Talk

Advanced search

Baby monitors with video. Gimmick or worth it?

(57 Posts)
belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 11:20:16

Just that really...?

DobbysLeftSock Wed 10-Apr-19 12:18:26

With dd1 I had just a cheap audio one. It got lost in a house move and I replaced it with a video one for dd2. Like the video much better!

belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 14:40:28

Ok, I'm convinced!!

Now my next question... which one? 😥

Farmerswifey12 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:43:17

I find it creepy too but only when my DS sits up and stares straight into it 🤣

I agree it's totally worth it and wish I'd spent the extra for my first child but didn't get it till the 2nd came along.

We have a Motorola one

Farmerswifey12 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:43:44

Intact no, it's BT not motorola! Would recommend it

mynamechangemyrules Wed 10-Apr-19 14:49:45

They are super weird and I can't stand it when parents have it on in the corner and keep looking at it throughout the evening. I really don't understand the posts saying they can tell whether or not to go in... Same as with the audio ones!
Tbf I think I've been pushed over the edge when I went to a kids party recently and some visiting parents had brought their laptop to stream the video while their baby slept in the next door room. They didn't finish one conversation, just stared at the screen.

BillywigSting Wed 10-Apr-19 14:53:02

Definitely worth it, we had one with two way sound so we could press a button and bollock talk to dc.

It's worth it for the entertainment value of them doing baby gymnastics at bedtime though if nothing else.

And yes, being able to see if noises require intervention or not.

belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 14:54:12

@mynamechangemyrules but surely you only check it occasionally or when you hear noise to see what they're up to? Not constantly watch it? Sounds like the people you've seen using them are a bit anxious!

StarTheGirl Wed 10-Apr-19 14:54:42

Never had one, but based on this thread I really wish I did now!

Yorkshirepudding1987 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:59:44

We have a BT one, cant remember which model. Our son has a lovely habit of screaming in his sleep, it's the same noise when hes awake so we find it useful to have a look and decide whether we are going in or not.
We put it on as soon as he goes to bed, on ours you can have the screen blank and itll flick back on if a noise is made.
I have it on all night so when I wake during the night I have a quick look at the monitor to see if hes kicked his duvet off (he hasn't worked out putting it back over him). I wouldn't say I watch it constantly though.

PCohle Wed 10-Apr-19 15:04:10

I also think they're a bit creepy grin

I quite liked my DC getting used to being "disturbed" by me popping into their room etc. It might be fluke but they're all deep sleepers which was very handy when traveling, sharing rooms etc.

BirthdayKake Wed 10-Apr-19 15:08:31

Totally worth it. Also get one with a talk-back function!

Giddyuppp Wed 10-Apr-19 15:13:01

Totally worth it IMO. Sometimes my son kind of talks to himself in his sleep but he can stay in his cot for a little longer. I wouldn't know this judged purely on a noise monitor.

I also like just seeing him sleeping and being generally cute

ScreamScreamIceCream Wed 10-Apr-19 15:15:32

It's not like you're live streaming to the internet.

You may actually be check your security settings of any device and make sure they aren't using the manufacturers default.

ThePants999 Wed 10-Apr-19 15:23:32

Parents keeping an eye on their children... sooooooo creepy. hmm

CheshireChat Wed 10-Apr-19 15:26:41

I loved ours, particularly as DS was a very light sleeper so disturbing him at the wrong time could easily mean two hours of settling afterwards hmmconfused.

DS is 4 yo now and I still use it as the layout of the house means I can't hear him at all unless he's really screaming which isn't ideal.

Pretty sure we have a Motorola as well.

PCohle Wed 10-Apr-19 15:27:34

I meant more waking up and glancing at a baby monitor to see your child gazing at you like Damion is a bit creepy, not that I think it's pervy on the part of parents...

SummerInSun Wed 10-Apr-19 15:40:19

Worth every penny as everyone else has said, for all the reasons we've given. We have a Motorola one that automatically switches back and for the between the two camera in out two DCs' rooms every few seconds. If you are planning kore than one child, worth getting one where you could add a second camera later if you wanted to.

Narya Wed 10-Apr-19 15:44:39

We've got a BT 6000 one - DP didn't want a wifi one because of security, which limits the options a lot.

Seniorschoolmum Wed 10-Apr-19 15:46:44

If they link wirelessly to your router/hub, make sure you change the default user ID and password or a lot of them are laughably easy to hack.

And then someone can see your routine, hear what is happening in your house and be able to work out when you are out.

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Wed 10-Apr-19 15:49:28

We had one with video. Somehow though we were connected to someone else's and had their baby and toddler on our screen instead shock so we unplugged it and only ever bothered with the audio.

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Wed 10-Apr-19 15:50:00

It wasn't a Wi-Fi one either...

RainbowMum11 Wed 10-Apr-19 16:00:02

Def worth it.

PetuniaPetunia Wed 10-Apr-19 16:05:56

I don "t think they're necessary at all ,but if you get one Just make sure it can't be hacked in to. You don"t want a stranger watching your baby.

LynseyLou1982 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:01:45

We love ours. It's easier to tell if any noises will need you to go in and intervene or if they're just making a noise in their sleep. Also easier to check on them without needing to go in and potentially wake them up.

JustMe81 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:14:36

We have an Angelcare with sleep sensor mat, camera and audio. The sensor mat sets off an alarm if no movement is detected in 20 seconds. Excellent for peace of mind with a small baby who doesn’t move around much. The camera and audio really come in to their own as baby gets bigger to allow you to monitor your child without disturbing them. My son is a light sleeper, if I so much as go near his room I wake him so the monitor allows me to check on him without waking him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »