Talk

Advanced search

Barking dog

(8 Posts)
downcasteyes Wed 10-Apr-19 14:12:08

A neighbour who lives in the next road has taken on a large dog - I think it's a boxer. The dog appears to be left to its own devices in their concrete yard all day and all night. It suddenly starts barking in a way that really carries for lengthy times in the middle of the night - I feel sorry for the poor beast, to be honest.

At the moment, it's annoying but endurable as windows are shut, but once we get to the summer it's going to be murder. I'm not the only neighbour who is bothered, but I don't think anyone has yet had a word. Clearly we need to do so and I will get onto this (promise).

However, I was wondering what the official position is on dog noise if no action is forthcoming (and I doubt it will be, to be honest). Can we report to the council as noise nuisance if the neighbour refuses to take action?

Thesuzle Wed 10-Apr-19 14:14:49

Report to RSPCA

Poppyfr33 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:15:35

Yes you can report as noise nuisance

ScreamScreamIceCream Wed 10-Apr-19 14:16:22

Don't report to RSPCA but report as a noise nuisance if it's barking at night.

Bookworm4 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:18:06

Local Dog Warden, RSPCA are useless they barely come out for seriously injured/neglected animals.

MrBobLoblaw Wed 10-Apr-19 14:19:56

I had a problem with this OP. I found a printable leaflet thing that you can post through your neighbours door. Something like 'you may not know, but your dog is barking whilst you're out and here's how you can help'. I wasn't sure whether it would actually make a difference and obviously it was anonymous so the neighbour didn't know it was me. But he obviously really took it on board as I rarely heard the dog after that.
Have you said anything to the neighbour?

downcasteyes Wed 10-Apr-19 16:33:54

That's a brilliant idea Bobloblaw - I'll see if I can find it!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Nesssie Wed 10-Apr-19 16:39:04

Yes, this would be investigated by the council as a statutory noise nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. It can be a long winded process, but they will contact the owner and say they are investigation, which may be enough to get the owner to take action.

Does the owner know about the barking? If its occurring whilst they are out, then they may not know the extent of the problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: