Talk

Advanced search

To think WTF at Fresh Scent Tampax

(74 Posts)
Coffee2sugars Thu 11-Apr-19 13:31:16

Just in Superdrug and seen that we now have the option of scented tampons. What the absolute fuck is going on??? How to make women even more paranoid than ever angry

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 11-Apr-19 13:34:22

Cant say Ive ever sniffed a tampon, used or wrapped.

Dont buy it. Sorted.

Products are made after market research, this will include presumably women as they are the end user. I cant see them asking a man what he thinks. If the sample users didnt like the product, it wouldnt manufactured. Shock! Some women like scented products. But some women dont and dont think those that do should have choice.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Thu 11-Apr-19 13:35:26

I can smell an Always Ultra pack in a supermarket from the next aisle 🤢

pushingdaisies Thu 11-Apr-19 13:36:33

I recently bought some pads from Aldi - had them from there before and they're much cheaper as my periods are horrendous so it costs me a fortune buying Always etc. - and they'd changed them so when I got home and used one, they were SO strongly scented when they never used to be.
I didn't have any others so used them throughout the day until I could get some different ones. They made me so sore and I had welts where I must have had some sort of reaction to the fragrance, can't even begin to imagine how horrendous that would be if it was internal from a tampon.

It does baffle me why people think vaginas should smell like flowers or perfume, and you're right that it only makes women more paranoid. It's ridiculous

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Thu 11-Apr-19 13:36:56

Surely scent on tampons is just going to cause a raging case of thrush????

BertrandRussell Thu 11-Apr-19 13:37:14

Yet another product aimed to dent a woman’s self esteem then sell them a product to paper over the dent.

pickletickled Thu 11-Apr-19 13:51:16

Urgh I'm going to have to watch out I don't accidently grab any of these. Scented pads give me inflamed raised welt like rashes where they touch my skin so I avoid like the plaque. I don't want to imagine what the irritation would feel like if I inserted it.
Why can't they just leave stuff alone, if we wanted to smell like unnatural sickly flowers while having period, we'd buy some fucking cheap perfume or febreze ourselves thanks!

Katinkka Thu 11-Apr-19 13:53:38

I've changed to Bodyform now as they have an unscented range although I do still keep a packet of the massive Always ones in because sometimes I need them. There's no way on earth I'd use a scented tampon.

JanartaMeen Thu 11-Apr-19 13:56:40

We've switched to Bodyform unscented for precisely this reason too. Had used Always, well always up until the intro of scent.

Roadtrip2018 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:58:21

I used these ONCE, picked up without realising.... OMG the reaction I had was horrific. I looked like the elephant man smuggled in pants and walked like john wayne for a good week. Going to the docs for an internal was just the icing on the cake.

When I complained to Tampax they told me it's the wrapper that is scented not the actual tampon meaning it was unlikely the tampon caused my reaction... no I'm pretty sure I know my body and what caused the reaction angry

Shitonthebloodything Thu 11-Apr-19 14:18:30

I cannot stand scented pads/toilet paper etc. Why do we need scented vaginas?! Makes me so angry as it's not always clear in the packaging so you don't realise until The Itch begins. Why on earth does the inside of our bodies need to be scented?! Vile.

cathf Thu 11-Apr-19 14:29:25

This is such a mumsnet crowd pleaser, and strangely something that doesn't seem to bother people irl.
All MNetters suffer from thrush or itching with scented tampons/towels, yet presumably most women don't, or the company woukd not manufacture them.
We've already had on pp claim they can smell them from the next aisle, just waiting for someone to trump that.
Bonus points to the pp who managed to shoehorn misogyny into the thread too.

BloodsportForAll Thu 11-Apr-19 14:33:14

And this is why I use cloth pads, jam sponge, moon cup.

"oh poor sue, she has bv, her vag reeks, let's sell her a vag perfume tampon and see her bv get worse, ensuring she will keep buying more scented vag products to keep the cycle going make it better"

Fucking idiot sanitary companies.

pickletickled Thu 11-Apr-19 14:34:49

Of course it bothers people IRL hence why i/we posted.
If it doesn't bother you then that's fab but please don't belittle people that do have an issue with unneccessary scented shit.

Nicknacky Thu 11-Apr-19 14:35:54

For gods sake, can we not just appreciate that SOME women may like a product like this?

So don’t buy it if you don’t want it but let’s not take choice away from women.

BertrandRussell Thu 11-Apr-19 14:37:39

“For gods sake, can we not just appreciate that SOME women may like a product like this?”

Why would they even think of it if they hadn’t been told they needed it?

Nicknacky Thu 11-Apr-19 14:39:16

They haven’t been told they needed it. That’s your interpretation of the product.

EjectorCrab Thu 11-Apr-19 14:39:26

I switched to bodyform unscented for this exact reason. Who on earth thought always ultra needed to smell so strongly. The smell is revolting.
I will not by scented tampons in the same way I will not by scented towels.

Been thinking about eco reusable pads recently, can’t get on with a mooncup.

PineappleTart Thu 11-Apr-19 14:39:56

One of my friends actively seeks out scented san pro. Not my choice though and I told her that perfumed pads were awful on me. I just wish that labelling of these products was clearer

Babdoc Thu 11-Apr-19 14:47:47

These products are marketed at women’s insecurities and fears that they might smell of stale blood while menstruating.
There is absolutely no clinical need to stick artificial irritant chemicals into one’s vagina, and excellent reasons not to.
If any woman finds her vaginal discharge smelly or offensive, she needs screened for thrush and bacterial vaginosis, not doused in allergenic chemicals. Simply bathing or showering is all that’s required for normal genital hygiene.

greenpop21 Thu 11-Apr-19 15:01:29

Who is the scent for, my vaginal walls??

greenpop21 Thu 11-Apr-19 15:02:17

I just wish TAMPAX would stop making those plastic applicators and stick to the cardboard ones!

enjoyingscience Thu 11-Apr-19 15:08:39

I’ve developed thrush just thinking about it. 🤮

Nicknacky Thu 11-Apr-19 15:17:50

I’m just getting fucked off by these threads where we are criticising other people's choices.

If a woman (girl, young woman) feels better about themselves by using them then so be it. I’m glad they have a choice about their sanitary products.

Would I use them? Nope. I perhaps would have done 15 years ago where I was in a role where I couldn’t frequently change my tampon and might have used them to give ME the feeling of being fresher, rightly or wrongly.

Coffee2sugars Thu 11-Apr-19 15:26:27

Whilst I appreciate some women may love the fresh scent... To me it just smells of nappies. If one of my female colleagues is on her proud and stands near me you can actually tell they're using scented products as the smell is so strong. Even worse is the smell that comes from the sanitary bins in the women's toilets, that one truly makes me want to vomit sometimes as the stench is unbearable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »