Talk

Advanced search

I have no clothes

(22 Posts)
namechanger1689 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:11:00

That's a lie, I do have clothes...

I left my ex, who was/is abusive. He's done some pretty deplorable things and I don't really know what to do from here onwards.

He's still in our house, I've officially moved out. He's destroyed a lot of my stuff and I can't safely get my clothes back (I'm sure he's probably disposed of them anyway).

So I have a few tops, jeans and underwear. I'm going back to work fairly soon and have no smart work clothes, very little that fits me. I've just had a baby so my old clothes are far too tight.

I can't afford much as I'm on SMP. I've been to charity shops but can't find much that fits me properly as my body is now such a weird ugly shape.

Can anyone recommend anywhere other than primark where I can get cheap clothes? I say other than primark as I need clothes that will last and really don't like how disposable primark clothes are. It's terrible for the environment and means I'll have to buy again soon...

Help sad

BlackInk Fri 12-Apr-19 11:13:01

Where are you OP, maybe someone here could donate something... I will if I'm near and we are similar sizes x

formerbabe Fri 12-Apr-19 11:13:02

Look on ebay.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Fri 12-Apr-19 11:14:55

This charity supplies smart for interviews to women. And career advice.

https://smartworks.org.uk/who-we-are/

WinterIsComing84 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:15:26

I buy loads on eBay. I've had so many good bargains.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Fri 12-Apr-19 11:15:53

Smart clothes for women that should have said. Good luck. thanks

LuxuryWoman2018 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:16:39

Sainsbury’s are quite good quality, comparable to next, they have a 25% off coming up I believe. Ask if any friends are having a clear out too.

HavelockVetinari Fri 12-Apr-19 11:27:52

What size are you? I have TONS of nice work clothing that I never wear, and need a clearout, if you're an 8/10 you're welcome to it.

MammaMia19 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:31:11

I often get some nice tops and clothes from Tesco! Also new look seems about the same price point as Primark lately.

needsleepzzz Fri 12-Apr-19 11:33:51

Matalan/Asda/Morrisons all have nice clothes. Well done on getting out OP

Jupiters Fri 12-Apr-19 11:34:40

I second eBay... I get lots of my clothes off there.

Jackshouse Fri 12-Apr-19 11:35:22

H and m.

Nanasueathome Fri 12-Apr-19 11:37:09

We need a bit more information
Where are you OP and what size are you?
Do you prefer trousers/skirts and tops or dresses?

PurpleDaisies Fri 12-Apr-19 11:37:18

Supermarkets are good for cheap clothes.

Readytogogogo Fri 12-Apr-19 11:38:31

Definitely ebay

QuestionableMouse Fri 12-Apr-19 11:39:35

I would normally never suggest a catalogue but in this case somewhere like fashion world might be an idea just to get you a couple of outfits that you can pay off once you're working.

Oliversmumsarmy Fri 12-Apr-19 11:41:09

Wouldn’t you call the police so they can accompany you to get your possessions back

GinasGirl Fri 12-Apr-19 11:44:13

I wear a mix for work, but the best price is my stuff from H&M and Sainsbury's tu. I've bought great trousers and shirts for work from both that have lasted ages.

gingergiraffe Fri 12-Apr-19 23:04:09

M&S have lots of really cheap sale items on racks. Possibly better quality and cheaper than some supermarkets and more up to date than charity shops.

Holidayshopping Fri 12-Apr-19 23:05:36

H+M is your friend for basics!

WithAllIntenseAndPurposes Fri 12-Apr-19 23:23:29

Do you have a dv worker who can point you in the right direction ?

AuntieStella Fri 12-Apr-19 23:26:23

Sainsbury or Asda

If you can get a decent jacket in a classic/basic colour (I'd go for navy, otherwise black or grey), that will make many other outfits look 'office smart'. Assuming office smart is what you are shopping for - what is the norm in your sector?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »