Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have been short with this dog walker?

(5 Posts)
Celian Tue 09-Apr-19 19:44:09

I live in a block of flats in a private housing estate. The estate has open entrance roads and is bounded by railings. There are grass areas and other garden features that we residents pay for maintaining through a service charge to the estate management company.

One of these entrances, the one next to my block, has a road at the end that leads onto an urban nature reserve. The nature reserve itself is a pretty horrible place due to dog mess everywhere. This is annoying as it could be a nice green space but it's not. Dog owners generally let their dogs off lead in it, making it even less pleasant. They also tend to let their dogs off lead on the way in and out of it as it's a quiet road. Most days this means dogs attacking each other and creating noise, plus running around out of control and shitting on the road both inside and out of the estate, including on our grass areas. This is all annoying. I am saying all of this to give context to the woman I encountered today.

I left my flat and as I was walking towards the estate exit ie still in the estate, a dog comes running up to me, no owner in sight, medium sized, circling, bit of barking aggressive and getting in my way and being a pain in the arse. The owner appears, I motion to the dog and ask her can she catch a hold of it, she starts whistling, the dog ignores her. I'm kind of dancing around this animal, eventually manage to get past it. Then it runs onto our grass, she strolls along after it, whistling ineffectually, and it's pissing against a bush.

I ask her if she lives here, she says no, so I say well I do and maybe try and stop your dog from going onto gardens that other people pay for the upkeep of. She just says the dog never poos (!) so I say she should keep it under better control and walk off.

WIBU?

Slicedpineapple Tue 09-Apr-19 20:07:45

No YWNBU

Celian Tue 09-Apr-19 20:15:09

Thanks. I dislike dogs and think they are a pita so can never decide if I'm being rude or not with owners like this one.

Slicedpineapple Tue 09-Apr-19 20:17:12

I'm a dog owner and would never dream of letting a dog run loose on to somebody else's garden and pee on it. People like that drive me mad.

Talkingfrog Tue 09-Apr-19 20:42:28

Yanbu. My daughter is uncomfortable around dogs. We have worked on it and she is much better but would be upset and if she thought the dog wasn't under control. If it ignored the owners commands, and harassed you it was not under control. The fact it was in what should be classed as your garden makes it worse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »