Talk

Advanced search

Anon. members - Forums open to court action??

(758 Posts)
justasking111 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:47:25

Was quite shocked to see this. Will this be a test case? Mumsnet is such a tame well run site compared to the comments I see in the online press. Is the writing on the wall for free (cough) speech or is it a culling of trolling. Personally I think that something needs to be done, some folk have no filter or are just plain nasty.

news.yahoo.com/transgender-activist-wins-court-ruling-forcing-parenting-website-reveal-identity-alleged-online-abuser-121317596.html

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Wed 10-Apr-19 20:33:57

It can be. Or light relief. Or sometimes threads are just the honey for the wasps.

titchy Wed 10-Apr-19 20:34:33

I don't think you can reasonably use the UAE's laws as an example... they're not exactly similar to the U.K.

The case in the OP isn't exactly ground breaking. The comments posted haven't been found to be criminal. In fact they're the inconvenient truth.

justasking111 Wed 10-Apr-19 20:42:00

Titchy some form of law like this could be adapted to the UK. Friends in Thailand and China are very careful what they say.

I have seen folk sharing nasty political stuff of all sorts on FB which reading this case could get them into trouble if they ever visited the UAE because of extraterrestial and retrospective law.

justarandomtricycle Wed 10-Apr-19 20:54:56

"They're not cracking down on free speech, they're cracking down on [speech they have made a] crime"

Amazing logic there.

We're all fucked. We need a war or something.

SlipperyLizard Wed 10-Apr-19 20:55:01

My understanding is that the “lawyer” in question wishes to sue (for defamation) someone who posted on mumsnet (or “nuttersnet” as they so charmingly refer to this site). In order to do so, they need to know who that person is.

Quite rightly, MNHQ won’t release any details unless ordered to do so by a court. The lawyer has got a court order requiring MNHQ to disclose the details held about the poster.

That’s all. This isn’t some important ruling, it is a court order to disclose information. It isn’t a test case. The lawyer has not “won” - MMHQ didn’t contest the application, presumably because (as is their stated policy) the poster did not require them to.

Why didn’t the poster want them to contest the application? Because they had given false details on registration, so have not much to fear from them being disclosed.

Even if the poster had used genuine details, the lawyer would still need to bring a legal claim for defamation - only if they won that could they genuinely claim a victory.

Oh, and on the wider point - comparing laws in the UK to countries that don’t respect human rights is fanciful.

RedDogsBeg Wed 10-Apr-19 21:03:31

There is no evidence that the person whose details were requested from MN has committed any crime.

So love the presumption of innocence shown by some on here.

It is also interesting, OP, how details can be sought from MN regarding this, but, nothing can be done except a collective wringing of hands about all the truly hideous and outright criminal content across Social Media generally.

The case you refer to in your post related to someone who was regularly putting very detrimental comments on Social Media platforms about the McCanns, the person was identified (not sure how) and doorstepped by a Sky News reporter live on TV. A couple of days later the person committed suicide.

sackrifice Wed 10-Apr-19 21:14:40

* Some of the stuff said here is, quite frankly, vile. And yes it is transphobic and a hate crime no matter what you all argue*

Can you link to some of this 'stuff'. Ta.

sackrifice Wed 10-Apr-19 21:16:30

There is no evidence that the person whose details were requested from MN has committed any crime

I know right, linking to stuff available in public documents such as criminal proceedings is not a crime. Yet.

Whynham Wed 10-Apr-19 21:18:53

Mumsnet can only provide the name, address and DOB if you've provided it to them.

justasking111 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:19:30

Reddog. Not wringing my hands here.

Social media in the States exploded with Trump getting in, this has spread like a plague into many other areas of discontent both there and in the UK. Politicians are getting death threats over brexit. That is beyond my ken. I wonder what German, French social media is like these days?

If social media sites, the press, forums, cannot regulate themselves will it be taken out of their hands?

justasking111 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:20:43

sackrifice, try the feminism boards.

MorningsEleven Wed 10-Apr-19 21:22:06

@MorningsEleven you've missed some words in your post. English not your first language?

How fucking rude? I'm Scottish, it's a fairly common way of speaking and writing. I'll forgive your ignorance.

Batfurger Wed 10-Apr-19 21:32:33

@MorningsEleven meh, no it's not, it's idle. I'll forgive your poor syntax, you must be distracted.

justasking111 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:43:04

Batfurger if you have quite finished, can we get back to the topic.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 10-Apr-19 22:21:03

TRAs have the money to bring nuisance cases, part of their organised intimidation to shut down women
So we would be wise never to give real name / contact details when joining a social media site

Best to take this precaution on SM anway, as TRA are not the only danger, legally & physically, that women face online

re MN being a "hotbed of transphobia":
To most TRAs, it is a hate crime and transphobic to say that transwomen are men
That seems why they get so angry that MNHQ allow such statements to stand -

However, it is a biological fact that people cannot change sex, cannot change their chromosones
and it is not against the law to say this

It would be very strange if a parenting site banned factually correct posts about male and female biology

sackrifice Wed 10-Apr-19 22:24:18

sackrifice, try the feminism boards

I am on there regularly, and rest assured actual transphobia is deleted swifty. I was hoping that the poster who stated that vile stuff was being posted to link to it, to back up their assertions. Unless it is bullshit of course.

justasking111 Wed 10-Apr-19 22:34:28

Bigchoc, deep pockets are available to the rich and famous as well as political groups. Recently the Royal Family have endured some pretty vile stuff. I wonder if they will take action against the worst offenders. Sportsmen and women also seem to be taken as fair game by a certain type of sports fan.

Meandwinealone Wed 10-Apr-19 22:55:46

What did this person actually say? And how is it criminal to deadname someone?
I mean I am all for everyone being equal and happy and chilled. But I do think this is a little bit mad.

keepforgettingmyusername Wed 10-Apr-19 23:06:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NuclearReactor Wed 10-Apr-19 23:08:48

Don't worry users!!! If someone decides to take you to court for saying something which they deem as 'hate crime' online just do what my vile abusive ex partner did when he sent me hundreds of sick, threatening messages. Just say "I didn't do it, someone must have got onto my account" and you'll be let off!

Unless of course the police treat transwomen more favourably than women?

RedDogsBeg Wed 10-Apr-19 23:14:02

justasking I wasn't referring to you personally when I said 'collective hand wringing' I was referring to the so-called powers that be - politicians, the police and legal system, social media owners and shareholders, etc., etc., who when pulled up about blatantly criminal content just whinge and cry "Oh it's so terrible but we just can't do anything."

LaurieFairyCake Wed 10-Apr-19 23:18:57

Can I just check that the Hayden person is biologically male?

titchy Wed 10-Apr-19 23:21:55

Yes Laurie, male with a GRC apparently.

justarandomtricycle Wed 10-Apr-19 23:22:40

@NuclearReactor

We've gone right past a society where women's rights and interests can be discussed freely and openly, and the wrongs of the past perhaps addressed, to one where even asking questions like your last sentence approach criminal speech. Do not pass go, do not collect £200.

It's a joke, and honestly the people who will applaud this sort of thing as if it's a good thing are selling our rights and freedoms a bit bloody cheaply. It's stupid, it's damaging, it's vandalistic.

GeordieGenes Wed 10-Apr-19 23:24:30

I haven't seen any transphobia on MN. Could someone point out a specific example and link to it please? I will help you report it and get it deleted. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »