Talk

Advanced search

to change the radio station ?

(12 Posts)
miaCara Thu 11-Apr-19 12:29:09

I have my radio alarm set to Radio 4. I like the gentle talk , no music and no adverts. Together it all brings me gently awake . But recently Ive been waking in a bad mood and wondered why.
This morning I realised that almost the whole programme is and has been for some time almost wholly devoted to fucking Brexit and connected issues.. I have interests in a lot of things and to be honest the ongoing farce that is Brexit is pretty low down. If anything of interest happens Im on it and will watch news reports but for Gods sake enough already.
So after years of solid listening I need a new radio station to listen to in the mornings. Preferably interesting with no music and no adverts .
Is this a futile search?

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Thu 11-Apr-19 12:59:20

Just posting to sympathise - I can hardly ever listen to Today at the moment without shouting at it and turning radio off shortly thereafter. I wonder if anyone (apart from the journalists) actually wants to listen to endless Brexit discussions/speculations all day/every day?

Monty27 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:03:06

Same. Politically aware but sick of Brexit in the media. Like nothing else is happening in the world hmm

DontCallMeCharlotte Thu 11-Apr-19 13:05:51

I listen to Five Live. Of course Brexit is completely unavoidable but it isn't blanket coverage (although it was late last night covering the "flextension" and it was actually quite exciting). They cover loads of human interest stories and other stuff and are quite lighthearted a lot of the time. And when they do interview politicians, they aren't so adversarial which I think results in them getting more straightforward answers.

twoshedsjackson Thu 11-Apr-19 17:24:56

Had you considered the World Service?
I agree with you about Radio 4 being overly Brexit-emphatic at the moment, but luckily I can be happy with Radio 3 as I like music.
I first came across the World Service when I realised that Radio 4 defaults to it at about 1:00 am. But you can tune in to it during the day as well.
Some of the items on there "cross over" to Radio 4 anyway. Brexit does get a passing mention (inevitably!) but in the context of news from around the world, and the same parochialism is not assumed.
Like you, I'm interested in current affairs, but I feel too many other things are passing us by at the moment.
It's occasionally surprising, as when the location of major cities is carefully explained (where a Brit would be assumed to know where Liverpool is, for example), but there is a broader perspective.
Alternatively, Radio 4 extra often airs old favourites (as well as extended versions of current Radio 4 shows like the News Quiz) but if you want early morning gentle burble, it's probably too engaging!

TipseyTorvey Thu 11-Apr-19 17:27:42

For the first time in 10 years I have changed the 'favourite' button on my little Roberts to classic instead of radio 4 which I now call the brexit channel. I know many people who are saying the same. Perhaps we all need to contact them and say 'JUST STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT'. Not sure if would do any good mind.

maddy68 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:29:12

Don't listen to any talk show in a morning. Listen to something light-hearted. Radio X is chat and less music and funny. Its a good way to start the day

PlainVanilla Thu 11-Apr-19 17:30:43

I'd recommend SWR3 or Classic FM.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 11-Apr-19 17:35:31

I do love radio X, but a lot of the music is very much of my generation and guitar based, so depends on your age and tastes. You could try radio4 extra?

miaCara Thu 11-Apr-19 19:17:58

Oh Im so glad its not just me who is interested in current affairs but is so overloaded with Brexit on Radio 4.

Its not that I hate music just that it tends to rouse me more than burbling speech does. Often its louder than the preceding speech too which usually forces me to lie there being annoyed while trying to hang on to the last threads of sleep.Im lucky in that we dont have small children who are awake before us so we appreciate this twilight time before the days madness begins.
Ive done a little research as far as possible using your suggestions and maybe the world service is the way to go. Unfortunately todays newscasts did seem to concentrate on Brexit but perhaps that was just because of the overnight 'developments'.

Crabbitstick Thu 11-Apr-19 19:30:05

Another 5 Live fan here. It takes itself less seriously than Radio 4. Good coverage of news, human interest, audience participation. Always good chat between presenters who genuinely sound like they like each other. Nicky Campbell is very entertaining but can grill a politician with the best of them. Definitely worth a try - especially during week where there is more of a news/affairs focus. Weekends are more sport focussed.

64sNewName Thu 11-Apr-19 19:31:24

World Service is where I’ve gone for the same reason.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »