Talk

Advanced search

Little lump in my breast

(25 Posts)
Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 14:21:42

I found a small peasized hard lump in one breast behind my areola yesterday mornimg. DP feels it too and its the same today. I have a Dr's appointment already booked for something else early next week. Should I wait until then? See if it changes? I know usually it's nothing but scary nonetheless and it's playing on my mind sad

Divgirl2 Thu 11-Apr-19 14:23:24

Did you tell the GP why you wanted to see them when you made the appointment? You could call and ask to be seen sooner.

Like you said it's probably nothing, but it doesn't help when you're worried. flowers

MustDust Thu 11-Apr-19 14:23:29

No, you ring them now, they're normally very quick with this, it's probably nothing but not worth losing sleep in the mean time. Hope all is OK flowers

MrBobLoblaw Thu 11-Apr-19 14:25:01

Personally I wouldn't wait no. I would suggest getting it checked out asap.
Also my GP once told me off (nicely) for going in with 2 problems as it can make the appt overrun and I can imagine for something like a a breast lump there would be quite a thorough procedure and referral process.

I hope it turns out to be nothing OP it does sound scary but could just be a blocked duct or something.

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 14:28:15

The appointment was made a few weeks ago to follow up bloods from something unrelated, it's on monday. From my googling I'd read to wait a couple days incase it's hormonal, or a gland. Do you think I shouldn't wait? My appointments taken a month they're so busy and it's rare you can get through in the morning so I'm not sure it's even worth ringing. The breast in question feels sore and swollen, like pms, the other doesn't. That's a good sign isn't it?

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 14:29:35

Thankyou flowers

MrBobLoblaw Thu 11-Apr-19 14:46:18

I'm really not qualified to say if it's a good thing or not. I'd be wary of anything you've read online tbh.

Do the NHS have a page on what to do if you find a lump? That's the only online advice I ever follow tbh as almost everything else is unreliable.

If it were me, I'd be ringing at 8am to try and get an appointment that day but I do see your point about waiting to see if it goes away/eases.

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 14:48:00

I called them just to ask and they've given me an appointment for a few hours time. Now I'm just scared more because they've given me one so quickly when it's usually a nightmare to get one within a month. I know that's silly but

Mumofaboyandaspringer Thu 11-Apr-19 15:09:45

I found a lump myself and was given an appointment within a few hrs at the doctors, which like you is a pain to get any sort of appointment for!! I promise it’s completely normal. I was told The nhs has a 2wk deadline to have all lumps checked, scanned and diagnosed. Mine ended up being a cyst, hoping u get the same result. Good luck. Xxx

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Thu 11-Apr-19 15:15:57

Hi. I had a lump in my breast. I made an emergency appt and was seen that day. They have to see you in the breast clinic within 2 weeks and they referred me for a scan. When I got there I was examined and the lump had gone and didn't need the scan after all.
I was told whatever it was was hormonal and linked to my cycle. So even if it's just hormonal you still need to be seen asap to know for sure.

wolfmom Thu 11-Apr-19 15:23:04

I had a lump last year and was seen, referred and mammogrammed within a week, it was a bruise. Always best to have it checked out.

NoSauce Thu 11-Apr-19 15:39:27

It’s good that you’re being seen today, for peace of mind especially, there nothing worse than waiting and worrying. Try and take some reassurance that many lumps are not sinister in the mean time.

Let us know how you get on.

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 16:22:35

She felt it straight away, I have to wait for the clinic appointment letter

cantstopeating01 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:03:02

Glad you got seen straight away . I did have similar recently but it went after 2 weeks . I'm menopausal so hormonal related they said . Hope all gets sorted quickly

MitziK Thu 11-Apr-19 17:12:28

Most doctors' receptionists are human and will move heaven and earth to get any woman who calls saying they've found a lump seen straight away, because they understand how worrying it is.

Same way you get seen quickly at the hospital. It's a breast lump = you get seen.

When I found mine, I had a GP appointment within 35 minutes at a surgery that usually expected you to know six weeks in advance that you were going to be ill and was at the hospital three days later. The GP, a young man, couldn't help but look worried when he felt it immediately (he asked if I wanted a chaperone, obviously, but I didn't give a shit, I just wanted it checked out there and then, rather than potentially wait 2 minutes for somebody to walk down the corridor to us, so my boobs were out almost the instant I said 'no, it's fine' smile)

It was nothing.

A friend's wife wasn't so lucky, but she was also seen quickly, has just had the first post radiotherapy check up and everything is clear.

What I'm saying is that worrying is completely normal, but being seen quickly doesn't mean it's automatically the worst case scenario, we're seen quickly just in case it is, so in those cases, we receive treatment quickly.

flowers

SideEyeing Thu 11-Apr-19 17:13:48

I had a lump and got a same day appointment to get it seen. Was biopsied and scanned at the breast clinic a week later. For me, it turned out to be a benign fibroadenoma (or, creepily, a 'breast mouse' as the doctor called it..!) and I still have it now. Nonetheless, I'm glad I got it sorted out so quickly.
They do send a pretty scary letter when you get your referral to the breast clinic and for me that was the most unnerving thing about the whole process.
I really hope it all goes well for you - most of the time these things turn out to be nothing, but it's great to stay aware of your body and alert to changes just in case.

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 17:24:48

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Hopefully it's nothing, you instantly jump to the what ifs I know. Everyone's busy working without their phones at the moment so feeling abit sorry for myself being alone. I couldn't cope with anything else this last years been dreadful

Iamgratefulfortomorrow Thu 11-Apr-19 17:30:38

I found a lump in 2012 I went to GP he felt it too I said I wanted to be referred to breast clinic he agreed and said he was going to do that anyway ( I had previously had 2 appointments b4 2012, they turned out to be blocked milk duct,) anyway in 2012 referral saved my life...... I always think it's best to get any lump examined even if it's nothing it doesn't matter. Wishing you loads of luck I'm sure it will be fine xxx

WillGymForPizza Thu 11-Apr-19 17:41:17

I found a marble like lump in February. Went to the GP two days later and was referred to the breast clinic, this is standard procedure for all breast pumps. At the clinic I had an ultrasound and biopsy and was told it was very, very unlikely nothing serious. Last week I got the results that it's a fibroadenoma, a totally harmless overgrowth of fibrous tissue and nothing to worry about.

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 18:45:46

I'm glad you all had positive outcomes, it's truly awful

Dippypippy1980 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:00:47

Like so many, I had this situation. The waiting was the worst. In th Ned I sent to a private hospital who saw me within hours of my panic phone call.

It was a cyst. Best £300 I have ever spent.

I am sure it will be fine, but I really sympathise, the worrying isn’t just dreadful

Notcool1984 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:03:06

Another referred in the past, once fatty tissue and once a lymph node.
Sending positive thoughts x

Sparklesocks Thu 11-Apr-19 19:04:07

Hope everything is ok OP and it’s just a cyst or something. flowers Well done for tackling it head on and not avoiding it ❤️

WillGymForPizza Thu 11-Apr-19 19:06:32

The waiting is absolute hell, Ive never known worry like it. Even though I knew that it was unlikely to be anything sinister you can't help but think about the worst case scenario. However the clinic were excellent, and the staff really put me at ease. As awful as this sounds if it had turned out to be the worst case scenario I know I'd have been in the best hands possible.

Meowzzz Thu 11-Apr-19 19:31:35

I've heard they're good with this, my DPs mum had breast cancer a few of years back she's only just had the 5 years clear I think, I hate that I have to worry him with this now. He's not home yet

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »