Talk

Advanced search

To go down this route with education?

(62 Posts)
ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 21:56:35

Background, early 20's, never attended uni.

I'm wanting to study Law, but would need to move in the next year to attend the desired one (I have all the grades & requirements to get in and if I don't get into that specific one there are still plenty of good ones nearby)

Am I BU to do the first year of a law degree online (with the open uni) then transfer the credits and start in the second year at a brick uni?

I need the year to move properly and find somewhere (will be renting but it's a good potential 45min-2hrs move away from where I am right now) and DP will be moving with me so we'd ideally like another year to get sorted.

So in overview:
I'd start my degree first year online in September.
Apply for desired uni's as 2nd year entry (and hopefully get in) whilst looking at potential property.
Once accepted we will start making the move (hopefully between Feb & May time).
Be settled in by September to start the academic year in year 2 of the degree.

Would this work? Anyone have any experience doing something similar?

Thanks!

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:39:46

@titchy RG's always are first choice aren't they. I don't think I'm good enough to get into one, but no harm in wasting one UCAS choice in applying anyway. It's just a nightmare as it all involves moving!

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:42:29

@theotherblonde You're so inspiring! That's amazing that you went to uni later on too, helps calm my nerves a bit smile

Thank you so much, you're right, University is just a vessel, there's so much more that goes into having a career eventually and I should take it a step at a time.

I will definitely sign up for an open day, pretty sure they have some in the summer I could attend.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:43:39

@Holidayshopping Wow, that's shocking! Puts things into perspective, good luck to them, they must be feeling so stressed and desperate.

You'd think there would be more and more jobs being created as the demand is high for the degrees but apparently not.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:44:10

@Mosaic123 Does accountancy involve a lot of maths? It's definitely not my strong suite!grin

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:45:36

@InspectorClouseauMNdivision It went really well! I got a distinction grin worked my ass off, it was a lot harder than I expected it to be as well.

theotherblonde Thu 11-Apr-19 23:46:08

@ncforadvicenow

You are welcome, I am glad to inspire.

I studied business so probably different to law but I do really hope you get what you want.

A step at a time is exactly my point. I never thought about what job I would do in college or am I going to university, I just kept rising when one door closed. I am going to private message you.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:47:15

@InspectorClouseauMNdivision and yes I meet all the entry requirements for Kent. Probably could have a better maths gcse though! (I got a C)

When I did my a levels I didn't chose law so that's why I had to do an access course as most unis want relevant law study to be accepted onto a degree.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:47:47

@theotherblonde How do I find private messages? (I'm on the app!)

Thankssmile

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:49:05

I'll be back in a bit, got to wash up and put the laundry away☹️

Thank you everyone for your replies and experiences so far, it's given me so much to think about!

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 11-Apr-19 23:49:29

@ncforadvicenow that's great! 45 Distinctions can get you into any uni.

Re the puppilages. There is about 4000 people applying every year but only about 400-500 pupillages. It's much easier with training contract.

Pps are right. Law can be quite universal. You don't have to be a barrister or solicitor. There are lots of options.

Mosaic123 Thu 11-Apr-19 23:51:59

Not too much complicated maths. If you were a good A level standard that would be fine. There's lots of learning and applying rules to different situations. Not so different from law in a way. In a recession or a boom accountants are in demand.

Holidayshopping Fri 12-Apr-19 09:40:01

For example, aim for a 1st class degree, get involved in clubs and societies such as the law society in your university, gain internships during the summer and do a study abroad for a semester.

This is very sensible advice!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »