Talk

Advanced search

To think no-one can really be "banned" from this site?

(11 Posts)
countchuckula Tue 09-Apr-19 10:39:34

I suppose if they have a distinctive style and keep coming back, they will become one of the Troll Regulars!

TwinsTrollsAndHunz Tue 09-Apr-19 10:00:01

Well there is that, continually. Some are like broken records hmm

TwinsTrollsAndHunz Tue 09-Apr-19 09:59:14

BOD

TwinsTrollsAndHunz Tue 09-Apr-19 09:59:05

I don’t understand that either. I would have thought that they’d have blocked the original IP from accessing MN, so how can they tell it’s a PBP? I am not an IT bid though.

continuallychargingmyphone Tue 09-Apr-19 09:58:53

Some of them are pretty easy to recognise but beyond that I am not sure.

TwinsTrollsAndHunz Tue 09-Apr-19 09:57:54

Yep, all they have to do is use IP masking software and get another disposable gmail address.

countchuckula Tue 09-Apr-19 09:57:49

If you were banned from a chain of shops say and went in in disguise and for ten minutes no one noticed but then you were marched out, you would still be banned

Good analogy, yes. How do MN know they were previously banned though? Wouldn't they have a new email address and likely going through a VPN too? I don't understand...

countchuckula Tue 09-Apr-19 09:56:46

Momentarily Inconvenienced By Having To Find Another Disposable Email Address Posters doesn’t flow quite as easily

True! grin

Saucery Tue 09-Apr-19 09:55:18

Momentarily Inconvenienced By Having To Find Another Disposable Email Address Posters doesn’t flow quite as easily.

continuallychargingmyphone Tue 09-Apr-19 09:54:59

Well yes, that’s why their threads are taken down as they are a PBP so they are banned again.

If you were banned from a chain of shops say and went in in disguise and for ten minutes no one noticed but then you were marched out, you would still be banned.

countchuckula Tue 09-Apr-19 09:53:27

I see threads being taken down all the time because of PBP (Previously Banned Posters) - so they can't really have been banned, can they? It's not possible to truly ban a poster is it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »