Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about second hand wedding dress

(56 Posts)
mrsapril Tue 09-Apr-19 10:11:58

I have listed my wedding dress on an online auction for a second hand sale. The price is decent I think (35% of original price) and in any case lower offers will be accepted. It's been dry cleaned etc. The dress is from a famous brand and is a standard UK size. I have also provided measurements as well as lots of detailed photos on the auction listing.

AIBU to not be comfortable with buyers asking if they can come to my home and try the dress on?

AryaStarkWolf Tue 09-Apr-19 13:46:41

I mean personally I wouldn't buy my wedding dress without trying it on first. I don't think the potential buyers aren't unreasonable to ask for that reason. It's totally your choice though to say no to them aswell, you just might find it harder to make the sale

AryaStarkWolf Tue 09-Apr-19 13:47:22

I don't think the potential buyers are unreasonable to ask*

Crunchymum Tue 09-Apr-19 13:49:05

So all these second hand wedding sites are full of sellers having people visit their house to try on dresses and brides trudging off to strange peoples houses to try on prospective dresses?

Sounds like a lot of hard work. Surely the point of second hand dresses (and the sites that facilitate this) is that for a bargain price the bride does her research and makes sure she buys a dress that suits and fits.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 09-Apr-19 13:52:37

I myself WOULD buy a second hand wedding dress without trying on, yes
But you tried on the dress so you knew what it would look like on you and what size you needed.

Most brides are not looking for that 1 specific dress, if they were they wouldn't ask to try it on. Plus there is no guarantee that even if they had tried on the same dress in a shop that yours had not been altered.

This is a dress they will wear on their wedding day, it would be a very daft bride who would part with their cash for a dress they had not tried on or seen in person. If someone came onto AIBU asking if they should buy your dress, unless it was and a huge bargain, they would quite rightly be told not to without seeing if it fit or looked good on.

EmeraldShamrock Tue 09-Apr-19 13:54:29

It is 2nd hand, less 35% retail price, probably 1 year old.
Was there any alterations on the dress for your shape? It doesn't sound like a bargain to me.
Why would anyone risk buying it, if it did not fit.

GregoryPeckingDuck Tue 09-Apr-19 13:56:06

I think it depends on how much you are asking for it. If it under £100 it’s not unreasonable to expect them to buy it without trying it on and examining it closely but over £100 I would expect to be able to see it at least so I can see it hasn’t been altered/damaged in some way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »