Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to go to GP about hair loss that only I notice?

(10 Posts)
HairTodayGoingTomorrow Fri 12-Apr-19 08:12:57

I'm lucky that I have always had very thick (straight) hair.
I went grey early in my 40s and it is now mostly silver.
Physically, I am very average, the only thing that ever gets compliments is my hair.
Passing acquaintances will say what a great cut or colour it is, so my hair is very important to me.
But I am losing it at an alarming rate.
Because I started out with a lot, no one really would notice, but I am constantly picking hairs off my neck and clothes, and last night out of my dinner!
It's bulk has definitely reduced, I can tell when I dry it or clip it back.

I'm worried at the current rate of loss, it will start looking noticeably thinner soon.

If I go to see my GP, will he think I am a silly vain woman?

KillerSpider Fri 12-Apr-19 10:47:20

You should discuss this with your GP. Hair loss can be indicative of poor health, vitamin deficiency or an under active thyroid.

Bringbackthestripes Fri 12-Apr-19 10:50:08

Go! I ignored my hair loss for too long. Turned out to be an under active thyroid and low iron. I left it so long I also lost the outer 1/3 of my eyebrows. A couple of blood tests will let you know if it is due to any underlying condition or just one of those things.

ScreamScreamIceCream Fri 12-Apr-19 10:56:14

Do you have any other symptoms and signs? Have you recently started or changed medication including the pill? Have you had a coil or implants inserted?

The thing is hair loss can be caused by loads of things including some medications and I've found some GPs don't take your seriously if you don't mention anything that can narrow it down even if those other things seem trivial.

Even then there are some GPs who are dismissive of hair loss with loads of other signs and symptoms, and you have to go to different medical practitioners in the same practice or even completely change practices, like one of my friends' did, to get what the issue is.

MordredsOrrery Fri 12-Apr-19 11:10:52

Definitely go.

I had this last year and it turned out to be folate deficiency. It is happening again now despite supplements and given family history could be the start of pernicious anaemia.

Always get checked with this stuff

HairTodayGoingTomorrow Fri 12-Apr-19 11:26:54

Thank you for your responses.
I am worried that it might be my thyroid (hair loss is a symptom of both hypo and hyper thyroidism). Or something else medical.
I'm quite happy to pay to see a tricholigist privately but I know that the first thing they will do is check my thyroid.

I was a bit worried that he won't take me seriously as my hair looks pretty normal to an outsider, although when I mentioned to a friend I hadn't seen for 6 months, she said she thought I'd had my hair layered as it looked different.

What will be awkward is that my GP is only 40 or so and he is already almost bald....

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Fri 12-Apr-19 11:32:28

Hair loss is women is totally different from hair in men (obviously!). Please go to the GP.

HairTodayGoingTomorrow Fri 12-Apr-19 12:01:18

I'm reassured thank you.
I've made an appointment for next week.

Tinkerballs1 Fri 12-Apr-19 12:18:45

Try biotin supplements, they've made a massive difference to my hair

Bringbackthestripes Fri 12-Apr-19 16:27:00

What will be awkward is that my GP is only 40 or so and he is already almost bald....
grin

glad you have booked though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »