Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to Ask What Daily Chores/Errands Secretly Give You A Thrill?? :-)

(185 Posts)
HugoBearsMummy Wed 10-Apr-19 17:50:24

I'll go first!

Replenishing my baby changing bag at the end of the day- ie. filling with new nappies, wipes, topping up my formula powder pot, fresh Muslin cloth & bib all ready for the next day

Tidying the living room, plumping pillows etc before I go to bed so it's nice and tidy in the morning

This one's got to be popular- emptying the washing basket 🧺 --for all of five minutes!!
--
Turning down the beds and shutting the curtains making the bedrooms all cosy for night time

I know I know- I'm very sad! Would love to hear other people's! ....

AuntieDolly Wed 10-Apr-19 17:52:19

I like pegging out!

sleepstealer Wed 10-Apr-19 17:54:36

I love pegging washing out too.

AfterSchoolWorry Wed 10-Apr-19 17:56:54

I hate it all. All of it! blush

Exhausted18 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:57:22

You're weird OP, no one likes emptying the washing basket, worst job ever grin

(I do love running the spray mop over the kitchen floor after the dog has run through on a wet, muddy day though - satisfying smile)

Slicedpineapple Wed 10-Apr-19 17:57:48

Hoovering. Nothing nice looking at a freshly hovered carpet whilst it stays like that for about 5 minutes.

screamifyouwant Wed 10-Apr-19 17:58:10

Pegging washing out , seeing it on the line and when all dry and folded I get a sense of achievement.
I also get a bit of a thrill when my kitchen all clean .

Slicedpineapple Wed 10-Apr-19 17:58:14

*nothing like
*hoovering

MissPollyHadADolly19 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:58:27

Putting zoflora in the sink with boiling water before bed so when I wake up the house smells beautiful!

YouTheCat Wed 10-Apr-19 17:58:56

I agree with AfterSchoolWorry. Hate it with a passion.

Slicedpineapple Wed 10-Apr-19 17:59:42

And cleaning my loo!!!

DuggeesWoggle Wed 10-Apr-19 18:01:30

I'm with AfterSchool. It's all dull as shit. Genuinely trying to think of a single daily task that fills me with joy or thrills and nope can't think of anything.

They don't call them chores for nothing!

vampirethriller Wed 10-Apr-19 18:03:21

I like vacuuming. And I love buying new fabric conditioner and smelling them all before I pick one.

64sNewName Wed 10-Apr-19 18:07:05

I wouldn’t say any of them thrill me confused Mild satisfaction maybe, but it really depends on mood and energy levels...

Bumble1830 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:12:08

Has to be hoovering and hanging the washing out 😁
I think I love hoovering because its the last thing to do after I've cleaned every where

SickOfThePig Wed 10-Apr-19 18:13:17

May be something random like hoovering up spilt flour.
Otherwise, nothing. At all.
However, I will happily go outside and spend hours doing horse related drudgery.

LetsDialDownTheIanPaisley Wed 10-Apr-19 18:22:41

Turning the dishwasher on. Heaven

BeerandBiscuits Wed 10-Apr-19 18:23:09

Nothing about housework gives me a thrill, bores me to tears. I do as little as I can get away with.
Love gardening though and would spend all day digging, weeding and generally pottering about if I could.

FriarTuck Wed 10-Apr-19 18:24:11

I do love running the spray mop over the kitchen floor
Is it wrong that I got a little thrill over the thought of a spray mop? blush (heads off to Amazon to look up spray mops)

HeathRobinson Wed 10-Apr-19 18:24:11

Absolutely none.

Plump82 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:25:26

Shining my bathroom taps!!

SuddenlyISee Wed 10-Apr-19 18:27:17

@MissPollyHadADolly19 does that really work? How much Zoflora/water?

CalamityJune Wed 10-Apr-19 18:33:03

Cleaning the sinks and making them all sparkly

twocats335 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:40:15

I'm trying the zoflora one - thanks Missdolly!

I do get a sense of satisfaction when all the breakfast stuff is cleared away and the kitchen is nice and tidy before we all leave for work/school.

PrivateIsles Wed 10-Apr-19 18:40:20

I once hoovered up some Weetabix crumbs from the back of a cupboard with one of those little cordless Hoovers. That was quite satisfying. But the rest of it, dull as dishwater and in no way thrilling!!

I like cooking, but only things you can choose nice ingredients for and take your time over, not treadmill, rushed midweek meals...

Exhausted18 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:40:39

@FriarTuck

wink

www.littlewoods.com/addis-spray-mop-with-microfibre-flat-head/1600131418.prd?_requestid=210079&Ntt=spray%20mop

I got mine recently, love it. The novelty clearly hasn't worn off.

MissPollyHadADolly19 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:42:30

Yes I find if I put some in my bathroom sink and kitchen sink then in the morning everything smells fresh. Usually a kettle full of water + a little hot water then 2 caps full of zoflora. Sometimes I'll get carried away and use almost half a bottle (the small size) grin but it's well worth it, especially as we have an indoor cat and the litter tray can end up stinking in the morning!

Dumplingfan Wed 10-Apr-19 18:43:15

Pegging out, and also food shopping. I genuinely get quite excited by the prospect. blush

Dumplingfan Wed 10-Apr-19 18:43:38

Pegging our, and also food shopping. I genuinely get quite excited by the prospect. blush

sackrifice Wed 10-Apr-19 18:45:19

Mowing the lawn is like hoovering the garden isn't it? I love that.

LaurieMarlow Wed 10-Apr-19 18:47:06

I wouldn’t say it thrills me, but I actually like cleaning the bathroom compared to other tasks.

Nice and straightforward. Spray stuff, scrub, watch it sparkle.

Winterfellismyhome Wed 10-Apr-19 18:47:29

The food shop because i like using the little scanner gun and can avoid all human interaction smile

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 10-Apr-19 18:57:25

Absolutely nothing you madman.

Rockmysocks Wed 10-Apr-19 19:08:13

Finding a beautiful new fabric conditioner makes me excited to put a wash on.

Love smelling washing dried on the line.

Love having shower, hairwash, getting legs and underarms smooth, body lotion, fresh pyjamas then getting into a freshly made bed.

Jellyfloodagain Wed 10-Apr-19 19:15:35

The only thing that gives me any satisfaction is pegging the washing out and then standing in the kitchen doorway watching it for a while. I love to see a line full of washing all correctly hung up in size order.

DuggeesWoggle Wed 10-Apr-19 19:18:33

I quite like the food shop, didn't realise that counted. Never gets any cheaper and we seem to get through the food at a rate of knots. DS is only 3, dread to think what it will cost when he's 15!

MissPollyHadADolly19 Wed 10-Apr-19 19:29:34

@rockmysocks fabric conditioner is one of my guilty pleasures - even more so when my fave is on sale!

Treezylover Wed 10-Apr-19 19:34:08

Mopping with a steam mop. Utterly love it.

EjectorCrab Wed 10-Apr-19 19:39:17

I like bringing washing in from the washing line and folding it.
I like ironing bedding.
I like watering my houseplants.

ShitAtScarbble Wed 10-Apr-19 19:43:28

You are not my people.

<<leaves thread>>

😂😂

Nodancingshoes Wed 10-Apr-19 19:43:33

Pegging out makes me stupidly happy!

InsertFunnyUsername Wed 10-Apr-19 19:59:30

Absolutely fuck all.

Science9 Wed 10-Apr-19 20:03:29

Meal planning and then ordering the food shop online

MrsSeanBakedBean Wed 10-Apr-19 20:08:57

I love cleaning loos. Even if the rest of the housework lapses a lot bit, the loos are always sparkling.

I am weird, mind you.

HugoBearsMummy Wed 10-Apr-19 20:10:23

@DianaPrincessOfThemyscira mad lady 

@MissPollyHadADolly19 I'm stealing the Zoflora trick- thank you!

HugoBearsMummy Wed 10-Apr-19 20:11:40

@Rockmysocks yes yes to new fabric softener. I love taking massive sniffs of washing fresh out the machine lol 😂

NotFatTransslender Wed 10-Apr-19 20:11:55

I get a little twinge when I do mopping but unfortunately I need to hoover first which I hate!

Best case scenario - cleaning lady comes and hoovers, does a slightly shit job of mopping so I get to remop the already clean floor. Bliss!

willstarttomorrow Wed 10-Apr-19 20:12:21

I went to the tip the other weekend and it was amazing! Pulled up and as it was busy loads of happy, friendly employees just took things to the relevant skip as I unloaded. Just back from taking DD skiing and totally skint so plan a massive house clear out and tip run this weekend as nothing in the budget for activities.

TowelNumber42 Wed 10-Apr-19 20:12:27

Kitchen counters right after they've been wiped down are very satisfying.

Meretricious Wed 10-Apr-19 20:15:42

You are just mad.

I like laying the fire...and gardening. All else is strife.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Wed 10-Apr-19 21:05:40

I get disappointed when I've no weeding left to do.

Indoor stuff can feck off, generally.

buzzbobbly Wed 10-Apr-19 21:17:30

Turning down the beds?

You mean that thing whereby you fold a corner of the duvet back?

Why? Beddee still has to 'finish' folding it back so it's not even adding anything, apart from being totally pointless!

buzzbobbly Wed 10-Apr-19 21:19:35

I like getting all the dishes done and turning a bombsite kitchen into a clean one.

But drying up can fuck off. It'll dry itself quick enough without me intervening. I also hate putting away.

Blompitude Wed 10-Apr-19 21:20:36

I find taking out the rubbish very satisfying.

AmICrazyorWhat2 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:27:32

Cleaning the kitchen and enjoying the results for a few hours until it gets messy again.

Folding clean clothes in my basement while watching or listening to something on a tablet. I'm essentially hiding from my family while doing a chore. grin They know this and like to come down and pester me!

HugoBearsMummy Wed 10-Apr-19 22:34:08

@buzzbobbly yes as in pulling the duvet back, removing the scatter cushions & throw etc ... I just like it all prepared grini have acknowledged I'm sad in my OP lol

I also like emptying the dishwasher and having nothing else waiting to go in it- all dishes clean & packed away

I'm going against the grain here though as I detest pegging washing out & also bringing it in & folding it / putting it away sad

Deadlysinner Wed 10-Apr-19 22:54:20

My dad used to stress hoover! It made no sense to me but now I can see the satisfaction in a nice clean carpet when the rest of the world is crazy and difficult to control!

Lllot5 Wed 10-Apr-19 23:34:28

I like doing laundry. Seeing it all pegged out out on the line very satisfying.

Yubaba Wed 10-Apr-19 23:41:32

Nothing, I hate all housework equally.
I do love a clean sparkling bathroom though so I grudgingly clean it just to get the shine, I don’t enjoy it though.

Planetian Thu 11-Apr-19 00:27:22

I can’t for the life of me understand how so many of you enjoy pegging out the washing?! I loathed it so much as a child/teen that I have never, ever done it in my adult life and just tumble dry everything.

It’s such a damn chore - so finicky and tedious and unless you live in Australia it will probably rain and you have to remember to take it in and you’ll have to make a mad dash to get it before it’s soaked and you have to re-wash... on and on the inconvenience goes... HOW can anyone enjoy this?!

GlitterPixie Thu 11-Apr-19 00:34:07

I LOVE pairing up all the odd socks. I let them build up for ages so I have a nice satisfying pile to do all together

AutumnCrow Thu 11-Apr-19 00:35:57

If I put Zoflora in my sinks overnight my cats would be very poorly or very dead.

I loathe all forms of housework and I don't really know why. I like cooking though.

FurrySlipperBoots Thu 11-Apr-19 00:43:04

Using my Dyson stick vacuum on my bedroom carpet. It's deep pile so comes up in professional stripes, and it's very satisfying emptying the vacuum bin afterwards and seeing how the hair and dust you didn't even realise was there has been removed. Plus the battery only lasts about 6 minutes, which is long enough to do a thorough job but not long enough to get tedious, and then there's the delicious feeling of knowing it'll take 2 hours to recharge so I'm not able to get on with any more cleaning, and will simply be forced to sit down with my laptop instead. grin

junebirthdaygirl Thu 11-Apr-19 00:47:05

Oh l was coming on to say about the socks. I practically do a little dance when l manage to reconcile one with its mate that l thought was long gone.
And stress cleaning the kitchen sink. I shine it to an inch of its life if l am stressed.

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Thu 11-Apr-19 07:36:46

I love getting all the dinner ingredients prepped and ready to cook. I put the baby in the sling about 17.30 and chop all my vegetables / herbs ets and put everything neatly in it's own little bowl or on a spoon and lay it out on the chopping board ready to cook. Then I do the baby's bath and bedtime and when I come down my husband is home and dinner's all prepped so it's a pleasure to cook. It's such a nice bit of day.

Also putting on fresh bedding.

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Thu 11-Apr-19 07:40:48

Oh I also love meal planning and doing the online shop then unpacking it all neatly into the fridge 😂

isntthatalwaystheway Thu 11-Apr-19 07:45:48

Putting Food Shopping away into the Fridge! I love standing back after and admiring how organised it is Until DH comes Home grin

missmouse101 Thu 11-Apr-19 07:48:31

I love mopping! Hot, fragrant water swabbed all over, windows open to help them dry and the wonderful tipping all the dirty water away in the white sink so I can see the grubbiness going! I also love hanging out washing and completely agree with OP about changing bag orderliness!

Luglio Thu 11-Apr-19 07:48:46

I loathe and detest all housework.

Fortunately, my OH loves it. I must remember to ask him later what his favourite chore is. I reckon he loves scrubbing grout.

Shadycorner Thu 11-Apr-19 07:51:33

I wish I liked any of it!
(But my house is very difficult in many ways.)
Doing the laundry is ok I suppose!

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Thu 11-Apr-19 07:57:29

If it counts I love supermarket shopping,online or in person.Ive actually been to asda,morrisons and Tesco in one day before.blush

fleshmarketclose Thu 11-Apr-19 07:58:50

I like pegging washing out as well but probably my greatest thrill has to be sitting with a cuppa watching the robovac do all the floors.

Shelbybear Thu 11-Apr-19 08:02:59

Absolutely nothing! Wish I did love it then my house wld be sparkling, although I'd never get a second to myself.

Wherearemyminions Thu 11-Apr-19 08:08:36

Sitting with a coffee watching Derek (robot mop) scoot about making the floors all shiny. Best purchase ever. I luffs my Derek. All hard floors downstairs here and he can even do a dry sweep. Also enjoy watching the cat sitting on the stairs giving Derek evil looks grin

DurhamDurham Thu 11-Apr-19 08:11:23

Hanging out laundry, especially before work. I'm always smugly pleased with myself when I manage this.

Plumping up the cushions and folding throws so that it's tidy for the next day.

An empty laundry basket is a think of beauty. It only happens once in a blue moon.

Siameasy Thu 11-Apr-19 08:37:56

I love it when something that’s been running low for ages runs out and I can put the container in the recycling
I like putting a wash on with a colour catcher in and looking at the colour catcher after
I get a thrill moving furniture and seeing the marks on the carpet
Hoovering and looking at all the lint that’s been collected
I adore having a rummage and throwing things away/putting in charity shop bag

ThreePoints Thu 11-Apr-19 08:41:20

Our wicker laundry bin has a cotton liner.
On the occasions when it's finally empty, I wash the liner as well. That's satisfying.

When all the housework is done, I love to go from room to room and admire the tidiness.

And yes to pegging out. It does have to be in a certain order though, and all matching pegs <runs off to get a life>.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 11-Apr-19 08:47:00

Ironing. I hate it when I get behind, but there's something so satisfying that for every item you do, you can see the pile going down and shirts/blouses look so much better.

Then there's the added bonus that when you change the beds it's lovely and neat. smile

GetOffTheTableMabel Thu 11-Apr-19 08:54:17

Loading the dishwasher. Not unloading it - that’s dull, but looking at a huge pile of dirty dishes and then making them all fit in is weirdly satisfying. I think it’s the smug knowledge that I can get more in there than DH. Also, if he loads it really full, at least a quarter of the stuff in it will still be dirty afterwards, because he stacks things over each other and they don’t get washed properly.
He irons twice as fast and twice as well as me though. I suck at ironing.

Coldilox Thu 11-Apr-19 08:57:37

Pairing up clean socks

EjectorCrab Thu 11-Apr-19 09:10:39

@ThreePoints When all the housework is done, I love to go from room to room and admire the tidiness.

I bloody love doing this too.

LesLavandes Thu 11-Apr-19 09:13:42

Where do you buy Zoflora? I have tried Ocado, Lidl and Pound Shop. They don't seem to stock it. Thank you!

Teddy1970 Thu 11-Apr-19 09:18:20

Mine is hoovering, I love the way the it grips so hard it leaves track marks in the carpet, it's not a grey velour type carpet either, just a regular cream one! Very satisfying!

Holidayshopping Thu 11-Apr-19 09:19:05

Turning down the beds?

This one made me think as well-I don’t do this at all and never have! I just ‘open’ the duvet and get into it!

I don’t actually enjoy ‘doing’ most of these things but do like some of them insane amount when they are actually done (ie it could be anyone that did them-the task itself is it pleasurable!)

seeing washing on the line
Seeing a freshly mown lawn
Freshly painted walls (or woodwork or anything I particularly like not actually having to have done the painting)
Clean bathroom

I think I need a cleaner!

MinesaPinot Thu 11-Apr-19 09:21:31

I love it when I get a chance to clean properly, and the house looks all shiny and sparkling. That doesn't happen very often though (usually when people are coming to visit) so more often it's a quick flick round with a duster and the hoover. Similarly getting a line of washing out when it's proper drying weather fills me with joy.

I loathe cleaning the bathroom (and it shows sadly) but in my defence all the grouting needs redoing and it is impossible to get behind the bath taps so it's yukky and grungy all round there.

Me and DH both love ironing though. So long as there's sport on, particularly the Sunday football, I can park him with the ironing basket in front of the telly and he's happy. Similarly I can stick a film on and carry on ironing for hours.

barryfromclareisfit Thu 11-Apr-19 09:22:02

Shining my sink.
Folding freshly washed and dried towels.
Putting fresh bed linen on the beds.

Jinglejanglefish Thu 11-Apr-19 09:28:08

Also surprised by turning down the beds! I will never understand why people cover their bed in various cushions and blankets only to remove them to sleep.

I like laundry and loading/unloading the dishwasher. Dirty things going in a machine and coming out clean with minimal effort from me.

Aprillygirl Thu 11-Apr-19 09:35:17

Pegging the washing out on a warm day. I love watching it flapping in the wind. I hate ironing it all though so I don't lol.

MissPollyHadADolly19 Thu 11-Apr-19 09:38:46

@Leslevandes I get mine from B&M, asda, savers or Wilkos. Adsa is hit or miss though as they hardly restock!

Also PP my cats have never and probably never would go near anything that remotely reminds them of being bathed, let alone stick their heads in! grin I think the smell puts them off anyway.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 11-Apr-19 09:43:53

Zo

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 11-Apr-19 09:44:57

Posted too soon! Sorry. Apparently zoflora is toxic to cats. I don't use it anymore after reading this.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 11-Apr-19 09:45:47

I think even the fumes are toxic.

inneedofaholidaybigtime Thu 11-Apr-19 09:46:49

Choosing and getting out my baby's food ready for the next day! I like coming up with nice little combinations from my lovingly prepared ice cube selection in the freezer! Of course most of it gets wasted when it comes to meal times grin

HolyForkingShirt Thu 11-Apr-19 09:50:23

I love hanging up washing. Actually love it! It's so relaxing.

BlindAssassin1 Thu 11-Apr-19 09:56:50

Clearing out a cupboard, the fridge, wardrobe etc, so satisfying to make some room and create orderliness. Particularly love getting rid of all excess packaging on food products.

Doesn't last long though before a DC comes home with an armful of very important school work that must never be thrown away, or DP refuses to part with clothing he hasn't worn for 7 years.

Boboo18 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:00:08

I absolutely love soaking my kitchen sponges in Zoflora over night so they smell gorgeous. In fact i think i use zoflora for everything --im a but obsessed, especially the mountain air fragranced one--grin

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Thu 11-Apr-19 10:03:58

I like doing laundry and ironing. I even love handwashing! Emptying a laundry basket is also immensely satisfying.

Love doing my shopping list, going shopping and putting it away- another satisfying one. I also like looking at my bed nicely made each morning, bins just I've emptied them and put a fresh bag in and stacked tuppaware I've just filled with a batch cook.

Housemate & I both love emptying the filter and the water container on her tumble dryer.

HBStowe Thu 11-Apr-19 10:39:42

I like cif-ing the hob. Smells lovely and always looks so shiny and nice after. I also like polishing wood to a nice shine.

Sewrainbow Thu 11-Apr-19 10:45:15

Hanging washing out, especially on a lovely sunny or windy day so I can get loads done. grin

Sewrainbow Thu 11-Apr-19 10:46:33

Ooh and de linting tumble dryer! And putting a long used container finally in recycling!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »