Talk

Advanced search

That it's her responsibility to tell me when she needs replacing?

(42 Posts)
managedmis Thu 11-Apr-19 20:34:09

When a colleague at work is off, I cover her.

We have a shared calendar, in which we put our absences and holidays.

Whose responsibility is it to determine if I cover her I. E Do I need to check the calendar daily tos we if she happens to be off, or should she just tell me verbally?

Tucobenedicto Thu 11-Apr-19 20:35:09

Wtf

Merryoldgoat Thu 11-Apr-19 20:35:21

Is it your job to cover her, or is it a courtesy?

What does she do when she covers you?

SickOfThePig Thu 11-Apr-19 20:35:45

You need a manager.

Amongstthetallgrass Thu 11-Apr-19 20:35:56

She should inform you if it’s very short notice so your prepared

Order654 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:36:31

Just check the calendar ?

Order654 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:36:51

How far in advance can you see

VampireSlayer19 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:37:20

In my department there is only two of us so we just discuss any holiday and only take if other is ok.

So out of respect and curtesy should be talking to each other.

Bluntness100 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:37:52

Why can't you just check the calendar? It's shared.

managedmis Thu 11-Apr-19 20:38:49

Is it your job to cover her, or is it a courtesy?

^^

My job.

What does she do when she covers you?

^^

She doesn't cover me. Other members of our team do, but not her.

Sparklesocks Thu 11-Apr-19 20:41:24

Do you have your own calendar or just the shared one?
I have a colleague I cover for and vice versa, we send each other diary invite banners for the dates we are out so we both know when each other need cover.

DaftQuery Thu 11-Apr-19 20:45:37

If it's your job, I suppose you should check. But I'd expect there to be a definite time frame when absences should be entered. e.g. The Monday of the preceding week and anything shorter notice you should be alerted to. It sounds as if you aren't getting any or much notice which is not on if it means you have to change your working hours.

Merryoldgoat Thu 11-Apr-19 20:49:30

If it’s your job then check the calendar.

I’m guessing that you think she should tell you though.

managedmis Thu 11-Apr-19 20:50:47

Do you have your own calendar or just the shared one?

^^

Both.

managedmis Thu 11-Apr-19 20:51:16

Yes, merry, I think she should tell me.

managedmis Thu 11-Apr-19 20:51:53

Calender is for the next six months.

WeeDangerousSpike Thu 11-Apr-19 20:52:05

Set the calendar so you see the shared one and yours all the time. Then you see it every day.

BessieBumptiousness Thu 11-Apr-19 20:59:00

Does no-one use their initiative anymore???

EssentialHummus Thu 11-Apr-19 21:00:03

What vampire said. It's all good and well to have policies but you need to communicate directly. How is your relationship generally?

Bankofenglandfiver Thu 11-Apr-19 21:02:35

Just look at the calendar. It’s your job to cover her, therefore it’s your job to check. It’d take seconds.

TheBigFatMermaid Thu 11-Apr-19 21:02:49

Don't you notice when she doesn't turn up?

Petalflowers Thu 11-Apr-19 21:07:20

I think she should tell you verbally when she plans to take time off, and then put details on the calendar. It’s then your job to glance at it, from time to time, to check when she is off.

Andylion Thu 11-Apr-19 21:11:06

I think she should tell you verbally when she plans to take time off, and then put details on the calendar.

I agree with this. What happens if you have already booked a day off that she wants off?

onlyk Thu 11-Apr-19 21:14:34

If you’re expected to cover any period of time I would expect a handover to be arrange covering anything that needs to be done and anything that could pop up.

For a one day absence it could be a 5min catch-up the day before but for a week it could be an hour meeting a few days before (this depends on work involved)

The responsibility should be with the person taking the time off.

Unplanned absences do happen and I think you only do what can.

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 11-Apr-19 21:21:04

If you are in work anyway and you are just covering her duties while you are there in a way that doesn't require you to do anything different outside fo that day then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect you to check every morning when you get in. A bit annoying not to get the heads up, but ultimately not really an issue

If it alters your working day or requires any prep at all (even if it's just wearing different clothes or you giving a heads up to others that you won't be able to do your regular work because you're providing cover) then there needs to be a time frame (which you always check for as part of your job) that is stuck to religiously and allows for your own holidays/sickness/etc. or she needs to proactively tell you.

I think it can feel like you are being taken for granted when people just put something passively on a calendar instead of asking you and making it sound like a request, but really you're just doing your job reliably.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »