Talk

Advanced search

To ask the school to buy my children's clothes?

(196 Posts)
Ivegotbills Fri 12-Apr-19 13:19:59

DS and DD came home from school yesterday with a letter regarding new school uniform. New head is starting in September and he's doing that thing some of them do of making his mark on the school by telling everyone in it what to wear.

They already have a uniform which I have to shell out for every year for the pair of them. Now this bloke is demanding:
- new blazers. Meaning the ones we have and which fit them will be useless.
- logo trousers and skirts from a named supplier.
- branded PE kit from a named supplier. That's right, branded items to run around a field in for an hour a week.

I've worked out that this little lot will cost me £45+£45 for blazers, £63+£63 for trousers and skirts (three of each which I regard as a minimum - currently they're in supermarket clothes which I have five of each of) and £80+£80 PE kits = £401.

WIBU to write to the school requesting they provide these items which they are now stipulating are necessary in order for my children to access their "free" education?

Pigflewpast Fri 12-Apr-19 19:26:30

Our skirts have to have the school logo on and are £24 each, the boys trousers just have to be plain navy, which aren’t common in supermarkets, so are £17 at the school supplier. Really annoying when I see the price of plain skirts and black or grey trousers in Asda. I think the blazer is about £35 at the moment and I’m not sure about pe kits which are also school logo.

GregoryPeckingDuck Fri 12-Apr-19 19:31:02

The school must be strapped for cash and doing this to raise money. Is there a PTA you could speak to instead? Maybe they could introduce a voluntary contribution so that families who can’t afford it aren’t priced out. Or if it’s for a particular project a fundraising drive? If the school is doing it to filter out students from low income families then you could look into suing them for discrimination.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 12-Apr-19 19:31:20

Uniform changes are so annoying. I’ve always bought a reasonable quantity of decent quality uniform; trousers, skirts, shirts etc, with express intention of it being in decent enough nick to hand down. It’s quite frustrating when you find the stuff you’ve kept decent can’t be used any more.

DS’s school changed shirt colour, blazer and games kit this year. So annoying to have to discard five perfectly decent shirts that could probably have done another year.

The school has the cheek to preach about the environment too and then threaten my child with detention because he went in last years colour shirt. No transition period was allowed.

LocksMyth Fri 12-Apr-19 19:59:25

My sons' school did this for their PE kits. I couldn't afford it for them both so sent them in with a generic black kit which looked similar ( tracksuit bottoms, polo shirts etc) in the same colour,but without the logo and orange detail of the official kit.

I received numerous letters home but just kept explaining my situation . It had no ill effect on either of their PE education . Just provide an affordable, similar alternative.
Schools need to understand that we cannot afford expensive uniform.

Ivegotbills Fri 12-Apr-19 20:12:23

How the fuck embroidering clothes in any way prepares children for adult life I cannot see.

And yes I do think this is about the new guy making his mark. He's certainly got his work cut out for him. Just recently we had a knife incident. Let's hope that new blazers do the trick. [\sarcasm]

Lucked Fri 12-Apr-19 20:21:30

Actually it sounds like what is actually needed is some enforceable rules rather than guidelines. The government needs to make them statutory.

Isn’t it funny how other guidelines are enforced as though it was a rule of law by schools and they act like it is out of their hands when it is actually completely at their discretion.

PhilomenaButterfly Fri 12-Apr-19 21:07:30

Try £7 a pair stripy PE socks. My friend who's had 1 DS there and has 1 DS there now says they get put in isolation if they're wearing the wrong socks. hmm

dollybird Fri 12-Apr-19 22:35:22

My DD's school had a new head this year and they are bringing in a new uniform in September. There's a transition period, but they are going the other way and making the uniform generally cheaper. Blazers no longer compulsory but optional, logo jumper compulsory (currently the other way round). Logo polo shirts to be replaced with generic white shirt. Compulsory tie. Only one skirt acceptable (pleated kilt style so more expensive). Trouser colour changed from black to grey, to avoid the skinny black trousers girls tend to wear, but can be generic ones. All in all fairly sensible changes.

SarahTancredi Fri 12-Apr-19 22:51:13

Socks? Ffs hmm

These schools are there own worst enemy.

Dds has an online supplier. You pay for delivery then pay to return then have to re pay delivery. And if you cant re order til the refund goes back through that's another few days. Order in June/July it can take weeks to arrive. Then if something is out if stock what can you do.

These one supplier and online schools need to factor this in . You cant just replace overnight in a 24 hour Tesco.

I bet the heads have a lot if fun with this

Bowerbird5 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:56:09

We've been given a dress code for September. It isn't only pupils who have to change! Not allowed to wear leggings yet we have to sit on the floor a lot. I wont add the others as too outing.

You could try going to the Governors. If enough people complain he may change.

HelpIcantfindaname Fri 12-Apr-19 23:31:59

My DD10 is in Year 5.
Sweatshirts/cardigans & polo shirts have to have school logo, which only come from 1 supplier. My daughter is 5'7" (her dad is 6'8").
Last summer, when I went online, I found the sizes didn't go big enough for her. Our deputy rang the supplier - they wouldn't let me order online as she is so tall, I had to trail to the shop where they actually had uniform in adult sizes. We bought the biggest they had so no idea what we buy this summer. I did end up buying clothes with no logo from Asda...as it took the supplier so long to get back to me about sizes, but DD doesnt like wearing those as no-one else does. & I work there so a teacher's daughter in the wrong uniform wouldnt look good. I'm already dreading the fun I'm going to have finding uniform to fit her all the way through secondary school.

Talkingfrog Fri 12-Apr-19 23:36:24

My daughter's school had a uniform change (navy or grey dresses/skirts to just navy) and a new badge.( infants and junior had merged to primary).
They allowed a transition period of a whole school year so children could carry on wearing the clothes that still fitted. The logo items cannot he bought from a previous local supplier, only online, but there us no requirement for them to wear anything with a logo. Dd doesn't - she is awkward for sizing. I won't buy online as I can't try on and don't want to have to order multiple sizes of things and pay to return.
The logo items are sometimes sold from one supplier as the school uses it t o raise funds (they get an amount for each one purchased).
Others do it, especially on skirts to stop them being worn too short.

Sawyershair Fri 12-Apr-19 23:46:35

I had NO idea schools were supposed to have more than one supplier.

DCs school (standard state academy in special measures!) has one supplier. Everything down to PE leggings is branded with the school name.

I just spent £45 on a kilt today plus £3.99 for 2nd class delivery! £50 for a blazer...£24 for a PE top! It’s ridiculous

HuntingHeffalumps Sat 13-Apr-19 00:08:49

The British obsession with uniform is just ridiculous IMO (I am British). It smacks of harking back to times when men went to the City with their umbrella and bowler hat (ie a uniform). Times have changed!!

I am a professional and whilst the men wear suits, they generally only wear a tie to client facing meeting. Women wear "smart" but no need for suits.

Other counties manage perfectly well without it. How about plain leggings/ jeans and a plain hoody as uniform?

Children know whose parents have money and whose doesn't. It shows in many ways which doesn't include uniform.

Rant over. grin

Acis Sat 13-Apr-19 08:11:52

Isolation for wearing the wrong socks? Good grief, what do they do about behaviour that's genuinely problematic?

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 08:22:00

Isolation for wearing the wrong socks? Good grief, what do they do about behaviour that's genuinely problematic?

Well if theres time to worry about socks when sports direct sell perfectly good plain black/blue football socks fir under a fiver, then there cant be any bad behaviour at the school.

I mean no one would be worrying about socks hidden by jogging bottoms.or shin pads when they have bullying or knife problems.

Would they.....

clarrylove Sat 13-Apr-19 08:25:47

They should at least sell the badge you can iron on to a blazer pocket. Have you asked for the logo in digital form? Our local shop will embroider items for £2 each so still cheaper to buy a supermarket brand and get the logo put on. With regards to initials, stitch your own on? I remember doing that at secondary for my own PE kit.

Bonkerz Sat 13-Apr-19 08:34:29

Our school did this in July last year. Announced new colour. I purchase uniform (finances and job meant Gf to buy in July as no wages in aug and sept) then in aug got email to say it was white shirts only. I'd bought purple polos (had previously been blue polo)
I refused to buy again and school bought, wash and iron the shirts. DS goes in purple and changes into their shirt.

PookieDo Sat 13-Apr-19 08:35:11

My DC have similar stupid priced uniforms and kits but imagine my pain when 1 year after DD1 started at the School, they changed the entire uniform to mark 25 yr anniversary. All year 8-11 were allowed to stay in the ‘old’ uniform which was discontinued when DD was only 12 and I did not know what size she would be at 16 so I ended up with a right load of old shit.

DD2 went in to the school that year in a new uniform so there has been no uniform sharing either!

PookieDo Sat 13-Apr-19 08:37:13

Also all kids have to carry around a uniform card and if they forget or lose the card (even if fully dressed in all the right clothes) they would get a detention

MiniEggAddiction Sat 13-Apr-19 08:38:20

Bloody hell this sounds ridiculous. £7 socks and isolation if you're not wearing them? Great way to get families struggling financially on side!

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 08:40:38

Great way to get families struggling financially on side!

They dont want then.there. that's the point.

And parents dont want their kids associating with them either so support it.

Win win hmm

GnomeDePlume Sat 13-Apr-19 08:41:31

I end up feeling a bit sorry for teachers.

A new Head comes trotting in, all shiny and keen and say. 'Hey, I've had an amazing idea which will turn the school around, improve results and discipline. Let's change the uniform!'

He then looks round the room expecting to see awe and amazement at this genuinely innovative idea. Instead he sees all the teachers' eyes rolling into the backs of their skulls. They all know that once more teaching and pastoral care time will get wasted on ensuring that 4b have all got the right socks on.

Any teacher not enthusiastically enforcing the uniform knows that they will be marked down for performance management.

I can only assume that there is a manual issued to new Heads which has a checklist. First item is 'make your mark' crossed out and replaced with a sticker saying 'change the uniform' sponsored by ACME Uniform suppliers

isabellerossignol Sat 13-Apr-19 08:46:25

My DDs PE kit is all branded Canterbury stuff, and then you have to have the child's name embroidered on it which obviously costs extra. Although, having said that, it's probably worth it because you can't appear in someone else's stolen £60 jacket and insist that it's yours. But it also means it can't be handed down between siblings...and then there is a different kit to buy if you are selected for a team. Plus hockey sticks, tennis racquets etc. The PE and games kit cost more than the uniform, and it's only worn for an hour and a half a week.

WindsweptEgret Sat 13-Apr-19 08:51:06

Logo polo shirts to be replaced with generic white shirt. Compulsory tie. That's a step backwards. I'd love it if DS could wear his logo polo shirts year round rather than just summer term. I hate the white shirts with a passion. The awful things have been soaked to get the cuffs clean and are in a pile waiting to be ironed, where they will likely stay until September.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 08:53:01

My DDs PE kit is all branded Canterbury stuff, and then you have to have the child's name embroidered on it

Schools- you must embroidery your kids name onto the pe kit. this way theres no second hand nonsense with new starters.

Also schools- dont put pictures of your child in their uniform pr anything with their name on it on social media in case someone identifies a kid in the back ground and the child needs protection.

confused

Protection a goes out the window when trying to make your school full of posh rich people though

WindsweptEgret Sat 13-Apr-19 09:03:41

Our school sells second hand embroidered PE kit. I just unpicked the name. I don't agree with it because of the additional cost of embroidery, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy new.

FloofyDoof Sat 13-Apr-19 09:08:22

School uniforms for state schools should be standard stuff that you can buy from anywhere with maybe a school specific tie and iron on blazer patch. Totally unfair to expect parents to fork out hundreds of pounds that they might well struggle to afford.

One of my DC had to wear a ridiculous ankle length kilt (state school, no other decent school within travelling distance so really no choice), which not only cost a fortune and looked awful, she was forever tripping over the bloody stupid thing too, black trousers were allowed in later years, thankfully.

ToffeePennie Sat 13-Apr-19 09:10:36

When my secondary did this they actually changed so the blazers and shirts became white polo necks and jumpers. Much cheaper and easier to keep clean. They also scrapped the ties and made the PE requirement “White tshirt and black/blue/grey jogging bottoms with the same colour hoodie for outdoor sports” that was it. My mum was chuffed because it meant she didn’t need to buy anything new - even the “logoed” jumpers she just bought plain blue ones.
For my sons uniform I’ve actually bought it all from Facebook. I think I paid about £30 for logoed jumpers/tshirts and even trousers and a full PE kit! I have tshirts and jumpers up to age 7-8 and he’s only 4. Honestly if the head isn’t offering you any options I would put in a letter of complaint to the governors.

WindsweptEgret Sat 13-Apr-19 09:22:23

Uniform also needs to be easy to care for, it should be able to be thrown in the wash and not require ironing. I think all secondary schools should allow polo shirts.

Topttumps Sat 13-Apr-19 09:35:42

Our school has a named supplier for everything bar shirts. Is that really not legal?
Thankfully though the prices are more reasonable. Even the blazers were only £33 and the trousers not much more than a next pair.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 09:52:27

I always hated polo shirts on older DC, makes them look like giant toddlers. Mine learned to iron their own shirts on starting high school. Useful skill to learn imo but appreciate loads of folk don't iron at all.

WindsweptEgret Sat 13-Apr-19 10:44:06

Toddlers? Many workplaces have a polo shirts as uniform hmm. I think 11 year old children dressed up in formal business wear looks silly and impractical myself.

I'd prefer not to iron anything. If I didn't iron the shirts then DS would wear them unironed, he doesn't care.

PhilomenaButterfly Sat 13-Apr-19 11:05:27

I don't know about behaviour at the secondary school, DD doesn't start until September, but putting pupils in isolation for wearing the wrong socks is misuse of isolation imo.

Fiveredbricks Sat 13-Apr-19 11:06:58

It wont be expected instantly. It will be as and when items wear out and new intake in the school.

PhilomenaButterfly Sat 13-Apr-19 11:10:52

It was expected by September at my DC's school. And it was more expensive than the old uniform as well.

alittleprivacy Sat 13-Apr-19 11:17:05

How do poor people in Ireland afford all this?

There is a back to school clothing and footwear allowance for lower income families of €150 for primary aged children and €275 for secondary aged children and dependant adults receiving a recognised secondary level education up to age 22. But tbh, some schools insist on "voluntary" contributions and charge for book rental schemes or books must be purchased. So that money can be eaten up quickly. That said a growing number of schools in Ireland, particularly ET schools, have no uniform at all. Qualifying families still get the allowance, so it can be spent on good shoes, hard wearing comfortable clothing, a new coat, waterproofs, etc.

Nanny0gg Sat 13-Apr-19 11:17:55

*My dd has to have a pe top and hoodie with her initials on the front in big capital letters so we are not able to have hand me downs or give hers away unless we find someone with same initials!
This name stuff is another issue agreed. Its criminal that you cant hand down especially when they so expensive*

Mine had to be embroidered on back in the day (1960s) I was so envious of the girls whose mothers where fantastic needlewomen. But the reasoning of it meant that your PE kit never went missing...

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 14:04:20

My dd has to have a pe top and hoodie with her initials on the front in big capital letters so we are not able to have hand me downs or give hers away unless we find someone with same initials!

I'd have been alright, my DSs have the same initials. When marking clothes I did A...... Smith for DS1 and then filled in the forename for DS2 so he'd have Alan Smith, this was so I could pass down but still tell DSs stuff apart. Disclaimer, not ther real names/initial...

TildaKauskumholm Sat 13-Apr-19 16:13:41

I don't have kids at school but am amazed this still goes on! I suspect these head teachers are getting a personal kickback, apart from anything going into school funds. Any head teachers on here like to comment?

zeeboo Sat 13-Apr-19 17:25:54

Where does it say that schools can't insist on specific suppliers? The link someone posted upthread was the dot gov guidance and it didn't say that at all. It said "the school uniform should be easily available for parents to purchase and schools should seek to select items that can be purchased cheaply, for example in a supermarket or other good value shop. Schools should keep compulsory branded items to a minimum and avoid specifying expensive items of uniform eg expensive outdoor coats."
Nothing in that says it can't be compulsory, just that they are encouraged to be fair to parents.

LouJJersey Sat 13-Apr-19 17:28:17

Ask the head to clarify that current items can still be worn - there should always be a crossover with new uniform items being brought in - otherwise everyone sufffers financially replacing perfectly good clothes! I’d write back and say while you respect the changes, you and countless other parents have items which fit and can’t really spend extra on new items so surely a 1 Year time lag is allowed? Obviously if the kids then need new stuff you buy the newly branded stuff then

Suewoo Sat 13-Apr-19 17:31:53

There are guidelines!https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/education/Circular%20201104%20-%20Guidance%20to%20Schools%20on%20School%20Uniform%20Policy%20%28revised%205%20June%202018%29.pdf

In particular look at : 3.2 In addition, Boards of Governors need to bear in mind the implications, in
terms of value for money and consumer choice of supplier, of uniforms often
only being available from a limited number of official suppliers. In
September 2006 the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) announced the conclusion of
its fact-finding review of the school uniform market and called on schools to
eliminate exclusive agreements with retailers. They found that such exclusive
outlets were on average 23% more expensive than school uniform retailers
generally and 150% more expensive than supermarkets. OFT also
recommended that uniforms incorporate items that are readily available “off
the peg” from a number of retail outlets. Schools should therefore ensure that
their uniform is widely available in high street shops and other retail outlets,
and internet suppliers rather than from an expensive sole supplier. Schools
that buy uniform items to sell directly to parents should be aware that they
have responsibilities under consumer law if items are not of satisfactory quality
or not fit for purpose. Schools may seek advice from the Consumer Council
here.

Hope this helps - long time Governor with responsibility for uniform!

Purplegecko Sat 13-Apr-19 17:42:09

Gosh that's more than our food budget for the month!

Vegasprincess89 Sat 13-Apr-19 17:43:40

That's crazy money. However, people seem to forget that when they send their child to a school, you enter into a contract with them. The rules need to be obeyed the same as a workplace. Schools aren't free 🤷‍♀️

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 17:50:51

Not everyone has a choice where they send their children to school.

And at some point people have to stand up and say No. Its how many rules and discriminatory or unfair policies were dropped or changed or reviewed in many different establishments in the first place.

EffYouSeeKaye Sat 13-Apr-19 18:00:02

Oh no! Definitely challenge this. Yet another head who needs to slap his 🍆 on the table to ‘establish’ himself. Oh dear.

SilentSister Sat 13-Apr-19 18:03:03

Slightly off message, but IME the more expensive the uniform, the better the quality, the less you buy and the longer you have it. Also it serves for three or four children, although as it is better quality, that can work well.

I personally think it is not a good thing generally to buy lots of cheap clothing. 5 shirts, three skirts/trousers, three jumpers.....too much throwaway stuff. My DD's only ever had three blouses, one jumper one skirt, one blazer, throughout their whole secondary school, and they were handed down blush.

jessycake Sat 13-Apr-19 18:05:19

It is getting rather like a premier league football team with some schools . it is very unfair as it means parents are unable to even buy second hand items . A lot of academy heads earn so much money they haven't a clue what goes on in the real world .

theyellowjumper Sat 13-Apr-19 18:10:51

My dd's previous school changed PE kit and then the whole uniform. There was a one year changeover (which is bad enough if your child doesn't happen to have a growth spurt during that year) and I think Y10 & 11 didn't have to change at all if their current uniform still fitted. While it's infuriating, I think you'd get a better response by politely requesting a changeover period.

£21 for trousers is ridiculous. Fair enough for them to ban skinny trousers or combat-style, but they could say something like "plain black trousers, straight leg, not tight fitting or low waisted" to give you the option of chain store ones. I think dd's old school had a list of 4 or 5 styles from M&S, Asda, Next, etc that were acceptable.

Bozlem80 Sat 13-Apr-19 18:15:13

Same at my kids high school have to buy logo blazers, skirts/trousers, logo PE kit too from one shop only! the skirt/trousers have a pathetic little tab on them with the schools initials. Only good thing is the PE tops are unisex so I can pass them down but are still £20 each, blazers are £35+ trousers are £21+ & girls trousers for some reason are more expensive even though my dd is younger than my ds, the obnoxious woman in the uniform shop must rub her hands together in glee every July/August because of the money she is taking from poor parents!

Isleepinahedgefund Sat 13-Apr-19 18:32:07

Our school might be the only one ever to have a more favourable uniform change. The new head is really hot on poverty proofing the school.

Uniform was always optional but the set uniform was all from one supplier logo'd etc, put in by the previous head for the usual make it look like I'm doing something reasons and was quite expensive, and many new parents felt compelled to buy it as

Now there is absolutely no uniform but there are still school colours so if people want to buy uniform they can stick to those. I'm surprised how many do, probably about half the school, but they can buy the uniform anywhere and for as much or as little as they can afford. Or the kids can wear their own clothes, which is what the other half of the school does.

Guess what effect not having a uniform has on the school?...... absolutely none. The school is still standing and the children are still learning. Plus the school is so colourful, it's wonderful!

VerbenaGirl Sat 13-Apr-19 18:55:01

Yes, I would definitely be asking about a transition period - which is totally standard practice. When you need to buy new uniform, you then get the new one - but not before.

nuxe1984 Sat 13-Apr-19 19:12:04

Logo trs and skirts stop them wearing non regulation items such skinny tight trs because no matter how many times you tell them certain items aren't allowed, there will always be some that think the rules don't apply to them and parents who don't think it's important to support the school in this.

Touchmybum Sat 13-Apr-19 19:30:24

Oh do stop moaning and work out the cost per wear!!! There's no need for multiples of everything - all three of mine had one blazer, one skirt/pair of trousers, 4 shirts and bunged in the washing machine/tumble dryer at the weekend. Girls' blazers lasted them 7 years. Yes a phased approach would be better but it's not like you have to buy it tomorrow.

TopBitchoftheWitches Sat 13-Apr-19 19:33:27

Your girls blazers lasted them 7years? You talk a lot of shit.

Touchmybum Sat 13-Apr-19 19:38:26

I don't. It's the truth. They aren't tall, like their mum.

You lady are extremely rude.

LaurieMarlow Sat 13-Apr-19 19:43:58

You talk a lot of shit.

Not at all.

My blazer lasted 7 years too. I basically stopped growing at 12.

DH never grew into the shoes he was bought for first year secondary with ‘room for growth’.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 19:52:01

Cost per wear means nothing when you dont have the money to re buy even basic amounts.uts not a cost you would consider at that point if your current uniform.still fitted just fine

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 19:54:58

I don't disbeieve that your blazers lasted 7 years (probably looked like shit right enough). If you have a girl that is on the small side and had an early puberty then you wont necessarily have a lot of growth to contend with. However, when I was at high school, I grew 9 inches in height - feet didn't grow at all though. My Dss were tall starting high school but ended up at 6'3 so went through a blazer virtually every year. they were also a weird blue colour so went very faded over the elbows quite quickly. At £45 a go and with both DSs the same size so no hand downs, it is an expensive business.

LaurieMarlow Sat 13-Apr-19 20:01:41

probably looked like shit right enough

Unnessarily bitchy, no? You don’t need to wash blazers much, so not in my case. And you did look like you were accusing the PP of lying,

I agree that they’re an expensive (and pointless) piece of kit though.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 20:04:05

Dont need to was blazers much?

They are 100 % polyester. You dont wanna leave it too long in between.

Our blazers and skirts require no softener.

So separate wash if 3 items .

Wasteful

LaurieMarlow Sat 13-Apr-19 20:19:10

You dont wanna leave it too long in between.

I don’t think mine was polyester.

In any case I had a shirt and a jumper on underneath it and it was barely on tbf, so no, it didn’t need washed much.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 20:20:57

Unnessarily bitchy, no? You don’t need to wash blazers much, so not in my case. And you did look like you were accusing the PP of lying,

Eh! I totally believe they lasted 7 years, but having picked up from high school for 6 years, I've seen some of the blazers that have been worn for many years and they look like shit by then. And in what world do they not need washed regularly? Ds1 wasn't too bad and probably just need chucked in the wash every few weeks but DS2 needed his washed virtually every week.

catontherun Sat 13-Apr-19 20:22:57

My dc unfortunately have to wear 100% polyester blazers.

My sense of smell isn't particularly acute but even in winter, when due to the outdoor waIk-ways between classrooms the synthetic fibre/teenage body combination problem is at its lowest ebb, the whiff of "eau-de-secondary school" is tickling the nostrils after a couple of weeks.

Headteachers seem to come and go much more frequently these days and I think that, unless the school is prepared to pay for it (and therefore act in a financially incompetent manner given the cut backs in education in recent years), then a new head should not be permitted to alter logo'd elements/or colour of the school uniform if it was changed at any time in the previous 7 years.

LaurieMarlow Sat 13-Apr-19 20:26:15

but having picked up from high school for 6 years, I've seen some of the blazers that have been worn for many years and they look like shit by then

I’ve answered all this above and yes, it was bitchy.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 20:29:17

but having picked up from high school for 6 years, I've seen some of the blazers that have been worn for many years and they look like shit by then
Kinda proves they cant have it both ways though doesnt it. That they cant have some expensive and pain in arse to source uniform and have kids look smart and presentable.

And it also proves that this leveller shit is just that. Shit. As if people cant tell those who have brand new fitted blazers and those that have been handed down or bought over sized and only one so its washed and worn to fuck.

Nimmykins Sat 13-Apr-19 20:29:30

Go to the press with this and get more parents on board. There should be a phased introduction.

Poverty proofing the school day is a thing and in my area there's been a city-wide programme to look at everything from the uniforms to trips and things like World Book Day.

Senior school kids are looking at making second hand uniform a cool and environmentally conscious decision.

cushellekoala Sat 13-Apr-19 20:29:57

I don't think its unreasonable to want/need 2 skirts or pair of trousers.if they got dirty one day, i wouldnt want to wash, dry and iron for next day (pleated skirt doesnt look great if not ironed). Dd is small but getting her a new blazer after nearly 2 years as hers looks really scruffy. It was £34 so not mega expensive but the buttons fell off within weeks! Also 1 set of shirts she had outgrown in 1 term, i was glad they were m and s ones and not school branded!

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 20:40:09

Uniform isn't really about leveling no matter how much they say it, it's really about control and power tripping. It's perfectly possible to have DC wear normal clothes without it being a pissing contest and Dc will find something to bully others over whether or not they are all wearing the same clothes.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 20:46:44

Fully agree wax

For a developed country England educational standards are shit in alot of schools. Other countries manage just fine.

Its bullying that needs addressing most of all.

Itsokaynow Sat 13-Apr-19 20:48:45

Our School did actually provide all existing students with the new uniform design free of charge. They completely changed the colour of the jumpers.

puppy23 Sat 13-Apr-19 20:49:30

Most schools seem to be going that way nowadays, ours currently has specific skirts & jumpers (both of which switch to a new colour after two years), blouses, blazers, ties, pe kit, coat, bag, i think even water bottle??? And these are all logo'd or different to anything you'l find outside of the one school approved shop.

Interesting reading about some PPs comments about this one shop only rubbish not being allowed - it defo shouldn't be. Give it a few years and it'll infiltrate down to primarys too.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 20:55:20

For a developed country England educational standards are shit in alot of schools. Other countries manage just fine.

I'm not in England but ours are shit too.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 20:58:19

As i said earlier, i'm ambivalent bout uniform if a sensible approach is taken then, meh.

However what I can't believe is how schools have been allowed to get away with dictating hair styles etc.

Fine to have rules about what they can wear within school hours but not to dictate what people look like for the hours that they don't attend school - i'd have told them to fuck off with that shit.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 21:03:20

Fine to have rules about what they can wear within school hours but not to dictate what people look like for the hours that they don't attend school - i'd have told them to fuck off with that shit
Goes against everything you were brought up to think and everything you teach hour children doesnt it.

Never judge a book by its cover
Dont bully peppe for being different
Dont be cruel and mean about other peoples appearances.

Except school

Yiu are unteachable and unemployable if your skirt is more than an inch above the knee and comes from.asda.

I'd like to see these head teachers turn away fire fighters police or paramedics for a tattoo or a bar through the nose.

"Please mam don't give me CPR in the street as I have a heart attack you are in jogging bottoms and your hair hasn't seen a brush in two days"
Yeah never gonna happen.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 21:11:37

Sarah My DSs go/went to a school that just been rated academically as one of the top in our country and they do have a uniform but they are not Hitler about it. general compliance is fine, no-one cares if they are wearing shoes with bits of colour on them or what socks they have etc and they can have their hair any way they want. Funnily enough they have very low levels of disruption/bullying issues and are very academically successful - no idea how that is possible when some kids have pink hair or boys have shaved hair or long hair or whatever.

colditz Sat 13-Apr-19 21:15:08

"Your girls blazers lasted them 7years? You talk a lot of shit."

Rude.

And wrong.

SarahTancredi Sat 13-Apr-19 21:29:55

You mean to say you can have purple hair and gcses?

Wow

Who'd have thought

FitMum87 Sat 13-Apr-19 21:34:47

This is really unfair. We live in one of the most expensive towns in England and my sons is starting what seems an incredible school where blazers are £25, PE kit totals £25 and that’s top shorts and socks and that’s the only compulsory things. The jumper £12 is optional. Everything else has to be the correct colour but you can but it from anywhere. We are really pleased with their fairness and making it accessible to all. Those prices seem MENTAL although not unlike some of the other schools in my area.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 13-Apr-19 21:42:27

You mean to say you can have purple hair and gcses?

More or less, we don't do GCSEs but very very academically successful. My DS had shoulder length hair and a beard in school but is still going to Uni...mad innit..grin Some of the girls wore leggings with ankle boots instead of skirts or trousers and still managed to study medicine. As I said they do have a uniform and DC are expected to wear blazer, shirt and tie with black bottom half and expected to wear black shoes but no-one gets sent home for skinny trousers or short skirts or whatever.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Sat 13-Apr-19 21:54:46

My primary school uniform for a 5 year old cost me nearly 300e. No basic non crested items and he has grown out of it all by April. That’s on top of school books and a voluntary contribution of 190e which is compulsory!

Whysoannoying Sun 14-Apr-19 00:38:11

Haven't RTFT so apologies if someone has already said this. If there are items which don't have a logo, you may be able to get them from Amazon? Our school recently introduced a tartan skirt which you could 'get from x shop for £20ish' - but actually the manufacturers make them for lots of schools and you can buy them online for much cheaper!

No help for logo'd stuff though.......

CoffeeDeprivation Sun 14-Apr-19 00:45:16

Wow, that's crazy money!
Our school has mandatory logo clothing for cardigans/jumpers (£15) and PE kit (£5-£7). Rest of branded clothing is optional (school bag, coat). They are not very expensive and the PTA organises second-hand sales twice a year with all items at £1. They always sell out but people also donate constantly because it is such great value. All the rest of items are generally from supermarket's range, except the tie, which costs a pound anyway.

GnomeDePlume Sun 14-Apr-19 06:48:45

I never get the 'it prepares them for work' argument. I have worked in a number of industries. All have had some kind of uniform for operational staff but this has been because the jobs required hard wearing clothes and, importantly, this uniform was provided by the company.

School uniform is almost never practical.

The insistence on office shoes which are unsuited to a day which starts and ends with a walk and has lots of periods where people are tramping from one room and building to another. Shoes which would not be allowed in working areas in industry yet are deemed suitable for kitchens, work shops, art rooms at school.

Who in their right mind thinks that seldom washed black polyester blazers are suitable clothing for sweaty teenagers through all weathers?

The latest fashion for tartan skirts is just about pandering to people who want to make their uniform look more like a private school's.

No, more and more, I think these these uniform changes are introduced by new Heads who want their photo in school publications next to head boy/girl in the new uniform. After that the uniform is used to remove the students who don't fit into the school's ethos. So much easier to exclude a student for wearing the wrong socks than to engage with the student's family to deal with genuine discipline or attainment problems.

Acis Sun 14-Apr-19 08:46:20

The "It prepares them for work" argument is the weakest argument ever. Loads of countries have little or nothing by way of school uniforms but manage to have police, armies, navies and health services without the staff all having breakdowns at the prospect of wearing uniforms.

Acis Sun 14-Apr-19 08:51:40

Oh do stop moaning and work out the cost per wear!!! ... Girls' blazers lasted them 7 years

Surely, Touchmybum, you can see that the cost per wear rockets up if you have to replace those blazers when they're still perfectly wearable?

mrshousty Sun 14-Apr-19 08:54:31

It would make more sense to phase them in. New starters get new uniform and IF you NEED a new uniform anyway then get the new one. If not then wear current x

MaryBerryCouldNever Sun 14-Apr-19 10:50:31

My childs school decided to change ghe uniform after gettjng the children to vote on the uniform change first, before informing the parents.

SilentSister Sun 14-Apr-19 12:07:15

Some blazers really do last several years. As I posted before, my DD''s had the same blazer throughout their secondary school. They are wool, cost £100 and are only dry cleaned once a year. We then sold them in the second hand shop for £50. I can tell you, that we regularly sell blazers that have been through several kids, although by the time you get to the absolute end, they only sell for about £20 and then get binned. Not at all unusual in private schools.

cushellekoala Sun 14-Apr-19 12:57:27

It's all very well talking about cost/wear or comparing with kitting out a child in non uniform but I'm sure that lots of parents would buy stuff as and when children needed it and not fork out several hundred pounds in one go to replace their entire wardrobe.
A state school near us has ridiculously expensive uniform all from a single supplier. Even if you bought the bare minimum i reckon would be over £350. There is a bursary if you're struggling with costs... its £70 .. which doesnt even cover 1 blazer! 🙄

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 14-Apr-19 13:27:31

Proper wool blazers will last a lot better and probably look better when they've been worn in to be fair. Ours are all those polyester things that gather bacteria and go shiny and discoloured pretty quickly

PhilomenaButterfly Tue 16-Apr-19 10:24:02

cushelle my DC would have been sent home if I'd done that. School insisted that everyone turned up in September in complete new uniform.

PhilomenaButterfly Tue 16-Apr-19 10:32:40

DD's secondary school has 2 sizes of blazer and the supplier says that the bigger size fits girls from age 12, so unless she really wrecks it it should last her 7 years.

Doza Tue 16-Apr-19 10:39:50

Just to point out not ALL Irish scools have daft uniform!
Our national school is generic polo shirts and tracksuit bottoms only the sweatshirt has a logo and it's very hard wearing!
Secondary is logo on jumper on school coat (warm waterproof O'Neill coat).
If the girls want to wear a skirt then it's a specific one but otherwise it's all plain get-it-from anywhere stuff.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 16-Apr-19 10:43:09

Your HT needs to take lessons from ours.
We are changing uniform too.

Consultation including pupils & parents.
Change decided & announced July 2018, no change for a year.
y7s come in in new uniform Sept 2019, others can change from then if they so wish.
All years except top year (y11) have to change by Sept 2020, y11 can stay in old uniform.

That's a sensible transition in my book.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »