Talk

Advanced search

To go down this route with education?

(62 Posts)
ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 21:56:35

Background, early 20's, never attended uni.

I'm wanting to study Law, but would need to move in the next year to attend the desired one (I have all the grades & requirements to get in and if I don't get into that specific one there are still plenty of good ones nearby)

Am I BU to do the first year of a law degree online (with the open uni) then transfer the credits and start in the second year at a brick uni?

I need the year to move properly and find somewhere (will be renting but it's a good potential 45min-2hrs move away from where I am right now) and DP will be moving with me so we'd ideally like another year to get sorted.

So in overview:
I'd start my degree first year online in September.
Apply for desired uni's as 2nd year entry (and hopefully get in) whilst looking at potential property.
Once accepted we will start making the move (hopefully between Feb & May time).
Be settled in by September to start the academic year in year 2 of the degree.

Would this work? Anyone have any experience doing something similar?

Thanks!

Crunchymum Thu 11-Apr-19 22:45:30

So have you already discounted law? In the space of an hour?shock

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 22:45:54

@Divgirl2 A civil service apprenticeship sounds good. I really do love Law but I know how hard & competitive it is. I'm scared to do it and then find it so hard & potentially come out with a crap grade.blush

jellycatspyjamas Thu 11-Apr-19 22:46:43

I think mature entry applies to anyone over 21 and the requirements tend to be a bit more flexible. Embrace your “mature” status grin

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 22:47:18

@Crunchymum no? I haven't discounted it😂 I just have lots of options to look into now, aside from a traditional law degree. Some of these options will allow me to do a legal apprenticeship whilst earning too.

I've been thinking since last September, still debating hence why I didn't apply for uni this year.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 22:47:30

@jellycatspyjamas gringrin

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 22:50:16

I wish now I'd gone straight onto uni at 18 but I just didn't know what I wanted to do at that time, I started the law access course literally on a whim as something to do and ended up loving it!

If I had gone to uni though I wouldn't have met my perfect OH. (And I'd probably have done a random degree I wasn't passionate about like psychology).

justmyview Thu 11-Apr-19 22:50:43

www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/

Figure8 Thu 11-Apr-19 22:55:22

Have a look at degree apprenticeships on:
Notgoingtouni
Prospects ( it's under the work experience tab)
Civil service jobs.... to start with.

There are some really interesting opportunities out there.
😊

Holidayshopping Thu 11-Apr-19 22:56:25

I don’t actually any lawyers who did a law degree! Most of my friends did English and then a conversion. I’d look closely at the path you’re choosing-you definitely aren’t choosing a degree that will get you a job. You are choosing a degree that might put you on the first rung of the ladder up to get a job, and if you do the first year through the OU, it might be that won’t help you at all. Being a lawyer is incredibly competitive-competing against very academic candidates with very strong A levels. Do make sure you research this properly in advance.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 22:57:11

@justmyview Thank you!

Do you think I could visit a law firm in my town and ask for some work experience (free of course) to maybe do some office admin in a legal sector? That would look great on a uni application right?

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 22:58:55

@Holidayshopping Interesting, I honestly didn't know there were so many routes into a legal career to be honest. It's so good to hear lots of alternatives. I could still work in a legal career but not be an actual lawyer. Less competitive maybe and I'll probably earn money quicker.

Divgirl2 Thu 11-Apr-19 23:01:28

@justmyview nearly 40,000 law students in just one year and just in England and Wales?!

It's official - law is the new psychology

titchy Thu 11-Apr-19 23:02:54

Do you think I could visit a law firm in my town and ask for some work experience

Law work experience tends to be booked up two years in advance, by current undergraduates and are very very competitive.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:05:58

@titchy my towns very small, I doubt it's booked up by law graduates grin

No harm in trying right? I could do basic office admin?

Divgirl2 Thu 11-Apr-19 23:10:26

Titchy is right. Competition is so fierce you'll get graduates offering to work for free.

Getting into university won't be the issue, it's getting into a related job that will be tough. Go on to any big name law firm's vacancies page, they're all listing a law degree as desirable for paralegals.

If you want something to put on your UCAS statement volunteer for CAB, but getting on to the course isn't going to be an issue in all likelihood.

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:13:01

@Divgirl2 Yeah it sounds like getting the degree is the easy part! What a nightmaresad I'm not spectacular either, nothing special so I'm sure RG graduates are what people want these days. I'd never get into a RG.

Volunteering for CAB is doable, I've looked there before to volunteer just for something to do!smile actual jobs are hard to come by here.

Figure8 Thu 11-Apr-19 23:14:32

Just work experience may be fine. I'd try.
😊

theotherblonde Thu 11-Apr-19 23:16:31

@Figure8

The only way your going to know for sure whether you can transfer into year 2 after doing online for year 1 is if you contact the university you want to transfer into and ask them!

Most universities have 2nd and 3rd year entry from collage but it also depends on the course. I was third year entry after a HND and today I am doing a PhD.

I do not know much about law but why do you need to go to a university far away and move? Is there none very good universities near you? Starting university is hard enough never mind the hassle of a new town and somewhere that your friends and family will not be at!

Its hard to give advice on university specifics when you are not giving the names of the institutions?

Also, why do you think you will waste time at university and end up with no job prospects? That is completely rubbish and a bad attitude to have. Look, you just need to work hard in life and keep going up and accessing all the opportunities you can get. If you study law and your passion is to be a lawyer then do not settle for anything less as you are very young. During your studies you can try and get an internship during the summer in a law firm and then even if you do not do your undergraduate degree at one of the best uni's you can always do your masters somewhere that is higher ranking.

Look for courses that are industry focused also. The other thing is that most universities degrees are so transferable as you learn skills in presentation, time management, writing etc that you can potentially change careers after you get your degree if you wanted. You can decide later after studying law that you want to do a masters in something completely different.

The other thing is the the thought or idea about studying a particular course is very different to actually studying that and working within that field. For example, I felt for many years that I wanted to work in HR and then did a summer internship in HR and I hated it. So when I went to uni I made sure I changed to marketing.

I do not know if its possible but look for a university also that allows you to change your major up and until the end of 2nd year. In my university you can do so if you start of on law in 1st year you will also choose electives in other studies so by the end of second year at the latest you can find yourself studying law and Spanish or law and business or even you chucked the law and are studying economics for example. A lot of people go to university and struggle because they are not passionate about a course that they really thought was their dream. So this is a good option also if you can find a uni that has this flexibility.

I would also say you do not need a Russell Group university as my uni is not Russell Group but its very high in rankings and is highly regarded. Just stay clear of universities that has recently changed from a college to a university.

I wish you the best of luck!

ncforadvicenow Thu 11-Apr-19 23:22:59

@theotherblonde it's great to hear from someone with previous experiences! Thank you!

Yeah the nearest uni to me is 40minutes train ride away and it's not known for Law. The one I'm aiming for is the university of Kent. It's a top 10 UK law school and a 2hrs commute from where I am right now TWICE a day. Which isn't do able obviously.

I will definitely contact the university and have a discussion with them as to what they think a good route for me would be.

I don't think its a waste of time at all, as I've always wanted to go to university and education is really important to me but a lot of people on here have advised me it's hard to get jobs afterwards unless you're really good so I'm feeling a little disheartened now.😕

Thank you so much!

SoxonFeet Thu 11-Apr-19 23:32:31

Check out salaries for criminal solicitors before you start, may make you realise there isn’t much point. Plus you’ll often need to do further study for duty exams and even then you’ll be only hitting 30-35K, probably less by the time you’ve finished, if legal aid cuts are anything to go by. Most criminal lawyers are looking for a way out, because it’s just relentless and has been for a while.

Please seriously consider whether 4+ years of studying is worth that salary. There’s many other professions that you could/should consider that would at least reward the effort made to qualify.

titchy Thu 11-Apr-19 23:35:05

Not sure Kent is top of many recruiters lists sorry. It's OK, reasonable reputation, good at getting itself up the league tables (!), but Law is one of those areas where TCs generally go to RG grads, although some do university-blind applications now.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 11-Apr-19 23:35:20

Don't forget about LPC and training contract after Uni if you go the solicitor route.

Do a reasearch into what it all entails. Really proper one.

How did your Acces go? Did you get all distinctions needed for the course you want?
I agree with others about that starting with OU might not be the best way. Some universities even don't accept transfers into 2nd year at all.

Mosaic123 Thu 11-Apr-19 23:36:29

Try looking for jobs that allow you to study professional accountancy exams. Accountants are in demand and they pay you while you train, time off for exams often too. Look for ACA or ACCA trainee jobs.

Holidayshopping Thu 11-Apr-19 23:37:08

I don't think its a waste of time at all, as I've always wanted to go to university and education is really important to me but a lot of people on here have advised me it's hard to get jobs afterwards unless you're really good so I'm feeling a little disheartened now.😕

People aren’t trying to depress you, they are just are making you aware that law is one of the hardest (and longest spent studying) careers to get into. I work with two teachers whose sons are trying to get pupillage at the moment-it’s depressing, both have applied year after year only to be turned down. You can only apply at a certain time each year (is that right, folks in the know?) and it seems to be a lot to do with who you know! These are extremely bright lads with straights As at A level, firsts at RG Universities, lots of WA. I think people are saying, it’s really not easy and you just need to be really aware and prepared for that.

theotherblonde Thu 11-Apr-19 23:39:06

@ncforadvicenow

You are most welcome dear, it is very challenging trying to decide what course and university to attend, I understand.

I would advice that you attend an open day, speak to the lecturers running the course, students currently on the course if possible, learn about the feedback which is provided for assignments, how you are assessed, what facilities and support services are available if you should need them, when exams are (before or after Christmas, this is a big thing, after xmas means studying during your xmas break).

If the University of Kent is your preference then spend that extra year saving up for the move, try to get some work experience in before-hand.I would suggest contacting some mid level law firms through Linkedin and trying it that way.

I understand that you are feeling low based on the advice. This advice may be correct but if someone had told me it may be hard to get onto a PhD and get funding and I get me down then I would not be where I am today. You will get a job, a good one, you just need to make yourself academically and industry attractive. For example, aim for a 1st class degree, get involved in clubs and societies such as the law society in your university, gain internships during the summer and do a study abroad for a semester. These are all things that will make you employable. You will most likely find that these will be advertised through your university. You may need to be open to moving again for another masters or more training or that dream job once you get it. My friend is qualified is a very technical art field but she cant get a job as she is unwilling to relocate but if she moved to London or other places in England then she would have way more opportunities.

At the very least, worst case scenario, say you do your law degree, get a 1st class and then still there are no jobs (I doubt this but lets just say it) then you can apply your skills to another field that is very or different. You can do a masters in business, economics, phycology, finance etc and still get a great high paid job. You can even do a PhD like me and become a law lecturer.
The other thing is that you should not look at university as a vessel to get to a destination and be worried about what that destination will be, you should see university and what you will learn there as part of the journey and that whatever comes will be great because you worked hard and will succeed.

Lastly do not be put off by your age and the prospect of saving up for a year. I went to college when I was 25 years old after years of working in retail shops. I started my 3rd year uni at 27, masters at 29 and Phd at 30. I am now 31 and well its going to take me another couple of years to finish. Age doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother you, I feel younger and healthier now than I have ever felt and as much as I have been studying since 2012 I don't feel that much older than I did then.

If you need any further advice please do not hesitate to message me. xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »