Talk

Advanced search

To ask the school to buy my children's clothes?

(196 Posts)
Ivegotbills Fri 12-Apr-19 13:19:59

DS and DD came home from school yesterday with a letter regarding new school uniform. New head is starting in September and he's doing that thing some of them do of making his mark on the school by telling everyone in it what to wear.

They already have a uniform which I have to shell out for every year for the pair of them. Now this bloke is demanding:
- new blazers. Meaning the ones we have and which fit them will be useless.
- logo trousers and skirts from a named supplier.
- branded PE kit from a named supplier. That's right, branded items to run around a field in for an hour a week.

I've worked out that this little lot will cost me £45+£45 for blazers, £63+£63 for trousers and skirts (three of each which I regard as a minimum - currently they're in supermarket clothes which I have five of each of) and £80+£80 PE kits = £401.

WIBU to write to the school requesting they provide these items which they are now stipulating are necessary in order for my children to access their "free" education?

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 21:03:20

Fine to have rules about what they can wear within school hours but not to dictate what people look like for the hours that they don't attend school - i'd have told them to fuck off with that shit
Goes against everything you were brought up to think and everything you teach hour children doesnt it.

Never judge a book by its cover
Dont bully peppe for being different
Dont be cruel and mean about other peoples appearances.

Except school

Yiu are unteachable and unemployable if your skirt is more than an inch above the knee and comes from.asda.

I'd like to see these head teachers turn away fire fighters police or paramedics for a tattoo or a bar through the nose.

"Please mam don't give me CPR in the street as I have a heart attack you are in jogging bottoms and your hair hasn't seen a brush in two days"
Yeah never gonna happen.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 21:11:37

Sarah My DSs go/went to a school that just been rated academically as one of the top in our country and they do have a uniform but they are not Hitler about it. general compliance is fine, no-one cares if they are wearing shoes with bits of colour on them or what socks they have etc and they can have their hair any way they want. Funnily enough they have very low levels of disruption/bullying issues and are very academically successful - no idea how that is possible when some kids have pink hair or boys have shaved hair or long hair or whatever.

colditz Sat 13-Apr-19 21:15:08

"Your girls blazers lasted them 7years? You talk a lot of shit."

Rude.

And wrong.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 21:29:55

You mean to say you can have purple hair and gcses?

Wow

Who'd have thought

FitMum87 Sat 13-Apr-19 21:34:47

This is really unfair. We live in one of the most expensive towns in England and my sons is starting what seems an incredible school where blazers are £25, PE kit totals £25 and that’s top shorts and socks and that’s the only compulsory things. The jumper £12 is optional. Everything else has to be the correct colour but you can but it from anywhere. We are really pleased with their fairness and making it accessible to all. Those prices seem MENTAL although not unlike some of the other schools in my area.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 21:42:27

You mean to say you can have purple hair and gcses?

More or less, we don't do GCSEs but very very academically successful. My DS had shoulder length hair and a beard in school but is still going to Uni...mad innit..grin Some of the girls wore leggings with ankle boots instead of skirts or trousers and still managed to study medicine. As I said they do have a uniform and DC are expected to wear blazer, shirt and tie with black bottom half and expected to wear black shoes but no-one gets sent home for skinny trousers or short skirts or whatever.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Sat 13-Apr-19 21:54:46

My primary school uniform for a 5 year old cost me nearly 300e. No basic non crested items and he has grown out of it all by April. That’s on top of school books and a voluntary contribution of 190e which is compulsory!

Whysoannoying Sun 14-Apr-19 00:38:11

Haven't RTFT so apologies if someone has already said this. If there are items which don't have a logo, you may be able to get them from Amazon? Our school recently introduced a tartan skirt which you could 'get from x shop for £20ish' - but actually the manufacturers make them for lots of schools and you can buy them online for much cheaper!

No help for logo'd stuff though.......

CoffeeDeprivation Sun 14-Apr-19 00:45:16

Wow, that's crazy money!
Our school has mandatory logo clothing for cardigans/jumpers (£15) and PE kit (£5-£7). Rest of branded clothing is optional (school bag, coat). They are not very expensive and the PTA organises second-hand sales twice a year with all items at £1. They always sell out but people also donate constantly because it is such great value. All the rest of items are generally from supermarket's range, except the tie, which costs a pound anyway.

GnomeDePlume Sun 14-Apr-19 06:48:45

I never get the 'it prepares them for work' argument. I have worked in a number of industries. All have had some kind of uniform for operational staff but this has been because the jobs required hard wearing clothes and, importantly, this uniform was provided by the company.

School uniform is almost never practical.

The insistence on office shoes which are unsuited to a day which starts and ends with a walk and has lots of periods where people are tramping from one room and building to another. Shoes which would not be allowed in working areas in industry yet are deemed suitable for kitchens, work shops, art rooms at school.

Who in their right mind thinks that seldom washed black polyester blazers are suitable clothing for sweaty teenagers through all weathers?

The latest fashion for tartan skirts is just about pandering to people who want to make their uniform look more like a private school's.

No, more and more, I think these these uniform changes are introduced by new Heads who want their photo in school publications next to head boy/girl in the new uniform. After that the uniform is used to remove the students who don't fit into the school's ethos. So much easier to exclude a student for wearing the wrong socks than to engage with the student's family to deal with genuine discipline or attainment problems.

Acis Sun 14-Apr-19 08:46:20

The "It prepares them for work" argument is the weakest argument ever. Loads of countries have little or nothing by way of school uniforms but manage to have police, armies, navies and health services without the staff all having breakdowns at the prospect of wearing uniforms.

Acis Sun 14-Apr-19 08:51:40

Oh do stop moaning and work out the cost per wear!!! ... Girls' blazers lasted them 7 years

Surely, Touchmybum, you can see that the cost per wear rockets up if you have to replace those blazers when they're still perfectly wearable?

mrshousty Sun 14-Apr-19 08:54:31

It would make more sense to phase them in. New starters get new uniform and IF you NEED a new uniform anyway then get the new one. If not then wear current x

MaryBerryCouldNever Sun 14-Apr-19 10:50:31

My childs school decided to change ghe uniform after gettjng the children to vote on the uniform change first, before informing the parents.

SilentSister Sun 14-Apr-19 12:07:15

Some blazers really do last several years. As I posted before, my DD''s had the same blazer throughout their secondary school. They are wool, cost £100 and are only dry cleaned once a year. We then sold them in the second hand shop for £50. I can tell you, that we regularly sell blazers that have been through several kids, although by the time you get to the absolute end, they only sell for about £20 and then get binned. Not at all unusual in private schools.

cushellekoala Sun 14-Apr-19 12:57:27

It's all very well talking about cost/wear or comparing with kitting out a child in non uniform but I'm sure that lots of parents would buy stuff as and when children needed it and not fork out several hundred pounds in one go to replace their entire wardrobe.
A state school near us has ridiculously expensive uniform all from a single supplier. Even if you bought the bare minimum i reckon would be over £350. There is a bursary if you're struggling with costs... its £70 .. which doesnt even cover 1 blazer! 🙄

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 14-Apr-19 13:27:31

Proper wool blazers will last a lot better and probably look better when they've been worn in to be fair. Ours are all those polyester things that gather bacteria and go shiny and discoloured pretty quickly

PhilomenaButterfly Tue 16-Apr-19 10:24:02

cushelle my DC would have been sent home if I'd done that. School insisted that everyone turned up in September in complete new uniform.

PhilomenaButterfly Tue 16-Apr-19 10:32:40

DD's secondary school has 2 sizes of blazer and the supplier says that the bigger size fits girls from age 12, so unless she really wrecks it it should last her 7 years.

Doza Tue 16-Apr-19 10:39:50

Just to point out not ALL Irish scools have daft uniform!
Our national school is generic polo shirts and tracksuit bottoms only the sweatshirt has a logo and it's very hard wearing!
Secondary is logo on jumper on school coat (warm waterproof O'Neill coat).
If the girls want to wear a skirt then it's a specific one but otherwise it's all plain get-it-from anywhere stuff.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 16-Apr-19 10:43:09

Your HT needs to take lessons from ours.
We are changing uniform too.

Consultation including pupils & parents.
Change decided & announced July 2018, no change for a year.
y7s come in in new uniform Sept 2019, others can change from then if they so wish.
All years except top year (y11) have to change by Sept 2020, y11 can stay in old uniform.

That's a sensible transition in my book.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »