Talk

Advanced search

To have scrambled eggs in a cage that aren't yellow rubber?

(51 Posts)
Gone2far Wed 10-Apr-19 12:33:41

Do cafes have to overcook scrambled eggs? Whenever I order them (even when I asked for them not to be overcooked) they are hard and bouncy. I.e overcooked. And I love nice se - barely cooked when they leave the kitchen so the residual heat finishes them off.

TiIIy Wed 10-Apr-19 13:44:25

Aw, I thought Scrambled Eggs in a Cage was something a bit posh. It'd probably have avocado involved somehow!

Thesuzle Wed 10-Apr-19 13:45:52

Holy hell Goodenough06. Poached are a mine field too, set in the middle, or watery whites. Cooked then dunked in ice water then heated through, even in a top london hotels they still bugger them up. And charge you £25 plus

PinkHeart5914 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:47:48

I think it’s becuase most cafe places do them in the microwave and imo they always then turn out like rubber!

Should be the law to only cook them in a saucepan, the proper way!

I don’t order scrammbled when out for this reason

Yanbu

LaurieMarlow Wed 10-Apr-19 13:48:48

Scrambled eggs need to be done at home. A cafe set up doesn't work for that kind of cooking.

Also, no need to worry about salmonella from eggs nowadays because of the lion stamp.

Usuallyinthemiddle Wed 10-Apr-19 13:49:56

I'm really sad that was a typo. I was looking forward to some potato string basket type thing. Please go back and make it all up do I can hear about this wonder! grin

Murinae Wed 10-Apr-19 13:53:40

I think most hotels use powdered scrambled eggs

Rockbird Wed 10-Apr-19 13:57:57

Oh no, I'm the opposite. Scrambled eggs sitting in their own dribble makes me heave. I like them well and truly scrambled with no residual water.

downcasteyes Wed 10-Apr-19 14:02:24

I deliberately overcook mine - the thought of chicken germs is worse than the bounciness IMO. I also find really undercooked scrambled eggs too much like the consistency of vomit to be enjoyable.

ContessaIsOnADietDammit Wed 10-Apr-19 14:04:22

I'm vegan and even I was agog about the eggs in cages grin

I used to love them with spicy tomatoes on a bed of couscous <sigh>

Ellenborough Wed 10-Apr-19 14:06:07

I think they should ask you how you like your scrambled eggs in the same way they ask you how you want your fried eggs, or your steak.

I don't like them to be too dry and rubbery but having them too loose, the way proper chefs always insist they should be, makes me want to heave. Especially if there are still snotty bits in there.

Winniethepee Wed 10-Apr-19 14:10:50

In France,one egg is un oeuf.

Winniethepee Wed 10-Apr-19 14:12:37

And snotty eggs should be put in cages.

Ellenborough Wed 10-Apr-19 14:14:44

Poached are a mine field too, set in the middle, or watery whites. Cooked then dunked in ice water then heated through, even in a top london hotels they still bugger them up.

I went to a restaurant (not in the UK) for breakfast once and ordered avocado on toast with wilted spinach and a poached egg.

The egg had been pre-cooked and dunked in the iced water, ready to reheated just before serving.

Except it never got to the second stage. I think it went straight from the iced water to my plate. shock It was FREEZING.

And to add insult to injury there was no spinach. When I asked why they just shrugged and said 'We've run out. But we gave you some cucumber instead.' as though that was a perfectly reasonable substitution with no explanation beforehand. confused

And they looked at me like I was being completely unreasonable when I said it was not acceptable.

DoSomethingBob Wed 10-Apr-19 14:26:19

I was staying in a hotel this weekend. The first day the scrambled eggs came out like lumpy custard <shudder> so the second morning I asked if they could be cooked a little more. They arrived having been fried until they were browner than the rosti. hmm I think the kitchen were just taking the piss.
(Also only here for the cage.)

happyhillock Wed 10-Apr-19 14:31:38

I've never had scrambled egg out, i enjoy scrambled eggs, a kipper and grilled tomato's mostly on a sunday morning.

Usuallyinthemiddle Wed 10-Apr-19 14:34:07

Chicken germs! I think my life has been ruined with that one phrase! grin

HavelockVetinari Wed 10-Apr-19 14:41:53

Free the eggs, free the eggs! <chants>

DOWN WITH CAGES!

Personally I'd prefer my eggs properly set (but not rubbery), which is a difficult thing to achieve. You need a bit of milk and lots of lovely butter.

HarryTheSteppenwolf Wed 10-Apr-19 14:48:59

I'd imagine the cages (cafés) are anxious to avoid any risk of food-borne infection. Making lightly cooked scrambled eggs for yourself is one thing; serving them to the public in a cage is quite another.

Current food safety regulations say lightly cooked eggs may be served to the public as long as they are UK-sourced and lion stamped (and from chickens, rather than other birds), but many café proprietors will remember the nineteen-nineties, when there was significant concern about pood-poisoning risks from undercooked eggs, and some will be using cheap eggs of questionable provenance that shouldn't be served lightly cooked.

HarryTheSteppenwolf Wed 10-Apr-19 14:50:51

food-poisoning, obviously

not "pood-poisoning"

stucknoue Wed 10-Apr-19 14:58:03

I only eat them at home for that reason, even my mum can't make them right!

Ellenborough Wed 10-Apr-19 15:09:27

I was in a hotel in Asia that had an egg station that claimed to do eggs any style. DH had had scrambled the day before and they seemed decent so I decided I'd like some. I stood in front of the cooking station and was told 'Sit down madam, we'll bring them to your table.'

What I actually got was an omelette that has been cut into a zillion tiny pieces with a knife and fork. hmm

GarthFunkel Wed 10-Apr-19 15:13:46

I thought this was a step up from those fried egg silicone moulds!

Eliza9919 Wed 10-Apr-19 15:55:01

@LakieLady Wed 10-Apr-19 13:13:11
Eliza, are you my DP? grin

He complains about all those things, and is incredibly particular about where his beans are placed. Mind you, we both hate snotty eggs and cheap sausages.

We used to have a lovely cafe 10 minutes walk away, where the lady cooked eggs perfectly and the sausages were the prizewinning ones from the local butcher. She also did great mushrooms and the breakfast came with a small portion of saute potatoes. We used to go nearly every Saturday, until they closed down and converted the premises into 2 houses which they sold for £300k apiece. We were really cross, but I suppose you have to cook a lot of breakfasts to make £600k.

I don't know why people make such crap scrambled eggs, they're so bloody easy to get perfect (nothing added apart from salt and pepper and cooked in butter).

grin No but lots of people agree!

We haven't got a nice cafe nearby now either. The last 2 we have been to have messed up DP's eggs/beans and luckily he gets as annoyed as me about it so i don't look as unreasonable when it annoys me. So we go to the farm shops and cook our own.

I've found the best thing to do when ordering eggs when out is to ask for poached. At least then all they can fuck up is the yolk. Snot puts me off the whole meal.

OhioOhioOhio Wed 10-Apr-19 16:01:44

Yip. I'm only here for the cage too. Sorry!

donajimena Wed 10-Apr-19 16:02:28

I find that a lot of places make scrambled egg with milk. You can tell by the pale yellow and the watery stuff in the serving dish. I make amazing scrambled eggs, just 3 eggs and a large knob of butter. Cook until just past runny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »