Talk

Advanced search

To not put him in a cot bed yet

(30 Posts)
lordofthefries Thu 11-Apr-19 10:26:15

DS will be 2 next week and is currently sleeping in a cot or in with us. He isn’t trying to climb out of his cot yet, and fits perfectly well in there. He also wants to be in with us a lot, so I worry that moving him into a cot bed will make it harder to get him to sleep on his own as he can just get up and into our room. Would it be okay to keep him in a cot until he’s a bit bigger, or does he really need to move to a real bed?.

Orangedaisy Thu 11-Apr-19 10:27:19

If it’s working don’t change anything. Simples.

Siennabear Thu 11-Apr-19 10:29:45

We moved our son from cot to bed at 2.5 as we were due his sister around then. No problem at all. I worried he would be getting up but he hasn’t. You can try or leave it a little longer?

lordofthefries Thu 11-Apr-19 10:31:44

@Orangedaisy I have a ‘if it’s not broken, don’t fix it* attitude towards it, but my SIL keeps telling me he should be moved into a cot bed (she doesn’t have DC).

toomuchtooold Thu 11-Apr-19 10:35:53

No way, if he's sleeping well leave him alone. It might become an issue once he's dry at night if he needs to get up to the toilet, but that'll be a good while yet. Our DDs were 3 and a half before we moved them.

Thesearmsofmine Thu 11-Apr-19 10:37:32

All mine were over two before I moved them. If it works then leave then be!

lordofthefries Thu 11-Apr-19 10:38:37

I’m expecting another baby in December, so he’ll be about 32 months by then so we’re considering moving him around that time if he’s still happy then.

BertieBotts Thu 11-Apr-19 10:39:12

Move him when you need to. I wouldn't even bother getting a cotbed. I'd buy a normal single when he's too big for the cot, or when you need it for another baby.

Ask your SIL for a source on her "should". Should be entertaining.

lordofthefries Thu 11-Apr-19 10:46:00

@BertieBotts That’s been my train of though, I don’t want to spend unnecessary money.

My SIL is a WHOLE other thread. She studies psychology at Uni and thinks she knows everything. The other day she told me that DS will probably have no friends at school because we’re young parents.

Orangedaisy Thu 11-Apr-19 10:56:59

Smile and nod to SIL and ignore her.

Chippychipsforme Thu 11-Apr-19 11:03:23

I was a great parent before I had kids too.

I've no idea what a cot bed is but I'd probably go for just a normal big boy single bed!

Queenfreak Thu 11-Apr-19 11:06:14

Feck that, my just turned 2 year old either co-sleeps or is in a cot bed (with sides up)
She doesn't try to climb out yet, and quite frankly I'll be keeping the sides up as long as I can.
She finds new and interesting ways to maim herself all day long, I don't need to worry about her at night too!

Kennebunkport Thu 11-Apr-19 11:09:02

@lordofthefries My DS was 27 months, so I'd just move when you feel comfortable. Although I would do it a couple of months before baby arrives, as it's best not to make big changes too close to having a new sibling. Too many changes at once can be overwhelming for DC and depending on the child can cause more upset than necessary.

NewSchoolNewName Thu 11-Apr-19 11:13:02

If it’s working for you then it’s fine to leave things as they are for now.

All my 3 DC were in beds before 2 yrs, but all of them had been trying to climb out of their cot. DC3 frightened us when he managed to fall onto the floor off the top of his cot one night (he was fine, thankfully).

Once all that started we felt they were safer in beds, but if they’d been happy to stay in the cot, they’d have been in cots for longer.

Damntheman Thu 11-Apr-19 11:13:34

In my opinion you'll want to move him into a bed at least a month before the baby is due, otherwise there might be some jealousy issues over baby having his cot.

Otherwise I'd just leave him be for a while longer! He's happy, it's so much easier for travelling. Why rock the boat when you don't have to?

Damntheman Thu 11-Apr-19 11:14:03

My youngest is 2.5 years and still in her cot quite happily.

lordofthefries Thu 11-Apr-19 11:16:26

We’d definitely move him a bit before the baby comes, because he’s quite a sensitive little boy so I can imagine him getting quite jealous. Thank you all though, I thought what I was doing was right but then as a mum you always second guess yourself. Glad to know we’re doin go the right thing

MySecondBestBroomstick Thu 11-Apr-19 11:17:25

It's fine. I would recommend decoupling moving beds from the baby arriving so he doesn't get jealous at having to give his cot up to the baby, but it doesn't need to be now.

Be warned your first sign he can climb out might be him landing on his head, and it's quite a big fall! But we kept one of ours in a cot until 2y4m.

Blondebakingmumma Thu 11-Apr-19 11:17:38

My dd was 2.5 when our DS was born. I decided to leave her in the cot as it was familiar to her before the big changes of a baby coming home. We left her in the cot a couple of months after baby was born, then moved her to her big girl bed. She was happy, we were happy and to be honest she is 3.5 now and can’t remember sleeping in the cot

MySecondBestBroomstick Thu 11-Apr-19 11:17:46

Crossposted!

Blondebakingmumma Thu 11-Apr-19 11:18:45

We did leave the cot empty a couple of months before we moved our DS in so dd didn’t become jealous. We had our son in a bassinet in our bedroom to start.

BillywigSting Thu 11-Apr-19 11:24:14

We had a cot bed where the sides came off to turn it into a toddler bed. Ds went in his moses basket in the bed, then just the bed with the sides up when he grew out of that.

The day he climbed over the side we took it down and he's still in it now at 5yo (he's small for 5 though).

Ignore your sil, she's talking out of her arse. Do what works for you and definitely don't change sleep routines that work!

Whitelisbon Thu 11-Apr-19 11:28:22

My 3yo is still in her cot - she's in with us still (nowhere else to put her) and could easily climb out, but doesn't. She climbs in at bedtime every night though!
She's happy, I'm happy, and that's the way it shall be for now grin

lordofthefries Thu 11-Apr-19 11:46:42

It’s great to hear similar stories, I’ll definitely be ignoring my SIL from now on. Like you said, there’s no point changing sleep routines that work.

Camomila Thu 11-Apr-19 11:59:24

For the future I'd probably skip the cot bed/toddler bed all together.

We moved DS from his cot to a toddler bed at 20m because he could climb out. The toddler bed was such a pain - it was really uncomfortable for us to sit on to do stories etc/lie down if he woke up at night etc. and he just ended up sleeping with us most of the time.
For the last few months (he's just turned 3) he's been in a normal single bed with a guard rail and it's so much better - you can lie down with him and unlike the toddler bed he doesn't tend to get down by himself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: