Talk

Advanced search

To think Snapchat is more dangerous than Instagram?

(13 Posts)
ChoccieEClaire Thu 11-Apr-19 17:09:22

My DD is almost 13, she has had Instagram for a couple of years and never had a negative experience on it. I personally use Instagram so I'm not sure if I feel more comfortable with it as I know how to use it.
My DD is desperate for snapchat, so far it has been an absolute No from me. But I'm wondering if I am BU in not allowing her to have it?
My reasoning so far is because it is known as a 'sexting' app, the messages disappear and also the location finder.
Her friends have it and some are allowed Snapchat and not Instagram.
AIBU in allowing her to use one but not the other?

sleepismysuperpower1 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:14:32

I don't think you are being unreasonable, because i understand your reasoning. I allowed my dd (15) to get snapchat when she was 13, but she had to have location services completely disabled (in settings- meaning the app wasnt allowed access to her location) and she had to 'save' the chats with her friends. you can accept/decline friend requests and they can't snapchat you until you do, so i felt safe on the sexting ground. hope this helped a bit x

SmileEachDay Thu 11-Apr-19 17:14:56

I deal with more bullying and friendship issues as a result of Snapchat than all other SM put together.

Bananacloud Thu 11-Apr-19 17:21:27

Yes!! I realised the other day that not only can you see a list of potential people you could add BUT this list is also linked to your friends accounts. So if your DC’s friend has a pervy friend or relative on there, they have access to all their friends accounts and can add whoever they like. Very very dangerous in my opinion.

ChoccieEClaire Thu 11-Apr-19 17:22:30

@sleepismysuperpower1

I didn't realise chats could be saved so that's good to know. I check through her phone currently.
That's helpful about the settings too.
I wasn't sure if I was being over the top as I know only bad things about it.

@SmileEachDay
I really don't like the concept if Snapchat and what my daughter wants to do on it she can do on other things. It's tough because I want to keep her safe but don't want her to feel left out or ridiculed for not having it

Bananacloud Thu 11-Apr-19 17:23:11

FYI I know this because I have my nieces on there and their teenage friends are on my recommended list of people I could add. I’m 37 for goodness sakes!!

ChoccieEClaire Thu 11-Apr-19 17:27:40

@Bananacloud

It's shocking isn't it?! I've just downloaded it to have a look what it's all about and my recommended friends are people that I don't have in my contacts. They are friends of friends.

SmileEachDay Thu 11-Apr-19 17:30:19

Interesting article about Insta

I think any SM has the potential to be dangerous the NSPCC advice is good - the bit about exploring a new app together seems particularly relevant OP.

TheFirstOHN Thu 11-Apr-19 17:33:53

I work in a secondary school in a role which involves pastoral care. When use of social media has exacerbated a problem, it's usually Snapchat (Y9-11) or WhatsApp (Y7-9). Rarely Instagram.

However, mostly the problem arises from adolescents being either thoughtless or deliberately inflammatory. The social media is just the method.

Bananacloud Thu 11-Apr-19 17:35:48

Exactly!! @**ChoccieEClaire

TheFirstOHN Thu 11-Apr-19 17:37:17

When used positively, Snapchat can be good.
My eldest son is finishing his first year at university. He sends me little photos and videos on Snapchat to reassure me that he is OK and to let me know what he has been up to. We can also use it as a private messaging service to chat by text. I tried contacting him with WhatsApp etc but Snapchat was the only platform he responded on. So it can be useful.

CalamityJune Thu 11-Apr-19 17:39:59

I also work in secondary pastoral and Snapchat is the bane of my life.

ihatethecold Thu 11-Apr-19 17:50:17

Snapchat caused many bullying issues for my daughter in yr 8
So bad the police got involved.
It’s so hard to monitor

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: