Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to Ask What Daily Chores/Errands Secretly Give You A Thrill?? :-)

(185 Posts)
HugoBearsMummy Wed 10-Apr-19 17:50:24

I'll go first!

Replenishing my baby changing bag at the end of the day- ie. filling with new nappies, wipes, topping up my formula powder pot, fresh Muslin cloth & bib all ready for the next day

Tidying the living room, plumping pillows etc before I go to bed so it's nice and tidy in the morning

This one's got to be popular- emptying the washing basket 🧺 --for all of five minutes!!
--
Turning down the beds and shutting the curtains making the bedrooms all cosy for night time

I know I know- I'm very sad! Would love to hear other people's! ....

CheersSonsCryingNiceOne Sat 13-Apr-19 00:54:20

No cleaning job thrills me but I like dealing with storage space. My kitchen is tiny and each square inch counts. I love looking at the cupboards all neat and tidy.

I also like to prep dinner the way chefs do it on TV. I have lots of little glass bowls left over from shop bought Christmas desserts. These are the perfect size for me to put all the ingredients in. It winds dh up because it makes more washing up (we have a dishwasher hmmgrin). He is a good cook but is very slapdash. He misjudges timings, forgets key ingredients and starts cooking as he chops (which is fine because I do if I have to be quick). I remember watching This Morning years ago and someone commented that they got flustered when cooking which caused them to burn or forget things. Phil Vickery said just prep everything you need before you start cooking and make sure you have all the tools ready as well. It seems so obvious but I haven't ever had a kitchen mishap since.

Wanttomakemincepies Fri 12-Apr-19 22:04:06

I love cleaning my floors with method rhubarb floor cleaner.
Full fish tank clean
Laundry on line, especially nappies
Pretty much everything except washing up greasy pans

PH03b3 Fri 12-Apr-19 17:20:39

Sitting with a coffee whilst the tumble dryer washing machine and dishwasher do the majority of the work for me!

MaHeidsGouping Fri 12-Apr-19 14:43:04

managedmis This is the Rhubarb method that is mentioned.

Slippiepippie Fri 12-Apr-19 14:24:58

Washing my windows with the scraper thingy. Soo satisfying!!!

HugoBearsMummy Fri 12-Apr-19 14:24:03

@ScienceIsTruth I'm laughing at the fridge photography grin

HugoBearsMummy Fri 12-Apr-19 14:22:36

@eclipse1808 what is this flash stuff for the bucket ? Sounds utterly satisfying and I want to try it lol

HugoBearsMummy Fri 12-Apr-19 11:35:21

@BuzzPeakWankBobbly one mans meat eh smile

HugoBearsMummy Fri 12-Apr-19 11:34:40

@LaurieMarlow I just do it as part of the polishing surfaces routine! And in the hallway & kitchen I just run the mop over them. I don't actually kneel & scrub them or anything lol!

thecatsthecats Fri 12-Apr-19 10:57:39

NOTHING involving cleaning. Stupid stuff should just stay clean.

But fuck me, I love a good reorganise.

Arrowfanatic Fri 12-Apr-19 10:55:38

I love watching DH mow the lawns. We dont seem to have normal lawn grass, ours is more like field grass & grows 3 times quicker than normal lawn grass. I have quite severe hayfever so cant go out & do it myself but i love seeing the extra long grass cut nice & short.

Oh and we have horrible laminate tiles in the kitchen & fore some unknown reason they're starting to pull apart. One bit is about an inch apart & all sorts of dust, crumbs & cat fur gets in it. I feel all satisfied when i run the hoover over it & it makes that noise & the cavern is empty again.......for like 30 seconds or so.

64sNewName Fri 12-Apr-19 10:19:07

“Extra” bits on beds irritate me too. They look fussy, and you always have to find somewhere to put them in hotels.

I still did sort of turn down the top of my duvet last night and tidy the bedside area ahead of time though, and it was definitely nicer to collapse into later. Too often I find when I want to go to bed that there is a pile of clean washing in my way, or a scatter of books and jackets and assorted stuff I’ve left there through the day, and I have to force my tired brain to decide where to put it all.

I might adopt “turning down the bed” in a spirit of sleep hygiene/self-care rather than a household task.

CMOTDibbler Fri 12-Apr-19 10:02:37

BuzzPeak, I agree. I honestly can't see the point of putting stuff on the bed that you don't sit on during the day (or look at - if you live in a studio flat/bedsit I get that you would want to make it more decorative or covered up) that you then have to take off it again to go to bed. Just seems like making work for yourself

BuzzPeakWankBobbly Fri 12-Apr-19 09:31:12

Turning down the beds involves removing decorative pillows, scatter cushions & throw

Ah. I see now.
See whereas you think they make a bed, I think they are awful fussy things and much prefer the clean lines of a simple duvet and plump pillows (sleeping not decorative, kind). If I CBA, I'll add a flat sheet too.

A throw is only used if it is functional, for warmth.

managedmis Fri 12-Apr-19 01:34:08

and I have just set feminism back 50 years

^^

grin for that comment and your username, potato City

managedmis Fri 12-Apr-19 01:32:38

No-one has answered my rhubarb question....

Pegging out? That's a Northerners expression

ScienceIsTruth Fri 12-Apr-19 00:43:30

I also love organising my food tins, etc, by date and moving the new ones to the back. They all get stacked neatly in rows. It looks lovely and I can tell you exactly where anything is in all of my cupboards, fridge and freezers.
Eg, bacon: freezer 2 shelf 3 left-hand side at the front. Baked beans: in the pantry, 2nd shelf along, 3rd shelf down, 2 rows from the left.

I'm happy just thinking about it, grinblush especially as I know it needs reorganizing as I'm going to change things around so it all fits better.

ChopinIn10Minuets Fri 12-Apr-19 00:15:03

I was going to say none of the above, like so many others grin but Astonishing the stainless steel saucepans and scrubbing tannin stains off teapots and mugs is moderately satisfying I suppose.

BitOfFun Fri 12-Apr-19 00:14:41

Zoflora's pet safety advice. Looks ok.

ScienceIsTruth Fri 12-Apr-19 00:04:51

I'll happily spend hours food shopping though. I love it and I'll read every packet, etc. I love finding bargains too.

Again, it's only my health problems that hold me back as pushing the trolley causes my pain levels to rise so I have to pace myself. Usually involves stopping for a cuppa at their cafe before driving home.

SynchroSwimmer Fri 12-Apr-19 00:01:10

Cutting the grass...
Neat military lines
Especially for Xmas time - when it doesnt even need doing.

ScienceIsTruth Fri 12-Apr-19 00:01:00

My least favourite chore is cleaning windows or glass as the smears drive me crazy. I can't stop until they're all gone and I haven't figured out a foolproof method yet, so it takes me bloody hours!

ScienceIsTruth Thu 11-Apr-19 23:58:23

Oh, I also love organising/cleaning the fridge and freezer. Looks fab when it's finished (I actually took photos this time to show the dh/dc, lol).

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Thu 11-Apr-19 23:57:17

Talking of oven cleaning I used Mr Muscle (caustic soda) on the oven door and blimey it worked a miracle. The stuck on grease just slid off. And then later I used Blitz that Mould on a couple of black patches on the ceiling and they came off too. It was a good day smile (and I have just set feminism back 50 years)

ScienceIsTruth Thu 11-Apr-19 23:54:40

I like cleaning the kitchen and general tidying up/putting things away so rooms look tidy.
I also really like scrubbing tiled floors and vacuuming, but I can't do it very well anymore as I've got arthritis.

Actually, most tasks give me a glow and a great deal of satisfaction blush. I'm very sad.

I'd actually make a great cleaner if my health wasn't so shit, and I'd really enjoy it.
Probably wouldn't make much money though as I'm a perfectionist and can spend hours on one task, making sure it's perfect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »