Talk

Advanced search

Would you ask for a partial refund?

(123 Posts)
savageswimmer Thu 11-Apr-19 19:24:07

I purchased a 6k car in cash from a small garage a few days ago and it had a boot tray to reveal more space underneath that I didn't realise lifted up until today. Anyway I have lifted it up and i have found rubbish underneath such as tobacco packets and rizzla paper, personal documentation such as bank statements belonging to the previous owner and dirty needles and a used needle disposal box🤢 I honestly feel sick that I have had my small child in this car and I just immediately shut the boot and haven't touched it since, i am going to talk to the garage owner tomorrow but what would be reasonable to request? A professional clean? A partial refund? Tbh I feel like just telling him to take the car back altogether.

ScreamingValenta Thu 11-Apr-19 19:25:43

A professional clean would make most sense.

Darkbaptism Thu 11-Apr-19 19:26:50

I think it’s very reasonable to ask for it to be professionally cleaned.

nauseous5000 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:27:30

A professional clean!

SnowWhitesRestingBitchFace Thu 11-Apr-19 19:27:48

I would be tempted to send the car back altogether. I feel sick just reading that!

savageswimmer Thu 11-Apr-19 19:29:24

Would you also leave a bad review?

Farmerswifey12 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:29:50

A professional clean definately

Farmerswifey12 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:30:35

I would give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a genuine oversight and see how they deal with it before leaving a bad review!

ShinyMe Thu 11-Apr-19 19:31:17

If someone has multiple needles and a proper disposal box, aren't they likely to have been diabetic, or to have some kind of medical condition? I'm not sure why you'd feel sick about that, but then I'm not very squeamish.

I'd ask for it to be cleaned. I think asking for a refund would be really cheeky.

savageswimmer Thu 11-Apr-19 19:44:31

But it's still hazardous waste shiny. How do I know that they aren't a hepatitis or hiv carrier for example?

MrsChollySawcutt Thu 11-Apr-19 19:47:56

Were the used needles in the disposal box? If so they were not a hazard to you at all.

Think you being rather precious. It's a used car so caveat emptor. If it is a good runner I don't really see grounds for complaint.

Clean the space up and carry on as you were.

savageswimmer Thu 11-Apr-19 19:49:38

No they weren't all in the box.

SmileEachDay Thu 11-Apr-19 19:50:18

Presumably your small child wasn’t in the boot space - they aren’t in any danger from needles whilst in a car seat several feet away!

Get the garage to clean it for you.

savageswimmer Thu 11-Apr-19 19:50:46

If it was a private sale I would accept it more but am I really being u reasonable to expect more from a business?

WhatNow40 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:51:17

I'd ask for a professional clean and for the boot interior to be shampoo'd as it has had hazardous waste stored in it.

JK2012 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:53:21

Definitely go back to the garage. Make them pay for a full professional clean at least. If they were a decent garage surely they would of spotted this before selling though? 😩

I would be appalled. I would wait and see how they respond before leaving a bad review though. If they don’t do much about it leave a bad review.

Terrible though 😭 I would be beyond mad. Well within your rights to complain.

NWQM Thu 11-Apr-19 20:00:18

Another vote for professional clean although they may say you had the chance to inspect it prior to sale & therefore refuse.

User457990033gYpovd7 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:02:58

I would show the boot to the seller and request that it be cleaned. If it is dealt with to your satisfaction and you leave a review about it, do make sure others know your complaint was dealt with properly. It was clearly just an oversight.

You would BVVU and not have a cat in hell's chance of returning the car and getting a refund. That is a ridiculous expectation. How much would you expect for a partial refund?

hazell42 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:03:13

A bin bag? Cant you just empty it into the bin? If they had a sharp box, they were probably a HCP
No need for the vapours.
Or drive round to the address on the bank statements and ask them to take their stuff back.
If you didnt realise the shelf came up, presumably the garage didnt either

AdobeWanKenobi Thu 11-Apr-19 20:10:14

Ask for a valet and move on.

malmi Thu 11-Apr-19 20:22:59

No need for outrage, nothing bad has actually happened. If it had been full of £20 notes you'd not be demanding a part refund.

HJWT Thu 11-Apr-19 20:42:12

I think your being a bit soft aren't you, they usually take cars to a proper valeting business and the place wouldn't of realised it lifted up, ask for a professional clean and move on, don't ruin someone's income because the company that cleaned the car missed something, its not like you would of gone rummaging through the boot after seeing the rubbish, and more than likely the previous owner had a condition such as diabetes or used blood thinners, don't assume someone who uses needles has HIV 🙄

Bankofenglandfiver Thu 11-Apr-19 20:43:45

Presumably you weren’t carrying your small child in the boot?

Ask them to clean it and don’t make a whole drama out of it. Refund would be cheeky fucker territory.

savageswimmer Fri 12-Apr-19 11:02:57

They have refused to pay for it professionally cleaned and told me they would refund me a fiver to take it to the local car wash, as if the men at the local car wash are going to remove needles! I am disgusted to be honest and will be leaving them bad reviews all over the internet. I would be mortified if I sold someone a car and that's what the new owner found inside.

SosigDog Fri 12-Apr-19 11:06:04

You need to take them to court imo. I’d want to return the car for a refund if it was sold to me full of dirty needles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »