Talk

Advanced search

To think it would be good to add an ADVISORY Brexit question to the May UK European election?

(21 Posts)
Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 08:42:53

So, with no extra cost or fuss, just an advisory indicator of what people think. Question..knowing what you know now, would you vote leave or remain..with those two boxes.

Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 08:50:01

So that our parliament would get an idea of how people feel now ( as I voted remain and am fed up of being told it is undemocratic not to leave when a small majority voted to leave in an ADVISORY vote in 2016)/

MrsSpenserGregson Thu 11-Apr-19 08:54:21

I'd love to know the outcome of that extra box but given what happened last time we had an advisory vote I'd be a bit wary of how it would be used....!

I feel the same as you about the whole ADVISORY issue. What a fecking mess.

MsJaneAusten Thu 11-Apr-19 08:54:32

I think adding extra questions would be a brilliant idea. It should be two though:

1) would you now rather remain or leave?

2) if we leave, would you rather: may’s deal / no deal / whatever the other options are

Holidayshopping Thu 11-Apr-19 08:55:08

Good idea!

ReleaseTheBats Thu 11-Apr-19 08:56:13

What would you like to happen if this was done and the majority voted leave OP?

Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 09:00:01

Then we continue looking for a deal to leave with.

CanILeavenowplease Thu 11-Apr-19 09:04:09

It need to be more specific than ‘remain’ or ‘leave’...more ‘remain’, ‘leave with x deal’, ‘leave with y deal’ or ‘leave with no deal’.

MsJaneAusten Thu 11-Apr-19 09:06:34

It need to be more specific than ‘remain’ or ‘leave’...more ‘remain’, ‘leave with x deal’, ‘leave with y deal’ or ‘leave with no deal’.

It can’t be just one question like that. It would dilute the ‘leave’ vote, which would be great, but massively unfair.

Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 09:15:34

The reason I would suggest just leave or remain, now that we know more (although I don't understand it all) is just to give an indication as to how we feel. If you have leave/remain/or a deal, the current deal has been rejected by parliament leave and remain MPs. If you have remain or a deal, there is no current deal acceptable to the majority of leavers. If you have leave or a deal, the same applies to remainers.

maddening Thu 11-Apr-19 09:15:38

It should be two tier

1-Remain vs leave - majority of 60-40 required either way

2-how to leave if leave was the majority 60% of the vote

Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 09:24:24

In 2016 I voted remain ( whilst understanding many leavers' points of view) because ( amongst other things) I feel we are safer as part of EU and much of our wealth and status in the world comes from being an important country in the EU. But, I had little knowledge about the customs union, the Irish border issue, the issues around the free trade agreement. This is true of many of the 30 million plus voters who voted. So, ( advisory only) let's have a freebie vote added to the MEP May election asking, What do we think now?

Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 09:28:31

I agree Maddening, but in order for a quick question to be added, it might just need to be the first, with ADVISORY being emphasised . Whatever the percentage, it would advise parliament. I

Tomtontom Thu 11-Apr-19 09:33:52

It can't be done. I can't recall the time frames, but there has to be a certain amount of notice given. It's longer than a general election (six weeks), so we're definitely too late for anything in early May.

It's a good idea in principle though.

DGRossetti Thu 11-Apr-19 09:47:31

Jacob Rees-Mogg had a very sensible suggestion for a two-stage referendum process. Maybe contact him and get his ideas. I hear he's a great friend of democracy.

Clavinova Thu 11-Apr-19 10:07:36

This is true of many of the 30 million plus voters who voted.
So, (advisory only) let's have a freebie vote added to the MEP May election asking.What do we think now?

The turnout for the 2014 European Elections was only 35% (16.5 million voters) - how will you encourage 30 million people to vote in May if you tell them in advance that their vote doesn't really count because it's only advisory?

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 11-Apr-19 10:17:01

The turnout for the 2014 European Elections was only 35% (16.5 million voters) - how will you encourage 30 million people to vote in May if you tell them in advance that their vote doesn't really count because it's only advisory?

this ^ from Clavinova

Bluntness100 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:20:03

It's just a second referendum by stealth. So no I don't think we should do it. You only have to read some of the threads on here to see the total and utter confusion on brexit there is, the overwhelming amount of inaccurate information that people believe.

We should never have asked the first time. Let's not compound it by asking again.

PlainVanilla Thu 11-Apr-19 11:39:55

No, because I live in the EU and was not entitled to vote in the UK referendum. I can vote in the EU elections in the country where I live, though.

Mammajay Thu 11-Apr-19 16:54:46

Bluntness I think you make a good point. My prompt for doing this was hearing a man sobbing on the radio because he thinks democracy is dead and his life has no point since he voted leave ( extreme reaction IMO) and his vote ( which was advisory!) was being ignored. Some Brexit favouring MPs use the same rhetoric and I thought it would at least indicate whether public opinion has changed. It also might encourage a bigger turn out for the MEP election. But perhaps advisory referenda confuse voters in our parliamentary system

bellinisurge Thu 11-Apr-19 17:03:13

That's not how EU elections work. Or how referenda work.
They have to be two separate things. And we'd need to get the option of a referendum through parliament and then get the words agreed by the electoral commission (or is it the other way around?)
But, to be honest, it's no less mad than the other crazy shit that's been flying around.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: