Talk

Advanced search

AIBU getting would up about MLMs?

(2 Posts)
DelilahfromDenmark Wed 10-Apr-19 16:55:43

I also listened to that Podcast. I found it shocking especially as they exploit some fairly vulnerable people who think mlm ‘s will change their lives.
Anecdotally, I had a cleaner for a while who told me that he was setting up a cleaning company and that he was going to bring some of his company’s fab products as they were better than the fairly standard products I usually bought in the supermarket. Charged me around £100 for 5 or 6 bottles of something or other (and a free toothpaste!). After listening to said podcast I checked the one remaining bottle left (cleaner was well gone at this point) and only then did I see that it was Amway and I’d been stealthily suckered in.

boylovesmeerkats Wed 10-Apr-19 16:24:55

Just listened to US podcast 'The Dream' and I can't believe that many of us end up lining the pockets of these companies. I didn't even think I was a captive audience but I have Usborne books, some other mlm kids books, temple spa, arbonne dotted around the house. My uncle has done Amway forever. They all make a packet from shady claims, basically making nearly all their profits from the people signing up to actually make money from them. I even sold Usborne books myself for a few months before realising that the commission was a myth. I guess easy to think no harm in a few quid on something to help a friend, or having a gamble on a starter pack but these people (company owners rather than sellers) are laughing all the way to the bank and hugely politically influential. Am I over thinking this? Think they should be much more regulated with their earnings claims.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »