Talk

Advanced search

to think my baby didn't sleep last night because I had an energy drink?

(34 Posts)
narnias Thu 11-Apr-19 07:26:28

I never, ever drink energy drinks. Apart from last night... I agreed to go on a run with my friend. I was knackered and didn't really want to go. There was a rather large energy drink in the fridge that my brother left here. He uses them before the gym, so I figured I would drink it. It was pretty grim and just tasted like sugar. I ran pretty well, but not putting that down to the drink.

My DS is ebf and I'm now feeling stupid for not thinking about the effect this may have had on him. He was awake all night which is not usual.

I know, I was stupid to drink it. I didn't even think! Beating myself up enough about it, please don't pile in 😥

AIBU to think the caffeine kept him up?

PotteringAlong Thu 11-Apr-19 07:28:38

Yes. You’re not a soda stream, the amount of caffeine that will have passed from your system into your breast milk is minimal. You say yourself it’s not unusual for him to be up in the night. Honestly, don’t beat yourself up, it’s fine.

HJWT Thu 11-Apr-19 07:28:57

I think the caffeine would of kept him up but not all night, surely not enough would of gone to your breast milk for it to keep him up ALL night, are you sure he isn't teething ! X

Awrite Thu 11-Apr-19 07:30:50

No harm done. Babies have sleepless nights.

I'm sure your son will sleep tonight.

narnias Thu 11-Apr-19 07:32:44

The can even says not suitable for breastfeeding women (just fished it out of the recycling!) - bloody stupid me!

Awrite Thu 11-Apr-19 07:35:49

Honestly - you will be feeling like shit because you've had a sleepless night too. Be kind to yourself, there will be no lasting damage and you will both get through today.

narnias Thu 11-Apr-19 07:42:13

Yep. Exhausted!

HoraceCope Thu 11-Apr-19 07:42:49

Should you be running if you are breastfeeding?
you will knacker yourself

narnias Thu 11-Apr-19 07:44:57

@HoraceCope it's ok, I ran a half marathon last week. It's my thing. My body is very used to it and it's my escape from everything else around me.

HoraceCope Thu 11-Apr-19 07:47:00

ah, well done op, good to have a stress reliever, but you know not to over do the caffeine

user1468348545 Thu 11-Apr-19 07:48:03

I checked this as one day I could barely function as I'd been up all night as I couldn't sleep. Baby did though!! I'm ebf and they recommend no more than 200mg of caffeine like when pregnant. Those large cans come in at between 140-180 so as long as you didn't have an other excessive caffeine through the day it shouldn't make too much difference smile

Ihatehashtags Thu 11-Apr-19 07:50:19

How old is your baby?

WeeMadArthur Thu 11-Apr-19 07:56:20

The same thing happened to me with 14 month old DS when we went to see relatives and they didn’t have decaf tea or coffee, they offered me Coke and I thought it was a caffeine free one but it wasn’t and DS was up half the night (was still feeding for naps). Never again!

I am quite sensitive to caffeine though, I can tell if someone has given me a normal coffee by accident (looking at you DH) as I feel a bit juddery/woozy headed shortly after drinking it, so it does definitely have a noticeable effect if you aren’t used to it being in your system.

whatsnewchoochoo Thu 11-Apr-19 07:58:35

I think they're unconnected. I pretty much survived on caffeine for the first few months with DS. He woke every 90 mins but that was to feed not because of the caffeine.

Very little amounts of anything go through to breast milk to be honest, don't worry

OoohAyyye Thu 11-Apr-19 08:02:45

I'd say it's very likely but don't beat yourself up about it. Nice nap for you both today.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 11-Apr-19 08:04:25

I declined a coffee the other day and explained to my mum I'd already had a fairly large one and I'd probably hit my caffeine limit for the day (BF 200mg), she did 'ohhh maybe that's why your brother didn't sleep for the best part of two years, I basically mainlined coffee to deal with two under two', we were both breastfed until over 12 months by which point sleeping patterns have taken hold, I was the eldest and slept a lot so DM was less tired with me and didn't turn to coffee

Tinyteatime Thu 11-Apr-19 08:06:02

Hardly any caffeine gets through to b/m and don’t forget it passes out again quickly. It’s probably coincidence!

Biancadelrioisback Thu 11-Apr-19 08:06:54

I lived on coffee when BF and my son slept just fine. Don't worry about it

HarryTheSteppenwolf Thu 11-Apr-19 08:17:36

How old is the baby? Babies under about 6 months haven't yet produced much of the liver enzyme that breaks down caffeine (CYP1A2), so they are particularly sensitive to it. Once they're past 6 months they are much less sensitive to caffeine.

About 1% of the caffeine you take in will reach your breast milk, with the concentration peaking about 1 hour after you drink it.

Anyway, you won't have done the baby any harm. It's just one wakeful night.

Acis Thu 11-Apr-19 08:19:37

Would it have got through to your milk that quickly?

Dieu Thu 11-Apr-19 08:21:06

Aww, bless you, don't beat yourself up!
I did something similar with my second child, when she was a baby and breast-fed.
I ate too many Smarties one day, and she got absolutely hyper blush

SherlockSays Thu 11-Apr-19 08:21:34

Of course she can run if she's breastfeeding hmm women don't just put their entire lives on hold for months/years.

HavelockVetinari Thu 11-Apr-19 08:35:38

PPs are correct that the amount of caffeine in your breast milk would be tiny, definitely not enough to keep a baby awake. It's a coincidence, most babies have random bad nights.

flowers it's so tough when you have a poor sleeper.

Bringbackthestripes Thu 11-Apr-19 08:42:06

www.infantrisk.com/content/high-energy-drinks-and-breastfeeding

While caffeine, when used in moderation, is generally considered safe for most breastfeeding mothers, some infants can be very sensitive to it. Signs and symptoms of caffeine stimulation in a baby include rapid heart rate, fussiness, and insomnia.

Just avoid in future.

cloudymelonade Thu 11-Apr-19 08:43:52

Even if it was the caffeine that kept him up, so what??
Going a night with little to no sleep really isn't going to do him any harm in the long run, please don't beat yourself up over this thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »