Talk

Advanced search

To think our neighbors have swapped them while we were out?

(129 Posts)
Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:28:31

I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or not but I’m really upset.

We have had our current NDN (terraced) for about a year and they are really scruffy. Our front gardens don’t have a boundary, and they leave their bins at the end of them full time. Can’t really do much about this, but the thing is, they don’t always put stuff in black bags. I’ve seen the sons just lift the lid when they are off out and put food wrappers etc straight into the bin. It does get annoying especially when they leave the lid up and wind blows their crap all over our garden and path. I do just generally grit my teeth and move it though because I don’t want to confront them and have a falling out.

Today was bin day so I wheeled ours out before I went to work. When I got home and went to put them back, I noticed that the black one really really stank. So I lifted the lid and there was a load of loose rubbish at the bottom, with food wrappers of things we don’t eat and a whole Tupperware container that looks still to be dirty with food. There are maggots all over everything and it’s jusy disgusting. It made me gag. But the the bin has our number sticker on! I feel like I’m going mad because it certainly wasn’t in that state this morning.

I feel like I can’t go round though because they will just deny it and I have no proof - it looks like our bin! Is it unreasonable to ask them if they’ve swapped them around?!

I don’t want to have to clean it and keep the waste for another two weeks until bin day again. They obviously didn’t accept the stuff that wasn’t in a bin bag. I can’t even get to close to it it’s so horrible.

I have NO idea what the reasonable course of action would be here! Does anyone have any advice? sad

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:58:03

I can not believe someone would suggest boiling & bleaching poor defenceless maggots? Can you not see how cruel that would be?!

headinhands Thu 11-Apr-19 18:00:09

Maggots at this time of year???

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:05:30

The stickers do look a bit curled at the edges but they’ve conveniently moved their bin right next to their front door which they NEVER do which makes me more suspicious.

It could have been a split bag if it weren’t for all the wrappers for brands and food we don’t buy and Tupperware that isn’t ours. They may have been using ours but I really didn’t think it smelt this morning and we keep ours it the way so they would have to go to more effort than using their own!

mummmy2017 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:06:12

Have you seen how quickly you can change the lids?
I wonder if it is your bin, but they chucked something in your bin straight after it was emptied....

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:06:55

I’ve poured some boiling water and bleach in to cover the stench. DH will be home soon and he says he will fish it all out with rubber gloves, bag it and shove in their bin.

Coffeeonthesofa Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:03

I doubt they would go to the bother of swapping stickers, cause if they just chuck stuff in normally then they wouldn’t care if their bin was disgusting. Probably they just chucked some of their loose rubbish in your bin at some point) probably a few days ago if there are maggots and then it ended up being left in the bottom after the bin men emptied it. My neighbours teenage son used to do this with stuff he didn’t want his parents to see, pizza boxes, beer bottles etc. Also we used to have our bins at the front and I even saw random passers by drop stuff in our bin. We now keep our bins at the back and it has solved all those problems. There are firms who offer a bin cleaning service if you can’t face it.

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:08

I can not believe someone would suggest boiling & bleaching poor defenceless maggots? Can you not see how cruel that would be?!

You're joking, right?

teraculum29 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:18

just look at neighbours bins, look for your sticker if you find where it is just swop your bin, if you cannot locate your bin, wash it with a hose or call bin cleaning person and then decorate your bin with unique stickers.

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 11-Apr-19 18:08:52

If they have swapped the stickers then it will have left a mark on the original bin, so wait until they are out and have a look, you should see an outline.

Swap it back and right "Fuck off you bin thieving fuckers at number 36" under the lid. It will make the bin men laugh and the bin thieves can never admit to having seen it grin

cobblett36 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:09:38

This stuff really annoys me! Our new NDN swapped our brand new cardboard bag with theirs, DH keeps saying hes not sure they did but they painted their fence brown.. and guess what's all over the ratty thing we have now?! Brown paint. Waiting for recycling day and nabbing mine back. Just cheeky in my opinion

EggysMom Thu 11-Apr-19 18:12:46

Probably they just chucked some of their loose rubbish in your bin at some point) probably a few days ago if there are maggots and then it ended up being left in the bottom after the bin men emptied it

Most likely, on last bin day. The OP never noticed and put their first black bag on top of the loose rubbish. It might not have smelt noticeably then, but does smell 2-3 weeks later.

In addition to the stickers on our bins, we also have the house number painted small & discreetly on the back - just in case this happens to us. We thought it had, our numbered paper bin disappeared for 4 weeks but then reappeared again.

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:14:41

@Pyongyang Well, it's basically a bloodsport.

Surely it would be better to remove each one and give it it's own little home to live in? Do you agree @LostinShoebiz?

TooBusyHavingFun Thu 11-Apr-19 18:19:13

swap them when it's dark tonight and tippex your door number inside the lid

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 11-Apr-19 18:19:29

grin

SapphireSeptember Thu 11-Apr-19 18:22:04

I'd wait till it gets dark and go and swap them back. Then do what others have suggested and write something on it.

BrightYellowDaffodil Thu 11-Apr-19 18:23:22

You can get bin cleaners - half the people on my road seem to have their bins jet washed on a fortnightly basis. (It’s bloody annoying as the cleaning man drags all the bins up the street and back down again, plus the compressor is deafening).

It could have been someone else who used your bin but either way, I’d get the bin cleaned then spray paint it.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:24:27

You could have emptied the maggots on the grass, it would make a nice meal for the local birds.

DistanceCall Thu 11-Apr-19 18:29:18

Please be joking. PLEASE be joking.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 11-Apr-19 18:31:03

Urgh! Grim.

Wait until dark and then steal your bin back. Get DH to help you so you can lift it rather than wheel it so you don’t make noise. Then put yours in your garden/yard and lock the gate.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 11-Apr-19 18:31:56

Also when you get it back, spray paint your house number on so they can’t take it off.

Sparklesocks Thu 11-Apr-19 18:33:16

I wonder if rather than swapping the sticker (which is fiddly and hard to restick) they’ve chucked their rubbish in there, maybe the bottom of their bin had that gross rubbish in so they tipped it into yours.

ShowMeTheKittens Thu 11-Apr-19 18:33:58

Bleach will cure all kinds of feelth.

PineapplePatty Thu 11-Apr-19 18:38:01

It's impossible to get those stickers off. They probably just put a bag in yours.

The bin men wouldn't refuse it because it wasn't in a bin either.

Just bleach it.

Fatted Thu 11-Apr-19 18:39:56

Where we live people put their rubbish in our bin all the time. Because we never fill ours and they have a million black bags of shit. But no recycling.

I'd guess it was something like this. Or the bin men have put their bags they refused to take in your bin.

Smelborp Thu 11-Apr-19 18:42:29

I would also want a close look at ‘their’ bin for sticker outlines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »