and other organizations can accept, even for recycling the paper. So I have thrown away a few. Do what Marie Kondo suggests and thank them for their service. It may seem silly, but it actually works for me.

Cookit Fri 12-Apr-19 17:36:43

The books you get handed for babies and toddlers by health visitors and at all children’s centres I do find a bit annoying because it’s not like you can give them away to finds or to a charity shop because everyone is given them and they’re not particularly brilliant books. At his 2 year review we got given a stack of books for my son that were clearly meant for very young babies with maybe 10 words in total. They’re sitting on a book shelf because I feel guilty throwing books away.

Siameasy Fri 12-Apr-19 17:47:48

I do love books and so does DD but there is a limit. I have a clear out now and then (to the charity shop of course so IWBU to just chuck them)
Also I hate Mr Men they are really clunky to read. If I find a book of hers boring to read it disappears

Siameasy Fri 12-Apr-19 17:53:11

Not a fan of Julia Donaldson here either
I absolutely love to the point of obsession the old Ladybird books. Well Loved Tales. DD loves them too.

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Fri 12-Apr-19 17:58:14

I love that there were audible gasps, @BertrandRussell
That's hysterical. You were judged by the entire train!

I can't remember the title @Imadehimlikethat, but the book was by Wilbur Smith and it was AWFUL!!!! Sexist, misogynist, nasty pretending to be a thriller. oh, and a predictable ending as well. Plus, the authors about 110, and writing about pre-pubescent girls (as sexual beings)... You totally got the (utterly icky) feeling he was writing the book with one hand on the pen and the other stuffed down his trousers! I actually felt soiled reading it.

@Quintella - totally agree!

And to the Julia Donaldon haters on this thread... I absolutely LOVE Room on the Broom. Most of which i can still recite now and my DD is nearly 18!

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Fri 12-Apr-19 17:58:48

author's blush

Ribbonsonabox Fri 12-Apr-19 18:00:33

I loved the ones we got from the health visitor! I got one with black and white photos of babys in and simple words that my son loved as a baby... and my daughter is now fascinated with it too! Had that book for nearly 5 years and it was free. I think it's great they give out books.

BasiliskStare Fri 12-Apr-19 18:10:26

I used to have about 5000 books - having downsized I gave as many to charity as I could - but seriously where I live they can only take so many - sone went to local school , some to friends. I am a book lover but now kindle for general reading is my friend and I have got over my "you can't bin a book" way of thinking. Paperbacks - if they aren't useful / nobody wants them - recycle them.

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 18:31:36

“I love that there were audible gasps, @BertrandRussell
That's hysterical. You were judged by the entire train!”

Well, the compartment at least- it was a while ago! We had a bottle of wine and glasses too. The other passengers must have felt they had fallen into very louche company.

BasiliskStare Fri 12-Apr-19 18:50:32

@BertrandRussell grin My son's godfather did do a similar thing on holiday once - his wife had finished her book & he was on the 2nd half so just ripped it down the spine and gave her the first half. But - books are generally for reading aren't they? ( Except a chap I knew who had some lovely bookshelves with lovely editions on them & when I asked them which were his favourites , said " I don't read them , but they look nice " shock I can only hope you had taken some well chosen canapés into the compartment. Oh how very funny

RuggerHug Fri 12-Apr-19 19:01:15

Imadehimlikethat ah now I don't need that image in my head of the unread characters! I don't bin books but that made me 'aww no!' out loud!!

Sugarhouse Fri 12-Apr-19 19:26:23

This is crazy you don’t throw away books.I love it when we get free books at playgroup. My son has loads of books most of which we have been lucky enough to be given and asks for a story about a 50 times a day and he is only 20 months. It’s definitely something to be encouraged and i find it so sad some people don’t read to their children.

Shodan Fri 12-Apr-19 19:34:58

Nobody reads Delderfield any more....... I do! My favourite is still To Serve Them All My Days though.

But I have to confess, I have sent quite a few books to Book Heaven. Gently, with no sign of bean juice. But only because I only read on my Kindle now. And I did laboriously go through the entire stack and purchase them on Kindle blush

Many of them were so old and knackered through repeated rereading that I think they were glad to go...

BasiliskStare Fri 12-Apr-19 19:35:12

Ah @Sugarhouse My point was not - don't read to children , not one jot , ( DS is 22 and I reckon I can still do the caterpillar "one green leaf " from memory - plus we're going on a bear hunt swishy swashy - Wynken Blynken and Nod plus he ( from later on ) can talk about Mortal Engines and and and - lots of others - my point was when you have a lot of books and little storage , where do they go ? I have donated books - given them away - but where we live the charity type shops cannot take any more sad

TreesoftheField Fri 12-Apr-19 19:52:06

Some charity shops will pulp unwanted books. They get money for it

WindsweptEgret Fri 12-Apr-19 20:02:32

I'd pass it on to a charity shop, certainly wouldn't throw it out. We only keep books that we really love though. DS has a small bookcase of favorite books that he likes to reread, but we borrow most books from the library, don't feel the need to own many.

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Fri 12-Apr-19 20:04:42

If it's all right with you @BertrandRussell I prefer to think word spread and it was the entire train. With announcements being made at stations on your route.

Aaaand that you and your DH were drinking (I'm picturing swigging out of the bottle) to boot!

I can see those pursed lips and hear those tuts.

shesgrownhorns Fri 12-Apr-19 20:08:32

I'm a recovering book hoarder. If you don't absolutely love and cherish it, bin it.

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Apr-19 20:21:28

Ohh this is a brilliant thread for the middle classes to compete in theit love of books and size of bookcases.
I have thrown some books away. Particularly the one that suggested to keep your relatioship on track in the period after having a baby you should give great blow jobs. Think Julia Donaldson is great, the snail and the whale is a masterpiece. I try to charity shop books where I can and was on a book swap site which folded when postage went up. I also have a small number of books I hang on to.

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Apr-19 20:22:18

However I do agree as the op describes, it was awful. At least give it a go and show some bloody gratitude

Ragwort Fri 12-Apr-19 20:28:41

There are some shocking books around though, I manage a charity shop and we are inundated with huge quantities of totally unsaleable books, (as well as many lovely ones that we can sell, thank you). Today I had a load of paperbacks from the 60s (shillings and pence on the cover) which were just soft porn. Also nobody wants your OU books from the 80s hmm.

Eliza9919 Fri 12-Apr-19 20:34:33

Throwing away or damaging a book is blasphemy in our house. We have so many we could start our own library.

OneWildNightWithJBJ Fri 12-Apr-19 20:38:43

I could never throw away a book! We send some of ours off on a Book Crossing journey. Haven't had any recorded as found yet, but it's good fun.

Quintella Fri 12-Apr-19 20:42:33

Today I had a load of paperbacks from the 60s (shillings and pence on the cover) which were just soft porn.

Loads of collectors for that kind of kitschy thing! If your charity shop also sells on ebay you might be better off selling them as a job lot there.

Moominfan Fri 12-Apr-19 20:44:04

That's so wasteful. I specifically tell people not feel any pressure to buy gifts for mine. But if they would like to, I always recommend I that they gift them books that they loved as a child and teen. Also let people know I'm not precious about second hand either. Books are always welcome gifts in our home

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Apr-19 20:50:29

I honestly don’t get this. A Jeffrey Archer someone bought at an airport? 15 Animal Arks-all read about 50 times? An out of date Chemistry text book? You keep all of those -WHY???

DarkAtEndOfTunnel Fri 12-Apr-19 20:50:42

Ex-librarian here, to make you feel better about throwing books away. We do it aaaaaall the time (you get used to the guilt).

Not Mr Men though, or anything by Julia Donaldson - absolute sacrilege - nor anything you're given as a gift. Nor that lovely black-and-white photo book they give out for babies, I still have our copy as a family treasure. Those horrible Treehouse books are some of the few I would really love to throw if I get hold of any...

Tinkoschminko Fri 12-Apr-19 21:47:41

We used to have boxes in the classroom where kids could just take a free book to keep - mostly ex-library. That was nice.

MiniMum97 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:48:45

I once spoke to a parent who said they don't read with their child because it's boring and "he'll get enough of that at school". I was really shocked that people thought that and hopefully managed to surprise that and say calmly "my son actually really loves reading, it's very different from school, it's play for him". Not sure if that changed anything. I LOVE reading and thought how sad that her little boy may well hate reading too if he's not introduced to a book until aged 5 and may well be behind others when he stars school so that may put him off. Or his mum telling him reading is boring may put him too. Very sad.

UndertheCedartree Fri 12-Apr-19 21:52:28

I don't get the idea that books can't be clutter or you can't have too many. Books can become overwhelming if you have too many just like anything else, especially if you don't have the storage for them. More books will not make your children better readers.

I'm a total bookworm and my children regularly see me reading, often on my Kindle. I don't keep many novels only a few favourites - any other hard copies get handed on to friends or charity shops. I regularly cull my non-fiction books too so I have room to update my collection. We regularly use the library to supplement our collection.

My children have many more books than me but we regularly cull theirs too to make room for new books. I've often put a nursery book straight into a charity bag or when read once as I'd rather get rid of a generic 'book people set' picture book than have to lose one of their favourites to make room on the book shelf.

Tinkoschminko Fri 12-Apr-19 21:56:41

To be fair, a lot of the general ORT scheme books sent home by schools are quite boring. It doesn’t help matters much.

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 21:57:19

Ohh this is a brilliant thread for the middle classes to compete in theit love of books and size of bookcases you know working class people can read too right?? No one has ever confused me for Middle Class

booksareace Fri 12-Apr-19 21:57:38

At my non-UK school, a streamed class was set up to encourage uptake in the humanities and literature. It recruited at Year 7 and active interest and proficiency in reading were the basic criteria.

What was interesting to note was that the maths and science teachers on the course said how much better at science and maths those students were than those recruited on other accelerated courses, even those with good maths scores.

While it can only be inferred, I wonder if the confidence/proficiency in reading in general made them so much better at the necessary reading for science and the "reading" of mathematics.

trilbydoll Fri 12-Apr-19 21:57:42

I'm convinced that books multiply when my back is turned, every time we go through them there are loads I have no memory of acquiring.

Kids books go to nursery, they get trashed there so they are happy to have a constant supply of new ones for the kids to wreck. And I'd much rather the books were being used and played with than sitting in my cupboards.

MitziTheTabbyIsMyOverlord Fri 12-Apr-19 22:02:16

That's such a lovely thing @Moominfan.

I'd happily have ripped up/burnt those bloody Biff and Chip books and that sodding glowing key!

PodgeBod Fri 12-Apr-19 22:02:32

Recently cleaning out a relatives home and got into a row with my sister about this. Dozens of new, mostly unread books from Amazon on naval history. She wanted to chuck them in the bin! I said it was an awful waste and took them with me. Which reminds me, must take them to the charity shop ASAP.

brizzlemint Fri 12-Apr-19 22:03:23

I once <whispers> threw all of my books in the bin.

echt Fri 12-Apr-19 22:04:09

Ohh this is a brilliant thread for the middle classes to compete in their love of books and size of bookcases

hmm How on earth is this a competition? Are people of any class meant to shut up about what they they like? Bit dismissive of working class people, too.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Apr-19 22:17:34

Biff and chip deserve a fate MUCH worse than bean juice!

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 22:17:51

brizzlemint
shock

TurquoiseDress Fri 12-Apr-19 22:19:28

YANBU

I love reading books! granted I dont seem to get much reading done now with 2 young children but as a child I used to get through so many and had so much pleasure from reading

DC1 is in reception and now seems to be getting the reading bug

UndertheCedartree Fri 12-Apr-19 22:22:32

I think books and reading often become a competition with parents. The only acceptable answer to 'how often do you read to your child?' is 'everday' and god forbid you don't listen to a primary child read everyday. And have shelves and shelves of books!

Krimpy Fri 12-Apr-19 22:23:55

I don't have space for endless amounts of books (despise reading on a Kindle) so have become quite choosy about those books I do hold on to. I'd always try and pass on any books I thought could still be enjoyed by someone else but have certainly thrown out books that have deserved their recycling bin fate. There are a lot of awful books out there.

PodgeBod you were right to save those books on naval history. Those will definitely find a home with an appreciative charity shop customer.

flyingspaghettimonster Fri 12-Apr-19 22:34:34

When my son was in a private school for a while they had a book tree in the atrium... it was the size of a real tree and beautoful, and had nooks and crannies all around the trunk for books. The kids could donate books they finished and choose new ones. There was a suggested 25 cent donation. I was impressed, such a cute idea. Makes me sad that just because the parents don't value books the kids are encouraged not too.

StoneofDestiny Fri 12-Apr-19 23:04:49

National Trust properties always have second hand book sales areas, and welcome them as money goes to the NT.

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Fri 12-Apr-19 23:20:50

Our charity shops won't take books for most of the year as say they have too many buy there is a recycling bank close so at least they can be made into new ones.

We only tend to have books now as gifts, any we buy ourselves we download to save on the environmental impact.

SleepingStandingUp Fri 12-Apr-19 23:32:46

I love the idea of books being recycled to make new ones and hints of the persomalities seeping into the new characters

TheSandman Fri 12-Apr-19 23:43:04

It's not just parents.

About two years ago I walked my son up to school (he was in P3 then) and realised the waste bin outside the school was FULL of books. (Not the recycle bin mind you. The Waste bin.) The school's new head had decided that the school's library was too big and just binned 90%. DD number 2 (utterly incensed) and I took the car up and rescued all we could. Some had got wet. Some we kept, most went to charity shop. I have not felt quite the same about the head since.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »