Talk

Advanced search

Baby monitors with video. Gimmick or worth it?

(57 Posts)
belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 11:20:16

Just that really...?

Celebelly Wed 10-Apr-19 17:24:24

We have the BT6000. It's really good. It's on sale on Amazon at the moment I think.

MummBraTheEverLeaking Wed 10-Apr-19 17:35:06

We have a motorola and the app which means if we're out on a rare night and want to coo over baby sleeping like soppy parents saddos we can get a live stream onto our phones too!

BeanTownNancy Wed 10-Apr-19 17:35:50

We actually use a home security camera. We can see the whole room and move it around if DS(2) is banging around, it's HD and when he's outgrown it I could move it and use it as an actual security camera. We can log into it from our phones, so even if we're out for the evening and someone is babysitting, or when I was in hospital several times this month, I could see my son sleeping (I was in for a couple of weeks overnight so I missed him).
Expecting DS2 in the next couple of weeks - we will only use the sound monitor for him until he moves into DS1's room (when he's sleeping enough to not wake DS1 constantly!)

IchibanLipstickForMen Wed 10-Apr-19 17:45:36

I think ours is the BT 6000 one also. Nice big screen with a Talk back function. Can also move the camera around the room from the video monitor if necessary! It was a bit pricey but my OH's Nan chipped in with us. That was nice of her but I'd have paid the whole whack either way.

My friends little boy vomited whilst swaddled and they said if they didn't have the monitor they don't think he'd have been okay... sad

runsmidgeOMG Wed 10-Apr-19 17:51:14

I used mine right until it broke about 4 months ago, even at night DC 3 now blush
I'm managing without it though. DC is loud enough to shout mummy never daddy if if they wake.

I'll be honest and say I was (and still am to a degree) a super anxious parent and liked to have it on whenever they were sleeping.
Having the technology to have them on screen to alert me of any unsettled moments-and it would be on constantly helped me, or fed the anxiety who knows but I felt better for it.

Maybe it took it breaking for me to realise I'd survive without it.

TheCraicDealer Wed 10-Apr-19 18:02:08

Is it really any creepier than co-sleeping with them or going in to check on them during the night? In both those scenarios you're watching them sleep, just not through a screen.

I'd be interested in people's recommendations as I would like one- not so much for the newborn stage but when they're in their own room and capable of pulling themselves up and running their hands along the bars of the cot like Cool Hand Luke it could definitely be useful. DH isn't so keen though, thinks an audio one would be adequate.

belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 21:56:58

I bought one. I've set it up. And now I'm scared because it's like something out of a horror film 😅

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »