Talk

Advanced search

About neighbours scaffold

(18 Posts)
whiteteeth04 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:35:58

I live in a back to back end terrace. Neighbour behind has the driveway and I have access to the side of the house.

I've just come home to find a huge scaffold erected in the driveway which looks right into my bedroom window. It's a big window, so they can literally see everything.

Is this allowed?! Seems very invasive.

NorthernLurker Wed 10-Apr-19 12:37:47

It's temporary and on their land. Draw your curtains. How else would they get their roof done?

bellinisurge Wed 10-Apr-19 12:39:38

Who is looking in your bedroom? Or are they just getting up to the roof or wherever to work on it. Which might take them past a spot which means a line of sight to your room. Before they move on.
Close your curtains if it bothers you. Won't be there long.

whiteteeth04 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:40:26

No the scaffold platform is right outside the window with the ladder my side.

bellinisurge Wed 10-Apr-19 12:42:16

Again, who is looking in your room? Close the curtains. It won't be up that long.
Speak to your neighbour.

PutyourtoponTrevor Wed 10-Apr-19 12:43:08

They should have given you some notice, any decent neighbour would, and hopefully their access steps aren't outside your window and are on the side of the scaffold

cabcab Wed 10-Apr-19 12:43:48

So how should they get the work they need done if they don't erect a scaffold? Do you actually think that the builders have deliberately put the scaffold up with the ladder your side so they can look in your window?

You mane need to live in a detached house far away from everyone. Terraced houses will have these issues.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 10-Apr-19 12:43:58

If the platform is right outside your upstairs window, it's a security risk

whiteteeth04 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:47:02

The platform is right outside the window. The access steps are on my side of the boundary. It's a huge window that you can step into but on the third storey so usually not a security risk at all.

UCOinanOCG Wed 10-Apr-19 12:47:44

I would be annoyed by that. It would have been common courtesy for your neighbours to inform you of this and let you know how long it will be up. Is the scaffolding on your land?

bellinisurge Wed 10-Apr-19 12:48:19

It would have been better to tell you. But it's a terraced house. Space is tight. What else could they do?

PutyourtoponTrevor Wed 10-Apr-19 12:48:25

No need whatsoever for the snarky responses, I wouldn't be happy about this as I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't be.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 10-Apr-19 12:51:58

I wouldn't be happy, I would be worried about the security risk and I wouldn't be too impressed with the access being on my side of the boundary either.

wowfudge Wed 10-Apr-19 12:52:57

I wouldn't be happy at all. Nothing should be on your land without your permission or a court order (you'd want to avoid that though) and yes, it's an obvious security risk. Chances are the neighbour didn't realise quite what it would entail. I'd have a word about the security aspect and make sure the builders remove the ladders at the end of the day.

whiteteeth04 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:54:40

The house is empty and being renovated, neighbour not there so no idea what they're doing or when.

Pic for context. I presume they've already had a good look inside!

bellinisurge Wed 10-Apr-19 12:57:32

They should move the ladder.

NoonAim Wed 10-Apr-19 13:04:08

A decent neighbour would have informed you in advance. Ask them to have the ladder taken down at the end of every working day as it's a security risk.

sleepylittlebunnies Wed 10-Apr-19 13:09:52

I wouldn’t be happy about this. Last summer all the council houses in our area had their roofs redone. Usually a separate company supplies and puts up the scaffold. Then the roofers remove tiles and re-tile. I’m in a semi detached and the foreman came round and asked me to move the car off our drive so they could put the scaffold up as they didn’t want anything falling on it. It was my dad’s car which he’d SORN’d as he couldn’t drive for several months following an operation. So I explained and said it couldn’t go off the drive. Then I came home from a day out to find my NDN’s scaffold had been erected not on our land but across our upstairs windows front and back. Wouldn’t have been a problem but the metal frames prevented us from opening both bedroom’s windows which made it hot and stuffy and meant in the event of a fire we’d have been trapped. No security risk though as no one could have got in.

Luckily we were going on holiday for a fortnight so escaped a lot of the noise and mess but the scaffold was up for about 6 weeks in total. I really hope yours are in more of a hurry to take it down after they’ve finished.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »