Talk

Advanced search

to feel slightly insulted when house guests re-wash dishes before using?!

(105 Posts)
BayLeaves Tue 09-Apr-19 10:25:26

Not really a big deal but just been wondering how other people would feel about this.

I’ve had a friend and a family member (on separate occasions) insisting on re-washing kitchen items themselves at my house before using them. One wanted to wash up the already clean plate and cutlery they were going to eat from, the other wanted to rewash a wooden chopping board before preparing food on it. They both claimed it’s nothing personal, just “OCD”. I don’t think either of them actually suffer from OCD, but then again I’m not an expert.

Would you find this insulting? My kitchen is very clean and my plates etc are all very clean too, no greasy fingerprints or anything as we use a dishwasher. It felt like they just don’t trust my cleanliness?

FerdinandsMightyTesticles Wed 10-Apr-19 16:45:42

And the amount of people claiming to have OCD is ridiculous. Totally diminishes the reality of actually suffering from this illness
*This with bells on. Too many mentions of “a bit of OCD” or diagnosing others on this thread.
OCD is a debilitating condition, and doesn’t necessarily focus on cleanliness.*

Do you think it's unlikely that actual OCD sufferers wouldn't post on this thread? I also have OCD. As in I was diagnosed, by a doctor. I had the traditional door locky, weird counting, everything must be EVEN, Stop the washing machine the cat is definitely in there. Oh my god I'm going to get AIDS from this toilet seat type that then turned in to the quite upsetting intrusive thoughts type.

But If I had a friend who insisted on washing every dish she ate off before use, I would quietly ask her if she had ever spoken to anyone about it. That's not usual.

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 10-Apr-19 18:18:24

Thanks for the dishwasher cleaning tips, Shannon & Ferdinand! I'll try them out. I might have to try Mitzi's idea too, if I feel really brave.

ConferencePear Wed 10-Apr-19 18:27:24

OP you say this is not really a big deal
it would be for me. They wouldn't be eating at my house again.

e1y1 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:37:11

Tough one, it never seems not insulting but some people just have to - im one of them.

A dishwasher doesn't always mean the dishes are clean either, as an example we have a dishwasher and everything comes out sparkling and spotless, and I mean spotless that's because I'm obsessive about making sure it is reagualrly cleaned.

A certain other family member has nothing but issues with the way dishes come out of theirs, it's almost a running joke.

DrSeuss Thu 11-Apr-19 09:47:36

My MIL spent a day in my house once while I was at work and informed me that she hadn't touched the food in the fridge that we had left for her as the packets were open and she didn't know how long they'd been open. Because, obviously, I would leave stale or potentially rotten food for a guest! Was quite offended at the implication.

Next time she visited, I placed unopened packs in the fridge with huge notices attached saying, "MIL's Super Special Definitely Not Dangerous Never Been Opened Food." She never commented!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »