Talk

Advanced search

To be so angry I feel I could burst?

(8 Posts)
TiredFedUpNanny Fri 13-Jul-07 18:55:27

I don't usually get extended road rage. I might get worked up in the heat of the moment, but it soon subsides.

But tonight, on my way home from work, I turned into a new road at a junction, and there were two kids of around 14 or 15 years of age, both boys, just walking and fooling around in the middle of the road near the give way lines. I didn't see them because they were set back a bit and because of the angle of the road, and whilst I was driving slowly and carefully, these boys took me by surprise and my split-second reaction was to slam on the breaks, despite not driving at much speed at all. My ABS kicked in and it makes a hell of a noise, but I stopped about 2 or 3 inches from these boys who then decided to run to the other side of the road shouting obsenities at me and showing their middle fingers and the v sign.

I was so shaken by it and was almost sick when I drove the rest of the mile home. I was driving carefully and slowly but had I been going any faster or paying less attention, as some people do, I could have hit them; while I doubt my peugeot 107 would have killed them, they could have been seriously hurt through their own foolish behaviour. Granted there is only a grass makeshift path, but even with no path they should have some common sense and walk towards the traffic in single file at the edge of the road. Even double breasted I could have gone round them, but not while they are dancing in and out of the white lines in the middle of the road.

Their abuse after it just baffled me. I did nothing wrong, 'twas them. I suppose I should also say that our best friend killed a young child riding her bike, last summer, which was NOT his fault, but he may go to jail for it. So this kind of thing where some children have no respect for road users, really makes me cross. Good job I'm a careful, over-zealous driver.

TiredFedUpNanny Fri 13-Jul-07 18:57:15

Was going to say: Am I being unreasonable to feel cross at these boys!?

Lauriefairycake Fri 13-Jul-07 18:58:14

"You stopped 2 or 3 inches from them"

then comfort yourself with the fact that you probably scared them with the noisy ABS and their overreaction with anger was probably because of fear.

You did the right thing and hopefully you made them think twice next time.

Lauriefairycake Fri 13-Jul-07 18:59:10

And No you are not being unreasonable to feel angry - <passes you large brandy>

edam Fri 13-Jul-07 18:59:14

That must have been a huge shock, suggest you pour yourself a glass of something medicinal.

MaccaMacca Fri 13-Jul-07 19:02:20

So please I have never been in these circumstances as I have anger management problems.

Have a drink.

OrmIrian Fri 13-Jul-07 19:03:54

No. You are not. You did well to stop in time. Boys were probably scared into dropping their cool for 2 milliseconds, hence their reaction. Ignore them.

helenhismadwife Sun 15-Jul-07 11:45:28

that must have been terrifying for you, I imagine the boys were like others say scared and needing a change of trousers which is why they reacted the way they did. Not your fault and YANBU

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: