Talk

Advanced search

Manual VS Automatic cars.

(149 Posts)
HJWT Tue 09-Apr-19 17:48:53

AIBU to tell my DH we have to get an automatic? iv only ever driven one once but I just assume it is such a better drive when you don't have to change gear!!

We are getting a 'new' (newer used) family car soon and are spending our savings, id much prefer an automatic but he is the one that knows all about cars! 😁

Tell me your opinion on driving an Automatic VS a Manual....

nishariff Tue 09-Apr-19 17:53:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HJWT Tue 09-Apr-19 17:58:21

@nishariff did you post that in the wrong thread?

PenCreed Tue 09-Apr-19 18:01:01

I’m not a big fan of automatics, I find they don’t respond to country driving as well as a manual does. Good round town though! My experience is limited, but I don’t think changing/not changing gear makes much difference to it being a good drive or not. The only reason I’d choose an automatic would be if I physically struggled with the clutch - I prefer making the decisions, not the car doing it for me!

JenniferJareau Tue 09-Apr-19 18:01:26

TBH I've never understood why people would want to drive a manual car unless you are a complete petrol head and want to go at speed etc.

I love automatic cars. They do all the work for you. Would never return to drive a manual car now.

ILoveAllRainbowsx Tue 09-Apr-19 18:02:25

Definitely get an automatic. They are much better than they used to be and are great to drive.

Make sure you get a proper automatic not something like a VW which has a DSG gear box or a semi-automatic.

Honda do proper automatics which are brilliant to drive.

ShinyPinkLipgloss Tue 09-Apr-19 18:03:57

I LOVE my automatic - only issue I’ve had was during bad snow - it REFUSED to go up any slopes! However I could get around it be changing to manual (my car has a dual gearbox so can switch from automatic to manual).

I’d never consider getting a manual car now. I don’t see the point.

ArfArfBarf Tue 09-Apr-19 18:04:57

Modern automatic cars are great (and 90% of my driving is “country” driving). I think a lot of people have outdated preconceptions about automatic cars. Or are comparing a tiny-engined automatic hire car abroad with their usual higher spec manual.

Why not test drive both and see for yourselves?

123confused Tue 09-Apr-19 18:05:25

I've had an automatic for the last 7 years (all previous cars were manual), I love it and have no plans to revert.

origamiunicorn Tue 09-Apr-19 18:05:57

I'm learning to drive an automatic. Why drive a manual when the machine can do it for you. The way I see it they're more modern, the next step towards automated cars. grin

Although, I can see why you might want to drive a manual sports car around a race track or a nice country road grin

Provincialbelle Tue 09-Apr-19 18:06:20

Dual clutches are more efficient. Traditional manuals are better in terms of performance and efficiency than traditional autos. What sort of driving do you do? If mainly around town, auto is better; if in country manual

Mordred Tue 09-Apr-19 18:08:38

Bought an automatic SAAB 93 convertible a couple of months ago after only having owned manuals before. I love it. 2 litre and loads of oomph. It really saves my increasingly creaky knees when in traffic jams :-)

HJWT Tue 09-Apr-19 18:09:11

Thanks everyone! I forget DH has a bad arm and probably will need automatic in a few years anyway!! I think my DH is put of because he has a lot of mechanic friends and automatic gear box's? (If thats what it is😂) are a lot more to replace than a manual... even at mates rates x

Mordred Tue 09-Apr-19 18:09:54

Oh and it has a tiptronic manual setting for more flexibility - still no clutch, though, you simply nudge the gearstick backwards or forwards to change gear.

badlydrawnperson Tue 09-Apr-19 18:10:54

Driven and owned both over the years - swings and roundabouts, and very much depends on the car.

gubbsywubbsy Tue 09-Apr-19 18:12:08

I have had auto with gears on the steering wheel for ages now . Manual cars are for fools 😂😂

gubbsywubbsy Tue 09-Apr-19 18:12:43

Our cars are always fast and responsive 🏎🏎

Onceuponacheesecake Tue 09-Apr-19 18:12:46

I find driving a manual far more interactive and satisfying. I quite like driving. It's down to the individual.

Crazycat16 Tue 09-Apr-19 18:12:50

We have just got another car and it just happens to be automatic so we have one manual and one automatic. Driving the automatic is terrifying, I didn’t know what to do with my left arm & leg and kept trying to change gear and press the clutch. I was terrified at the roundabout at the bottom of a hill because I kept feeling it was going to roll forward as soon as I lifted my foot off the break to start off. It was very unnerving and I won’t be driving it again. Conversely OH has been driving the automatic loads but when we went out in mine recently it was screaming along and I had to remind him to change gear.

lillymunster Tue 09-Apr-19 18:12:55

I learned to drive in a manual car and have still never had an automatic. If I drive someone else's automatic car I find it a bit strange. I think that's just me being stuck in my ways. An automatic would be a lot easier on my dodgy left foot so whenever I get a different car in the future I intend to buy an automatic

Lifecraft Tue 09-Apr-19 18:13:40

Make sure you get a proper automatic not something like a VW which has a DSG gear box or a semi-automatic.

This is nonsense. The DSG gearbox is fabulous, and a real advance on a traditional "slushbox" auto. Better fuel economy, much smoother steps thru the gears. Loads of other car makers apart from VW have a DSG style box but they call it something different (Porsche have the PDK).

A semi automatic can be driven like a full auto if that's what you want, or as a clutchless manual if you choose too. No reason to avoid them, just drive it in fully auto mode.

brodybear Tue 09-Apr-19 18:16:59

Realistically the cost of a replacement gear box isn't even relevant when choosing a car. Unless you are buying something with incredible high mileage it shouldn't be a factor.

OP unless you have a reason to choose auto I would just look for the car you want, the car that suits your needs and budget and if that happens to be an auto then fine, if not also fine.

DappledThings Tue 09-Apr-19 18:19:24

I've never driven an automatic and they terrify me. I just can't imagine feeling in control of it. But last time we bought a car the dealer said he thinks it will be come harder and harder to buy manuals so I might have to get over it.

Not sure when I'll stop thinking of manuals as proper cars and automatics and dodgems though.

AlunWynsKnee Tue 09-Apr-19 18:21:55

Nothing wrong with the DSG boxes in VWs. They're good.
We've both got the DSG box now after 30 years of manual gearboxes each. I have a problem with my left hand and it's just easier. I'll miss my manual but not enough to reconsider.

brodybear Tue 09-Apr-19 18:21:56

Manual cars are for fools

Or simply for people who choose them?

No need to be a dick over what kind of car people drive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: