Talk

Advanced search

To think you don’t drive down the middle of the road

(39 Posts)
Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Thu 11-Apr-19 12:06:18

Braving AIBU so please be kind! I IABU I’m happy to hear it.

We live rurally. I’m a non-driver.

The other day a friend (A) and I were given a lift by friend of a friend (B).

The road was a very winding one. B drive down the middle of the road spanning both lanes and sometimes on the wrong side of the road. When a car came in the opposite direction she returned to her own side of the road.

I wasn’t happy and wanted to get out of the car. A and B found it funny and called me an old woman.

A said afterwards that this is the safe and normal way to drive down this road and that she drives in the same way. She says that taking the straightest route down a winding road is the safest way to drive and that it reduces risk of skidding.

Asked friend C, who says WTAF and that this isn’t a thing, that visibility isn’t good and they might not spot a car coming the opposite way until too late.

So AIBU or is this a normal driving technique? Am I being silly not wanting to accept a lift from A or B again?

NuclearReactor Thu 11-Apr-19 18:01:39

I drive down a road which seems very similar to the one you talk about. Driving in the middle of the road is ok (and common) as long as you can see well ahead what's in front of you and able to move back into your lane well ahead of time.

If it's winding with blind corners then no it isn't ok.

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Thu 11-Apr-19 17:42:29

Thanks all! Really useful feedback! That was a pretty painless venture into AIBU!

akkakk Thu 11-Apr-19 14:52:16

driving on the other side of the road is known as off-siding...
- where you cross a solid white line it is illegal
- otherwise legal
- you should only do it if by doing so you increase your view - making it safer - not where it closes down your view
- therefore you would only ever do it approaching a left bend (you can see further around the bend)
- you never do it approaching a right bend
- you always leave more than enough room to return to your side
- you don't do it to avoid skiding - if that is a risk - the driver should slow down
- you do it only for observational reasons
- the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) no longer tech it - though you won't be penalised if you use it as a skill

is it wrong - no, but it is an advanced skill and you need to know what you are doing to use it - the issue comes with those who think that they know what they are doing but don't and it all goes wrong...

Seeline Thu 11-Apr-19 13:34:36

The Highway Code states:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Damntheman Thu 11-Apr-19 13:17:04

Not that obvious biscuit, given the OP's driver was doing it on a twisty road with no visibility.

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 13:15:46

Depends which direction you are driving

PineapplePatty Thu 11-Apr-19 13:14:15

Sounds like the best way to do it.

Whatdoesitmatteranyway Thu 11-Apr-19 13:07:52

If you straddle the white line in that picture you can see what is coming far earlier than on the left side of the road.

Therefore its safer so long as you can move back.

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 13:06:03

Solid white line is there for a reason. Don't cross it.

user1471590586 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:03:52

Which side of the road were they on. Have just taken this from a driving test tips website. "DOUBLE WHITE LINES WHERE THE LINE NEAREST YOU IS SOLID
Solid white line on your side of the road means you must not cross the line except for the above circumstances. Vehicles in the opposite lane may cross the line."

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 13:03:32

That looks like an A road. Likely to have a fair bit of traffic on it. Unsure what skidding risk they are talking about unless it's icy generally in which case you don't drive like a twat (another term grin) when it's icy. But it's not icy at this time of year generally. If there is a problem with say mud that you know about, again, you adjust your driving for that spot and the risk of oncoming traffic.

kalopali Thu 11-Apr-19 13:03:10

It’s an advanced driving technique, where there is a broken white line you should use all the available road when safe to do so. Usually used to improve your lines of sight but also for example on a little left/right sequence of bends that you can see completely through, you could be fully on the wrong side of the road to maximise your speed through them.

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Thu 11-Apr-19 13:02:19

It’s definitely a fully functioning road. Round here that’s as major as the roads get. We were on a bendier part.

Nacreous Thu 11-Apr-19 12:59:27

I would definitely expect to drive on my side of the road on a road like that. It's not a narrow, rural, barely more than single lane job. It's a proper, fully functioning road. I would potentially expect that someone might cross onto the other side if they were somewhere without walls or hedges obstructing their view and it made for an easier corner. Otherwise, no.

Seeline Thu 11-Apr-19 12:59:19

If there is a solid white line on your side of the road, you shouldn't be crossing it.
If it's dashed lines it's ok to cross if you can see it's safe etc

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 12:58:50

If they cross the unbroken line that is wrong. There's a fairly sharp blind bend there that I wouldn't take chances with.
At night you can see oncoming headlights but that still doesn't mean there are no other hazards.

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 12:56:28

I might take a "racing line" (it's a term) on a corner on a white lined road if I have an uninterrupted view of oncoming traffic - usually down hill with no blind bends and no other cars in the road coming towards me for about half a mile. There's a spot where I do this but only in those specific circumstances and not routinely.

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Thu 11-Apr-19 12:55:21

At risk of outing myself, this is the road

frasersmummy Thu 11-Apr-19 12:53:01

If there is a middle line you should drive in the left hand lane. Not straddling the white line and most certainly not in the right hand lane.. Thats just plain dangerous

BiscuitDrama Thu 11-Apr-19 12:49:15

Damn Obviously you would only drive on the wrong side or the middle if you can see far enough ahead.

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Thu 11-Apr-19 12:48:48

There was a middle line

Damntheman Thu 11-Apr-19 12:38:28

As previous posters have stated though, if the road didn't have a middle line on it - so there was actually no lane division, then the middle is more expected. Although if you're doing that then you also need to be driving slowly enough to be sure that you can react in time should someone come the other way. It should not be hair raising.

Damntheman Thu 11-Apr-19 12:36:47

Oh no no no! I live in a place where a lot of roads wind along the coast. They're narrow and twisty and you should never drive in the middle of the road unless you have excellent vision forward. If someone else came around the bend you'd have nowhere to go but a head on collision!

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 12:33:34

I drive on narrow country lanes in the middle of the road mindful of inclines, bends and where the last passing place was (if it's that narrow).

PeggySueOooOo Thu 11-Apr-19 12:28:15

My driving instructor taught me to drive in the middle of rural roads where there are no lines. I only do it if I can properly see ahead as I don't think it is particularly safe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »