Talk

Advanced search

Dps driving is terrible

(37 Posts)
drivinghelp Thu 11-Apr-19 18:17:34

He’s a lovely man, but I find it so hard to be in the car with him.

Mine isn’t very practical. I do generally offer to drive but it often ends up being him.

The problem is he is so erratic. He slows right down, well below the speed limit, and then suddenly speeds right up.

In traffic jams he just sits there so a vast space appears between him and the car in front. If i suggest he goes forwards he says ‘but what’s the point?’ I’ve pointed out it creates a massive backlog of traffic, people unable to get out of junctions or turn into side streets.

He drives 60 in the fast lane blush

He doesn’t listen to directions properly. So I’ll say ‘okay, turn left at the roundabout.’ He then drives straight on and I’ll say ‘dp!’ He SLAMMED ON THE BRAKES sending me FLYING forwards! Who does that!?

It’s more a rant than anything ...

marvellousnightforamooncup Thu 11-Apr-19 18:20:27

Can't you drive when sharing the car journey or does that hurt his macho pride?

gamerchick Thu 11-Apr-19 18:20:56

Well I would refuse to get in the car with him from now on.

Seatbelts hurt.

outpinked Thu 11-Apr-19 18:21:15

I think he needs another test confused.

drivinghelp Thu 11-Apr-19 18:21:29

I’m not insured on his ... we don’t live together.

pinkyredrose Thu 11-Apr-19 18:23:17

I think he needs a refresher course.

PumpkinPie2016 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:45:00

Can you be added as a named driver in his policy and then you can drive?

I couldn't be driven by him - he sounds like he shouldn't have passed!

badlydrawnperson Thu 11-Apr-19 18:47:08

There is no such thing as "the fast lane" HTH

Timewarpdancer Thu 11-Apr-19 18:50:06

You beat me to it badly
Also there’s nothing wrong with leaving a gap in front. Better than tailgating

Thewheelsarefallingoff Thu 11-Apr-19 18:52:33

Everyone knows what OP means by 'the fast lane'
I would insist on driving everywhere, I could not put up with that!

bloodywhitecat Thu 11-Apr-19 19:10:52

How massive is the gap in traffic? I did a driving assessment for work recently and the instructor was very keen on being able to see the "tyres on tarmac" on the vehicle in front of us in the queue, he reckoned it left room to be rear ended and not end up hitting the car in front.

bloodywhitecat Thu 11-Apr-19 19:12:44

"Tyres on tarmac" applied when stationary not when moving, when moving you need a bigger gap. Obviously.

BlueCornishPixie Thu 11-Apr-19 19:21:24

The fast lane is the colloquial term for the inside lane, we know what it means there's no need to be a dick hmm

It depends how big the gap is, in traffic leaving a gap can be better as it can help the traffic flow if you are moving as you aren't having to stop start. It annoys me when everyone is too close to one another in traffic because it means everyone goes slower, and will prevent you going into the back of the car confront if someone goes into the back of you if you are stopped.

I think it does sound like he doesnt really know what he's doing though, Id probably refuse to let him drive until he'd taken a refresher course.

Jinglejanglefish Thu 11-Apr-19 19:23:41

There is no such thing as "the fast lane" HTH

Fuck sake there's always one

WingBingo Thu 11-Apr-19 19:25:20

DH isn’t a great driver. He tailgates and his lane discipline is bad.

The only time I suffer from anxiety is when he drives, so I don’t let him.

Timewarpdancer Thu 11-Apr-19 19:34:15

Unfortunately people do use the slow lane/fast lane term because they do actually believe that the speed is different in each lane so badly isn’t being a dick

dun1urkin Thu 11-Apr-19 19:39:23

The fast lane is the colloquial term for the inside lane

I think you mean outside lane.
The inside lane’s the slow one grin

Motoko Thu 11-Apr-19 19:48:04

The fast lane is the colloquial term for the inside lane
I think you mean outside lane.

This is why I also use those terms. I can never remember which is which, with "inside" and "outside", but everyone knows which lane you mean if you mention the "fast" lane.

And slower vehicles use the "slow" lane, so the traffic in that lane is generally slower than the other two lanes.

FunkyKingston Thu 11-Apr-19 20:24:29

Are you contributing to this op?

Generally I'm a competent driver but when my stxp was in thr car I'd go to pieces as they'd keep a continuous critical commentary that would set me completely on edge and would harp on aboutvtrivial non dangerous errors, say a missed turning, as if I'd shat on their Mum's christmas dinner. I eould get so panicked that on some occasions id hace to pull over as i was crying and shaking.

badlydrawnperson Thu 11-Apr-19 20:25:48

Fuck sake there's always one

Fuck sake Fuck off, to the far side of fuck and then fuck off some more.

What if there are three or four lanes? Which is the fast lane then?

Depending on the road, vehicle and conditions, 60 in whatever you're defining as the "fast lane" may be legit.

Jinglejanglefish Thu 11-Apr-19 20:33:09

Fuck sake Fuck off, to the far side of fuck and then fuck off some more

Ahh, one of those MN insults that really isn't as clever or cutting as you think it is.

The fast lane is the last overtaking lane. So you have a left lane, then the rest are for overtaking, the inner most being 'the fast one.' Why does it make any difference how many lanes there are? What bit are you finding difficult to understand?

The inside lane’s the slow one

Well that's confusing confused how does that work?

Sparklesocks Thu 11-Apr-19 20:35:42

Does he seem stressed/anxious when he’s driving OP?

Siameasy Thu 11-Apr-19 20:44:44

Bloody hell thats awful
My dad does 35 in a national because he prefers to🙈
Perhaps your DH has concentration issues

RavenLG Thu 11-Apr-19 20:47:21

What bit are you finding difficult to understand?

All of what you wrote tbh because you’re constantly referring to the inside lane as the “fast lane”. The inside lane is the leftmost lane on a multi lane highway.

Jinglejanglefish Thu 11-Apr-19 20:54:08

I didn't use the phrase 'inside lane' confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »