Talk

Advanced search

How do not come across as a crabbit old battle axe?

(12 Posts)
turnitdownanotch Thu 11-Apr-19 23:46:32

I live in a block of flats which, although old, seem to have spit through walls!

I can often hear conversations my downstairs neighbour has with her son as she talks to him from one room to another, and probably she hears mine!

But lately she seems to watch the tv really late at night/early morning, in the room directly below my bedroom and I can't bear it anymore. I don't know what's she watching, but there's often screaming, like it's Jackass or something! It's obviously not overly loud to her, but I'm struggling.

Is it wrong to put a note through her door? I can hear it now, but I can't do anything at this time of night, can I? It went on til about 2.30 this morning.

I don't know her at all. We just say hello in passing. It's not her fault, but I can't live with it much more.

Mrsjayy Thu 11-Apr-19 23:50:27

You might need to strike up a conversation with her and say you can hear the tv at night she might not realise how loud it is. Or get earplugs

Cherrysoup Thu 11-Apr-19 23:56:16

Another vote for earplugs. Or can you shift your bedroom and lounge around?

Mrsjayy Fri 12-Apr-19 00:07:29

Day to day noise you can't really help in flatsespecially but the telly on loud in the middle of the night is taking it to far

turnitdownanotch Fri 12-Apr-19 00:12:23

I've tried earplugs, but they were really uncomfortable. Just cheap ones from work though. Any recommendations?

Swapping rooms isn't an option as the windows in the living room are so bad, I can hear every car that passes outside.

thisisalawfulinvestigationmaam Fri 12-Apr-19 00:15:39

I use the blown foam ones - I get them from eBay, you have to twist them a lot before you put them in and then they expand.....look for motorbike ones as a lot of bikers wear earplugs when riding.

Mummymummums Fri 12-Apr-19 00:25:24

I find white noise very helpful to drown out unwanted noise - a fan on a timer or a sound box playing rainforest noises on a timer. Once you've fallen asleep the tv probably won't wake you.

turnitdownanotch Fri 12-Apr-19 00:33:11

Yes, the boiler is actually making its usual hum through the wall and I can sleep fine with that. But when that clicks off, it will just be her tv and that's totally different.

I've just ordered some foam ear plugs, so will see how they go.

Nearlythere1 Fri 12-Apr-19 01:03:18

OP, if you can't get this sorted and can spare or save up for the money, Bose noise cancelling headphones are the best thing I have ever used. I borrowed a pair when I was working from home and had new neighbours playing music all the time. The over-ear kind are very light and well-cushioned and comfortable. Granted, you have to sleep on your back or position yourself on your side between pillows not to squash them, but they saved my life. They're about £250 though!!! However, they have paid for themselves many times over in quality of life in a flat now!

turnitdownanotch Fri 12-Apr-19 01:10:32

Thanks @Nearlythere1 but I really can't sleep on my back or imagine sleeping as you say. Even in-ear plugs, I think I'll probably struggle with as I sleep on my ears! But they are cheap enough to try out! I know I didn't get on well with the little silicone cone shaped ones, but they had the wee sticky out legs.

Nearlythere1 Fri 12-Apr-19 01:22:42

Yes it is an adjustment to try to sleep comfortably in them! Well best of luck, since your neighbour isn't a completely self-centred 20-something party-animal you might be able to reason with her! There's so many posts about quality of life in flats affected by noise, it's truly soul destroying!!

Incidentally, my way of not disturbing the neighbours when I watch tv at night is to get an earphone extension cable, plug into tv, then plug into your earphones. Mine's is 5 meters long so can happily watch in bed without disturbing anybody. Maybe you could buy her one, again if she's willing to be reasonable smile Can you tell i've spent a long time trying to be considerate/trying to get neighbours to be considerate to me?!!

thisisalawfulinvestigationmaam Fri 12-Apr-19 06:51:31

@turnitdownanotch - they're not in far enough if you can feel them sticking out when you lie down!! They should be in far enough that they're level with the helix of your ear.
I twist them lick them to help them go in far enough!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: