Talk

Advanced search

Work phone when on Annual Leave

(140 Posts)
AndOnAndOn Tue 09-Apr-19 15:23:04

Can anyone share their experience/views with me please as they differ wildly in our house......

When on annual leave do you generally read/respond to work emails, What's App, text messages? Do you continue to keep an eye on work related social media, retweet, like posts etc?

Or when you are off you are off? Do you manage to put your out of office on and switch off from work completely?

I appreciate if you have one phone that is sued for both work and social it may be more tricky, how about if you have a separate work phone?

Thanks.

Liz38 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:26:40

If I'm on annual leave the work phone is switched off and I do nothing work related. I may go through stuff and triage emails the night before going back in but that's it. I'm fairly low ranking though! I'm not paid to work while I'm on holiday grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 09-Apr-19 15:26:58

I usually check a couple of times a day, as does DH. Neither of us have the kind of jobs where someone covers when you are off

mynameiscalypso Tue 09-Apr-19 15:28:17

I don't check on social media (but then I don't do that normally) but I generally clear my emails a couple of times a day on holiday and respond to IMs and text messages. I am also happy to review things on my phone. I'd much rather keep things ticking over than have to deal with a load of stuff when I get back. I was the same when I was on sick leave too.

Teddybear45 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:28:58

I’ll keep an eye on my inbox, forwarding urgent stuff etc.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Tue 09-Apr-19 15:30:28

I usually check my work phone 3/4 times a day when on leave or sick. We're not allowed to put an "out of office" on- we dont have to action anything, more forward what needs doing to a colleague who's covering. I dont mind this when off for a day or two, but when I go away for my week's holiday, I will request my cover has access to my emails and monitors them fully .

redexpat Tue 09-Apr-19 15:30:50

Absolutely nothing.

SerenDippitty Tue 09-Apr-19 15:34:00

I don't. Out of office on referring urgent queries to someone else.

Technology is causing virtual presenteeism IMO.

AppleBru Tue 09-Apr-19 15:34:21

Nothing. You arent working. So dont work smile

PanamaPattie Tue 09-Apr-19 15:34:32

When I’m on annual leave, I turn my work phone off and put it in a drawer. I don’t think you can de-stress and completely switch off and rest if you are constantly checking your phone. Any life or death work situation can be dealt with by a colleague or it can wait until I get back.

Lauren83 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:35:45

I keep on top of emails etc when on annual leave or mat leave, there's no expectations from my company to do so I just prefer to, I will respond to patients at weekends and evenings via email but don't answer calls when I'm off (private healthcare)

00100001 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:36:27

phone is switched off and left in the office drawer!

MindyStClaire Tue 09-Apr-19 15:37:00

Current job I don't get many emails so I just continue to use my phone as normal.

Previous job I had two close friends on the same level as me who I knew would contact me if I was needed for something that other people couldn't easily cover. I'd keep an eye on inbox every couple of days but not tell anyone that's what I was doing.

In any job, I wouldn't do any more work than send an email telling someone else how to solve something urgent that came up that would usually be mine to fix.

It depends very much on job, level of seniority etc.

LtJudyHopps Tue 09-Apr-19 15:37:06

Depends. If I’m out of the country it doesn’t come with me (if something important was happening I would take it though). A couple of colleagues have my personal number for anything urgent.
If I just have a day off I generally check it a couple of times in the morning then leave for the rest of the day. But mine is nothing to do with social media though just emails. I don’t answer the phone if it rings.

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Apr-19 15:37:48

Same as Liz38

MT2017 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:38:26

I have a dual sim phone (one for work, one for personal).

I do not ever check work emails if abroad but from home sometimes I will.

But only if I want to, it isn't expected.

TheFlis12345 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:38:26

Work phone is generally off, but a couple of trusted colleagues have my personal number so can text me if there is an emergency that they can’t resolve themselves.

Comefromaway Tue 09-Apr-19 15:39:19

My work email isn't on my phone, I took it off. I would respond to a text if it was someone wanting to know how to do something that I usually do (usually payroll)

blackteaplease Tue 09-Apr-19 15:40:49

It depends really. I'm off this week with the kids and am checking emails in the evening as I'm waiting for something important and urgent to come in. When my workload is light I don't bother. I definitely don't check on my summer family holiday. That's proper down time.

Ragwort Tue 09-Apr-19 15:41:20

I keep an eye on my phone & organisation website, no one covers my role (in a formal capacity) when I am away & I would rather know if there was an issue at the time rather than come back to a possibly even bigger problem.

peachgreen Tue 09-Apr-19 15:43:13

When I'm off, I'm off. Though occasionally I'll check my emails. Mostly not though. When I was in a management role I kept on top of things though.

Alsohuman Tue 09-Apr-19 15:43:21

I used to put my out of office on, turn the phone off and put it away and forget the place existed until I went back. Your employer doesn’t own you, they buy your contracted hours every week - and, in my case many more - holidays were my time and I protected it fiercely.

SnapesGreasyHair Tue 09-Apr-19 15:44:35

If you're working... which answering emails/messages etc is.... then you're not on holiday.

My holiday time is very precious and unless I'm going to be compensated for doing the work whilst I am on my LEGALLY entitled rest from work, then no l won't do anything

Mia1415 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:47:43

It depends. For off days off and for holidays in the UK I normally check at least once a day. When I went for a 2 week 'trip of a lifetime' type holiday a few years ago I switched my phone off (and told everyone that I was doing so). Having said that my MD and direct reports had my personal number so they could get hold of me in an emergency. No-one covers for me when I'm off. I'd also rather be aware of any issues so that I can manage them from a distance rather than have to deal with a complete mess on my return. It is give and take though.
My boss is flexible and trusts me therefore I have no problem checking my phone on holiday, in the evening and at weekends. In return I can leave early/ come in late when needed. It's give and take.

singymummy Tue 09-Apr-19 15:47:59

in my previous job (that absolutely ruined me and my mental health) i was on my phone constantly when on annual leave and out of my working hours.
so after i left that company and joined a new one i vowed never to do this again.

I switch my work phone off and my boss has my personal number if it is a genuine emergency.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: