Talk

Advanced search

To think our neighbors have swapped them while we were out?

(129 Posts)
Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:28:31

I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or not but I’m really upset.

We have had our current NDN (terraced) for about a year and they are really scruffy. Our front gardens don’t have a boundary, and they leave their bins at the end of them full time. Can’t really do much about this, but the thing is, they don’t always put stuff in black bags. I’ve seen the sons just lift the lid when they are off out and put food wrappers etc straight into the bin. It does get annoying especially when they leave the lid up and wind blows their crap all over our garden and path. I do just generally grit my teeth and move it though because I don’t want to confront them and have a falling out.

Today was bin day so I wheeled ours out before I went to work. When I got home and went to put them back, I noticed that the black one really really stank. So I lifted the lid and there was a load of loose rubbish at the bottom, with food wrappers of things we don’t eat and a whole Tupperware container that looks still to be dirty with food. There are maggots all over everything and it’s jusy disgusting. It made me gag. But the the bin has our number sticker on! I feel like I’m going mad because it certainly wasn’t in that state this morning.

I feel like I can’t go round though because they will just deny it and I have no proof - it looks like our bin! Is it unreasonable to ask them if they’ve swapped them around?!

I don’t want to have to clean it and keep the waste for another two weeks until bin day again. They obviously didn’t accept the stuff that wasn’t in a bin bag. I can’t even get to close to it it’s so horrible.

I have NO idea what the reasonable course of action would be here! Does anyone have any advice? sad

OhioOhioOhio Thu 11-Apr-19 17:29:50

You just have to clean it. And buy more stickers to decorate your bin. I'd be annoyed too.

Bankofenglandfiver Thu 11-Apr-19 17:30:19

It’s a shame but I think you’ll have to just clean the bin - you’ll never be able to prove it.

And get a bin lock so they can’t swap them again (because yours will be locked).

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 11-Apr-19 17:33:32

Use the most powerful setting on a hose to blast the gross stuck on stuff off. Be the bigger person and just rise above!

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:33:42

The thought of putting my hands in there is physically making me wretch

BlessedFox Thu 11-Apr-19 17:34:05

Oh dear OP, seems like your neighbours have swapped them. sad

Unfortunately there’s no proof so you can’t do much about it other than put raw prawns in what used to be your bin wink

Mustbetimeforachange Thu 11-Apr-19 17:34:33

It's possible the bin men swapped them, ours have done that. Just wash it out & put stickers with your house number on.

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:36:56

@Mustbetimeforachange

Ours does have a sticker on

I just think they’ve taken it off ours and put it in theirs and swapped them

If it just smelt bad I’d probably accept it. But it’s the food wrappers for things we literally do not buy and Tupperware that doesn’t belong to us.

I take the rubbish out and I always black bin bag things, tied up so I know I couldn’t have got it in that state. It’s teuly vile.

SosigDog Thu 11-Apr-19 17:37:13

Why not just swap them back?

Fannybaws52 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:38:04

Swap them back! This time paint your number on inner lid though.

QuestionableMouse Thu 11-Apr-19 17:39:35

I think it's more likely they've been using both bins.

Put a big glug of bleach in then a couple kettles of boiling water. Leave it overnight and it should kill the maggots and get rid of some of the smell!

TixieLix Thu 11-Apr-19 17:41:14

So are we to assume they haven't left 'their' bins at the end of their front garden then so you can swap it back? Do the stickers seem as though they've been removed from one bin and put on the other?

If you can't swap back then you may have to rise above and clean it out. Dump a load of bleach in first to deal with the maggots, rubber gloves on and use a hose to spray what you can out. Once it's done, as well as stickers, mark the bin more permanently - maybe scratch something on the lid so that there can be no denying it's yours.

Lovenhugsfo Thu 11-Apr-19 17:43:38

YANBU. If you don’t want to go around and ask them about it. I’d wait until it was very early morning or late night and swap them around again and mark your bin in a way that they won’t know you’ve marked it, like write in permanent marker under the lid or something.

Hahaha88 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:44:18

I would have thought the stickers wouldn't have pulled off and restuck on a different bin? 🤔

LostInShoebiz Thu 11-Apr-19 17:47:15

You’ll get someone along in a minute to lecture you on the wrongs of killing poor defenceless maggots inhumanely.

eddielizzard Thu 11-Apr-19 17:50:14

Surely you can tell whether the sticker has been tampered with? If it has, I'd swap it back and paint all over it.

mumwon Thu 11-Apr-19 17:51:45

Go round neighbours house - smile - silly rubbish bin men have got our bins mixed could I have our bin back & heres yours! smile again

KaterinaPetrova Thu 11-Apr-19 17:54:21

Wouldn't it be obvious that the stickers have been moved? Are you positive that your own bag on the bottom hasn't split and mucked up your bin?

Just chuck a bucket of really hot soapy water in, roll the bin back and forth a bit to swish it up and tip it out at a road drain if there's one nearby (I know there's rules about what you can let go down public drains but needs must in this instance)

EarlyWarning Thu 11-Apr-19 17:55:41

You need a bin fairy to deal with this. Do you have a DP with a strong stomach,OP?

Bringbackthestripes Thu 11-Apr-19 17:55:49

Three choices.

Knock and ask but if they say no then what? It could also be the start of neighbour wars because the type of people to swap you number to Knick your bin are not exactly play fair are they?

Get a little pot of paint, swap your bin back under the cover of darkness, swap your sticker back then PAINT your number so they can’t swap it again.

Or throw a load of bleach in it along with a bucket of water. Leave overnight then tip it out and accept your neighbours are awful. If you have the nerve knock and offer them their Tupperware back so they know YOU know.

pourmeanotherglass Thu 11-Apr-19 17:55:53

Swap them back, then paint the number on yours white white wall paint.

ILoveAllRainbowsx Thu 11-Apr-19 17:56:41

Get it cleaned by a wheelie bin cleaner and then paint your number on it.

Flaverings Thu 11-Apr-19 17:57:25

It sounds as though the binmen behaviour is very different around yours to how they are around here.

NuclearReactor Thu 11-Apr-19 17:57:29

If the sticker has been swapped there might be a faded outline of your sticker on your suspected actual bin. Try have a look and take a picture if possible!

That's really weird if they have went to that effort of changing bins!

MammaMia19 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:57:33

I agree with pp that it's more likely they've been using your bin as well as theirs!

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:58:03

I can not believe someone would suggest boiling & bleaching poor defenceless maggots? Can you not see how cruel that would be?!

headinhands Thu 11-Apr-19 18:00:09

Maggots at this time of year???

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:05:30

The stickers do look a bit curled at the edges but they’ve conveniently moved their bin right next to their front door which they NEVER do which makes me more suspicious.

It could have been a split bag if it weren’t for all the wrappers for brands and food we don’t buy and Tupperware that isn’t ours. They may have been using ours but I really didn’t think it smelt this morning and we keep ours it the way so they would have to go to more effort than using their own!

mummmy2017 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:06:12

Have you seen how quickly you can change the lids?
I wonder if it is your bin, but they chucked something in your bin straight after it was emptied....

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:06:55

I’ve poured some boiling water and bleach in to cover the stench. DH will be home soon and he says he will fish it all out with rubber gloves, bag it and shove in their bin.

Coffeeonthesofa Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:03

I doubt they would go to the bother of swapping stickers, cause if they just chuck stuff in normally then they wouldn’t care if their bin was disgusting. Probably they just chucked some of their loose rubbish in your bin at some point) probably a few days ago if there are maggots and then it ended up being left in the bottom after the bin men emptied it. My neighbours teenage son used to do this with stuff he didn’t want his parents to see, pizza boxes, beer bottles etc. Also we used to have our bins at the front and I even saw random passers by drop stuff in our bin. We now keep our bins at the back and it has solved all those problems. There are firms who offer a bin cleaning service if you can’t face it.

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:08

I can not believe someone would suggest boiling & bleaching poor defenceless maggots? Can you not see how cruel that would be?!

You're joking, right?

teraculum29 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:18

just look at neighbours bins, look for your sticker if you find where it is just swop your bin, if you cannot locate your bin, wash it with a hose or call bin cleaning person and then decorate your bin with unique stickers.

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 11-Apr-19 18:08:52

If they have swapped the stickers then it will have left a mark on the original bin, so wait until they are out and have a look, you should see an outline.

Swap it back and right "Fuck off you bin thieving fuckers at number 36" under the lid. It will make the bin men laugh and the bin thieves can never admit to having seen it grin

cobblett36 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:09:38

This stuff really annoys me! Our new NDN swapped our brand new cardboard bag with theirs, DH keeps saying hes not sure they did but they painted their fence brown.. and guess what's all over the ratty thing we have now?! Brown paint. Waiting for recycling day and nabbing mine back. Just cheeky in my opinion

EggysMom Thu 11-Apr-19 18:12:46

Probably they just chucked some of their loose rubbish in your bin at some point) probably a few days ago if there are maggots and then it ended up being left in the bottom after the bin men emptied it

Most likely, on last bin day. The OP never noticed and put their first black bag on top of the loose rubbish. It might not have smelt noticeably then, but does smell 2-3 weeks later.

In addition to the stickers on our bins, we also have the house number painted small & discreetly on the back - just in case this happens to us. We thought it had, our numbered paper bin disappeared for 4 weeks but then reappeared again.

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:14:41

@Pyongyang Well, it's basically a bloodsport.

Surely it would be better to remove each one and give it it's own little home to live in? Do you agree @LostinShoebiz?

TooBusyHavingFun Thu 11-Apr-19 18:19:13

swap them when it's dark tonight and tippex your door number inside the lid

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 11-Apr-19 18:19:29

grin

SapphireSeptember Thu 11-Apr-19 18:22:04

I'd wait till it gets dark and go and swap them back. Then do what others have suggested and write something on it.

BrightYellowDaffodil Thu 11-Apr-19 18:23:22

You can get bin cleaners - half the people on my road seem to have their bins jet washed on a fortnightly basis. (It’s bloody annoying as the cleaning man drags all the bins up the street and back down again, plus the compressor is deafening).

It could have been someone else who used your bin but either way, I’d get the bin cleaned then spray paint it.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:24:27

You could have emptied the maggots on the grass, it would make a nice meal for the local birds.

DistanceCall Thu 11-Apr-19 18:29:18

Please be joking. PLEASE be joking.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 11-Apr-19 18:31:03

Urgh! Grim.

Wait until dark and then steal your bin back. Get DH to help you so you can lift it rather than wheel it so you don’t make noise. Then put yours in your garden/yard and lock the gate.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 11-Apr-19 18:31:56

Also when you get it back, spray paint your house number on so they can’t take it off.

Sparklesocks Thu 11-Apr-19 18:33:16

I wonder if rather than swapping the sticker (which is fiddly and hard to restick) they’ve chucked their rubbish in there, maybe the bottom of their bin had that gross rubbish in so they tipped it into yours.

ShowMeTheKittens Thu 11-Apr-19 18:33:58

Bleach will cure all kinds of feelth.

PineapplePatty Thu 11-Apr-19 18:38:01

It's impossible to get those stickers off. They probably just put a bag in yours.

The bin men wouldn't refuse it because it wasn't in a bin either.

Just bleach it.

Fatted Thu 11-Apr-19 18:39:56

Where we live people put their rubbish in our bin all the time. Because we never fill ours and they have a million black bags of shit. But no recycling.

I'd guess it was something like this. Or the bin men have put their bags they refused to take in your bin.

Smelborp Thu 11-Apr-19 18:42:29

I would also want a close look at ‘their’ bin for sticker outlines.

DGRossetti Thu 11-Apr-19 18:50:09

Our bins have RFID tags in. A council employee came around once reading them.

Nofunkingworriesmate Thu 11-Apr-19 18:50:43

There are companies that clean wheels bins
Always thought it was an odd business idea but just what you need
I would also kill the neighbours with kindness bunch of daffodils and Easter eggs for the kids have a nice chat in the door step eye contact ect and a lovely card, yes it would stick in my thoat aswell but you want to nip any petty neighbour nonsense on the head as these things can get very miserably out of hand very quickly

cabingirl Thu 11-Apr-19 18:52:22

As you can't prove it was them accusing will only escalate the issue.

But now you can at least aim to stop it happening again.

- bleach the bin
- paint your number on the bin, on the lid and inside the lid.
- get a bin lock to stop anyone using your bin midweek

outpinked Thu 11-Apr-19 18:52:41

I’d check their bin out and see if it’s actually yours, if it is then swap them back. Also paint your number all over it or buy more stickers that would be difficult and tedious to remove. A person on my street had adorned theirs with lots of tiny stickers of bumblebees grin.

Topttumps Thu 11-Apr-19 18:53:35

Definitely paint number on.

Iamtheworst Thu 11-Apr-19 18:54:34

Clumping cat litter.

That’s the answer for gross bins. So still have to sweep it out but it doesn’t smell as bad and should all come out.

Doesn’t stop it getting stolen but it makes cleaning it more bareable.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 11-Apr-19 18:54:41

I’m amazed you couldn’t instantly tell the difference between your own bin and their bin if theirs is so grim and yours isn’t.

Collaborate Thu 11-Apr-19 19:16:04

Scratch your house number on the bin so they can't do this in the future.

StoneofDestiny Thu 11-Apr-19 19:27:18

Surely the imprint of your sticker would be visible on the 'stolen bin'?

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:33:50

My DH fished all the disgusting crap out and put it in a black bin bag and slung it (open) in their bin. It more horrible than it looked, there were filthy baby wipes, rotten food, soggy/grimy food packaging etc. None of it belonged to us. He gave it a good wash and now it’s locked in the garage.

He hates how messy they are with their bins even more than I do and this was the final straw for him I think. He wants us to go round and ask them to be a bit tidier/not use our bins. I’m not sure it’s wise as we can’t prove anything or make them keep them tidy.

We shall have to see what happens in two weeks time when the bins come out again angry

AnnieMay100 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:37:54

I’d be taking their bin in the night and comparing - could be that they ripped off your sticker and replaced it on their bin just so they didn’t have to clean their own crap out! Get a permanent marker for inside the lid

Mousetolioness Thu 11-Apr-19 19:42:18

When you say the gardens have no boundary... surely they do, don't they? Do you mean there's no fence or hedge? Is there anything stopping you installing a boundary?

Stigofthedump90 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:52:19

No nothing stopping us, we’ve just discussed it and are going to put a hedge up or something. Preferabley something spikey.

StoneofDestiny Thu 11-Apr-19 20:47:38

Since you've now cleaned it out I'd say nothing, just take avoidance measures (and drop occasional rotting fish into theirs 😈 😈)

headinhands Thu 11-Apr-19 21:17:12

*ask them to be a bit tidier

Let us know how that goes 😂

OhioOhioOhio Fri 12-Apr-19 00:06:03

For next time I've used an old mop after the kettle and bleach trick.. And if you Google wheelie clean, or something like that, they come and do a one off job.

floribunda18 Fri 12-Apr-19 00:08:28

Use white paint to paint your house number on your bin.

OopsOhNoZHM Fri 12-Apr-19 00:17:52

Oh that’s rotten. I would remove the junk and casually dump it in their bin, then just crack on and clean it out. Bleach will be your friend. Paint your house number on the side, but also on the base of the bin, nobody thinks to look there and it’s more protected from the elements so won’t fade or be covered.

vintanner Fri 12-Apr-19 00:30:32

Report it to the council and see if they will replace it.
If they won't, there are companies who will come and clean it, but of course, you will have to pay.

StressedMumOfTwo29 Fri 12-Apr-19 00:39:04

I had this problem when I first moved into my place but it was cat poop.... I knew who it was as there is only 1 person in the block that has a cat so I switched it back and they came out. asked what I was doing and I just said taking my bin back as this bin is yours as it has cat poop in it they tried to say it wasn't these so I swapped anyway then paint my bins like mad haven't had a problem since. I should have just cleaned but I didn't want them to think they could just do this all the time. id swap it back but if its going to start drama just clean it.
hope you get it sorted out.

dollydee Fri 12-Apr-19 17:49:06

...and get your clean bin stickered / numbered before the next bin day or your neighbours may swap it again and you'll end up cleaning another bin.

SweetMarmalade Fri 12-Apr-19 17:52:08

My NDN had my bin for 2 weeks. There’s had a huge split in the lid so I knew it was theirs.

Tbf the bin men often leave our bins in random locations, so they quite possibly didn’t realise initially.

Next bin day I was out early and retrieved my beautiful bin. I bought number stickers and there’ll be no mix ups from now on.

Annoyed me so much it formed the basis of a new Netflix account password grin

Kaddm Fri 12-Apr-19 17:54:59

Get better stickers
Mine are on a transfer such that you just stick it once but when you peel off the backing, each sticker is individual per letter. So you couldn’t just re stick it’d take all day!

Also use paint to paint your number on the freshly cleaned bin.

Your neighbours sound like cheeky wankers

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Fri 12-Apr-19 17:56:13

You’ll get someone along in a minute to lecture you on the wrongs of killing poor defenceless maggots inhumanely.

Or, as I believe they're known in the trade, 'disco rice' (thanks, Susie Dent!)

Definitely white gloss paint - on the side, front, lid and also - as a security measure - on the underside of the bin.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Fri 12-Apr-19 18:06:06

You could always try mocking up a big official-looking note and slapping it on the front of the bin, saying:

"XXXX local council responsible waste scheme. As a thank you for helping us to reduce your household waste, your bin has been randomly selected for this month's £50 LetsWasteLess prize. Please take this sticker to the council offices to claim your award."

Not only will they be clamouring to swap the bins back and insist that yours is actually theirs when you loudly and theatrically 'discover' it, just imagine the fun when they turn up at the council demanding their non-existent prize grin

ThePlaceToVent Fri 12-Apr-19 18:08:23

Fuck cleaning it - wait for them to go out and swap it back!!

peachdribble Fri 12-Apr-19 18:08:48

‘Disco rice’!😂🤮

Plunger Fri 12-Apr-19 18:09:09

Paint on your house name/number using left overs from decorating. On the side and lid! We did this when we got left a neighbour's bin that the binmen had refused to empty.

PigletJohn Fri 12-Apr-19 18:11:01

if you have a hosepipe, lie the bin on its side, open end overhanging the gutter, and hose it out. The grime will mostly be washed away and run down the drain. Leave the bin open in the sun to dry out.

Solid material you can put in a bag.

If you hose out maggots in the early morning and there is not much traffic, birds will be pleased to gobble them up.

No need for bleach or chemicals, except that, after you have hosed out the bin, if it is still greasy, you can throw a bucket of hot water and detergent in it, and slosh it around with a broom, then tip it into the gutter. No need to lean into it.

You can paint your number with an oil-based gloss paint, which sticks well to plastic. Put it on each side, and the lid, and the inside of the lid, big as you like. You can also paint flowers or stickmen on the bin as ornaments if you want.

csigeek Fri 12-Apr-19 18:11:18

Our old neighbours did something similar albeit far more blatant! We had a normal size black wheelie bin (general waste) and they had a small version. One week our bin went missing but their small one stayed out on the path for a few days. I couldn't find ours anywhere so reported to the council and they sent a new one. Also took the small bin that was left stranded on the path.
Next black bin day (every other week) lol and behold our bin, complete with our number sticker, appeared outside their house!! They'd nicked it!
I ended up with a nice new bin and spray painted our number on every single side and lid!!

You can ask the council for a new one for a fee and they'll come and swap, if you call them and explain they may even waive the fee.

fashiondevotee Fri 12-Apr-19 18:12:03

Ugh, people like this are the worst. You have my sympathies, OP.

SuchAToDo Fri 12-Apr-19 18:12:13

Is it the bin that has your number on?...it is one of those reusable peel off/ cling on stickers because if so they could have lifted it off your bin and put it on their grotty bin...

BertieHogarth Fri 12-Apr-19 18:17:06

Don’t put a sticker on it. Paint your house number on it. I’ve had to do this as our neighbour kept taking our recycling bin. They have 4 recycling bins now but, as I can’t prove they took ours, I made sure ours was clearly marked in a way that couldn’t be mistaken or changed.

Bemusedagain Fri 12-Apr-19 18:19:33

Don’t use a sticker. White paint your number on next time

flitwit99 Fri 12-Apr-19 18:20:27

It's definitely their rubbish but I bet it's not their bin. If they are that lazy with rubbish they are not going to have gone to the bother of peeling the number off yours. They obviously don't care. I bet they threw some rubbish in yours just after they were last emptied, either on purpose or by mistake/laziness and you just didn't notice. You probably only noticed the smell once all your bagged rubbish was emptied out

PutyourtoponTrevor Fri 12-Apr-19 18:25:21

On a side note I've never put stuff in a bag before it goes in the bin, it just gets put in the bin. I don't have a bin in the kitchen and our wheelie bins are just outside the back door

mumsiedarlingrevolta Fri 12-Apr-19 18:26:55

OP do you have a bin cleaning service? I get mine cleaned for £2.50 a month-do a fantastic job and smells nice.
I started after a hideous, gag inducing maggot infestation one hot summer. We also had flies and you walk by our bins to our front door.
They disinfect and really clean. Very worth it for me!!

Joebloggswazere Fri 12-Apr-19 18:37:56

Stickers can be peeled off, paint it!

Sara107 Fri 12-Apr-19 18:38:48

Personally I would take the spineless approach and say nothing. Sort it out and get one of those all over stickers of flowers or leaves, no way that could be taken off and moved. Maybe also paint your number on the inside of the lid, much harder to get off than a sticker!

EllenMP Fri 12-Apr-19 18:39:59

Ew. Swap them back when they are out.

Miniloso Fri 12-Apr-19 18:55:02

Swap them back!

Mosaic123 Fri 12-Apr-19 19:34:19

Use light coloured nail varnishes to paint some flowers , numbers and whatever you want. Too difficult to reproduce by your neighbour.

bubblegumunicorn Fri 12-Apr-19 20:44:32

Call your council with the serial number they will tell you which property the bin is registered to then you can confront them with that evidence!

flitwit99 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:16:56

Have you checked in the other bin to see if it is really clean? If it is their original bin it will be filthy.

emmakc1977 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:46:09

I had similar a few months ago. We moved into a new house and the previous owner too bins so Council gave me a new recycle bin. I bought lovely stickers for my bin with door no on. Put them out and we had really bad wind all day, when I got back in evening my sticker had been peeled off and put on a grubby bin with no lid! Clearly it had been blown around in the wind and some cheeky fucker peeled sticker off my bin and put on the broken one. I had to call council and wait two weeks for a new bin. I was irrationally pissed so bought paint and have painted door no on them now!!

MummasTheWord Fri 12-Apr-19 21:47:14

When he put stuff back in their bin did he noticed if it looked clean of rubbish at the bottom? Definitely paint number on it - can use spray paint.

mylifestory Fri 12-Apr-19 21:51:29

Go and look in their bin and see I it looks more like yours!

SinkGirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:00:14

OP do you have a bin cleaning service? I get mine cleaned for £2.50 a month-do a fantastic job and smells nice.

Someone cleans wheelie bins for £2.50? That’s awful.

Angie169 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:16:05

I have had my bins nicked on many occasions, so I spent a small fortune on gold spray paint and painted all ( 4 ) of my bins all over except the lids . ( so I could tell what colour/ recyclable stuff they were ) not only does no one nick them now , I can spot them a mile off when the bin men haven't left them outside my house , and I have got the most expensive looking bins on the estate £££££££ grin

Angie169 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:17:06

SinkGirl why is that awful ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »