Talk

Advanced search

To ask my neighbour not to put our address on parcels?

(118 Posts)
MummytoCSJH Wed 10-Apr-19 20:11:56

I've seen many a post about this topic. I just don't know how to tell my neighbour not to do this! My partner accepted the parcel from Amazon before looking at the name as I wasn't in and he was working from home, but this has happened before and I resolved not to accept them again if they're at our address but not for us. My partner works full time (sometimes from home but not regularly) and I'm at university full time and work part time so I'm not sure why she expects us to be in more than her? I don't want an argument or falling out as we don't have any other major issues with her, other than the odd cheeky request, but frankly its a pain to be taking in her parcels then chasing her up to get them. They're not signed for either so she could easily claim we stole them! How to I tell her to stop (kindly)?

JuniperBeer Wed 10-Apr-19 20:12:58

Refuse it. Person not known at address. It’ll go back to the depot. They’ll soon learn

Bambamber Wed 10-Apr-19 20:13:06

I would send them all back to sender clearly marked 'not at this address'

HoneysuckIejasmine Wed 10-Apr-19 20:13:45

Don't accept it.

StoneofDestiny Wed 10-Apr-19 20:13:52

Wow - that is seriously cheeky. Just tell her not to do it!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 10-Apr-19 20:15:25

Tell her that any and all parcels with your address on them will be considered to be a gift and you will be keeping them

WhatchaMaCalllit Wed 10-Apr-19 20:16:59

You would have three options.
1 - Tell your neighbour you will no longer be accepting any parcels for them so they are to stop using your address as the delivery address for their online purchases.
2. Return to sender or just don't accept it and let it into your house
3. Keep the stuff

Open the parcel up as though you thought it was for you as it was to your address and start using one of the items. They won't be long in changing where they get their stuff delivered if they think that they wont be able to use it. (the last bit is really what I'd love to do but would probably end up doing either 1 or 2).

Drum2018 Wed 10-Apr-19 20:18:25

Do you mean she has actually used your address or the delivery person just tries your house? If she uses your address don't hesitate to tell her not to do it again. If you still have the recent parcel to give her tell her then that you are not accepting any more parcels for her. And stick to that - even if she continues to use your address do not accept any parcels from postman or courier.

DeltaDawn13 Wed 10-Apr-19 20:18:31

No this is not right and could be for other reasons rather than them knowing that you will be home to take them in and more to do with fraud.
If they are getting them delivered to an alternative address as they will not be home then on amazon then there is a part to safe leave in a save place and this would be where your address is out but not on the address label.
I would so not be happy with this at all.

CurbsideProphet Wed 10-Apr-19 20:18:35

Your neighbour sounds a cheeky prick. Refuse to accept parcels from Amazon on the basis that name is not known at your address. They could be using your address for credit cards etc.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 10-Apr-19 20:20:06

Take the parcel over to her and point out her ‘mistake’ -

“This is addressed to you, but you’ve put our address on it! It’s lucky we were in, otherwise you might not have got it. Best make sure that doesn’t happen again - we are out a lot and you don’t want to have to spend ages chasing down your orders!”

Then, if any more turn up, refuse to take delivery.

Xyzzzzz Wed 10-Apr-19 20:20:18

Return to sender each time.

MummytoCSJH Wed 10-Apr-19 20:22:43

She's actually used our address! It's amazon too so she hasn't just clicked the wrong number - she's had to add our address as a new one. Just on my way back from the shops so haven't fully read through all replies yet. Back in 5!

mineofuselessinformation Wed 10-Apr-19 20:23:02

The next time, open it - ( and claim innocence when she comes to collect it - it had your address on, you didn't really look at the name and were expecting a parcel). Don't chase her to collect either, you know she will have had a delivery notification if it's amazon.
After that, if the message doesn't get through, just refuse saying no-one of that name lives there.

mineofuselessinformation Wed 10-Apr-19 20:25:17

I forgot to add, make a point of commenting on the contents of the parcel you opened:
'Ohh, lovely! It's so nice I was tempted to keep it!'
'Not my taste really, but each to their own!' With a friendly smile.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 10-Apr-19 20:25:39

I’d point out their accidental mistake and insist they correct it.

A friend of mine had problems when Boden kept defaulting to my address (that she’d only wanted to use once). Amazon is better though.

NoParticularPattern Wed 10-Apr-19 20:26:31

I’d either refuse the parcels (difficult if they leave them and you’re not in or if you don’t get chance to check the name etc before taking them, although I guess you could return it to sender once you’re in receipt of the item?). Or my other suggestion would be to start opening them and then take them round with an “ooh I’m dreadfully sorry I’ve unpacked this, I thought it was the package I was expecting since it has our address on it and all....”. In fact I’ve just done this today (genuinely not intentionally) with some stuff from the people who used to live in this house 3 years ago. Believe it or not we have the same first initial and surname so when a letter addressed “Mrs A Smith” turns up I naturally open it. Only to find that it’s not for Anne but for Audrey and is relating to her child’s bank account at the local building society. Wonder how quickly that address will be getting changed when I send it to her and apologise for opening something with my name and address on?! Fairly sharpish I'd bet.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Wed 10-Apr-19 20:28:56

Go and tell her it isn't on and from now on you'll be refusing them ad getting them returned to the sender.

TiIIy Wed 10-Apr-19 20:31:17

I'd thank them for the thoughtful gift. 🤣

Felyne Wed 10-Apr-19 20:31:53

Was just going to suggest 'accidentally on purpose' opening it too!

cakeandchampagne Wed 10-Apr-19 20:33:03

I would refuse/return to sender all of the packages. I wouldn’t be interested in hearing any stories about why she is using the wrong address. And if there is some sort of fraud going on, I wouldn’t want to be involved in any way.

MummytoCSJH Wed 10-Apr-19 20:34:36

Thanks all. I have refused 2 already, as I mentioned my partner wasn't really aware of all this - did tell him but assume it went in one ear and out the other - so just took it as it was to our address, the person delivering didn't say who it was for. I really dont know how to word what I say. I know she will message me tonight asking if I can take it round, I'm a lot younger than her and not scared or one to back down but it's just a bit daunting as I don't want to come across as rude to her. My partner says just to leave it but it's really annoying me as it's happened quite a few times now, I've ended up going to pick up parcels from Royal Mail when I haven't ordered anything and obviously not being allowed to pick it up as it's not in my name when I've gotten to the sorting office - not sure she realised that would happen and it's been returned eventually. A 20 min drive for me each way too hmm. Since then they've all been amazon which obviously if you're not in they just try again.

truthisarevolutionaryact Wed 10-Apr-19 20:37:37

Hello CF neighbour,
I think there's an error with your Amazon account as parcels for you are coming to our address? Obviously we won't accept any other parcels in future but please could you check and then amend the error at your end.
Thank you.

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 10-Apr-19 20:38:50

Just be very clear and firm with her that it's not on and she cant do it going forward. It's a really odd thing to do on the first place.

Creatureofthenight Wed 10-Apr-19 20:39:07

Hang on, she’s going to message you to get you to hand deliver her parcel?! That’s so cheeky. She can collect it herself, tell her you’re busy and when she comes tell her not to use your address.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: