Talk

Advanced search

To think it’s not THAT weird to not have Netflix?

(87 Posts)
StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 09-Apr-19 09:12:20

My manager was asking yesterday if I’d seen the Madeleine McCann documentary. I said I hadn’t because I don’t have Netflix. From his reaction you would have thought I’d said I still had an outside loo or lived in a mud hut. ‘How can you not have Netflix?!’

My answer was ‘quite easily’. It’s not like we’re still in the days of three terrestrial channels. How many channels do we get on Freeview, plus catch-up etc. There’s already stuff I want to watch but haven’t had the chance to yet. Why would I pay for a subscription too?

This isn’t one of those ‘Where do people get the time to watch so much television? I’m FAR too busy’ threads (which are really just a way to sound superior). I love watching TV; in fact I would have said I watch more than average. But there are only so many non-working hours in a day. Even if I did nothing else but watch TV, I can’t magic up extra time to do it in.

I get that Netflix is popular and it’s not that I don’t get the ‘on demand’ appeal. But I didn’t think it was now so mainstream that people would be taken aback that I don’t have it. Am I really in the minority, or is my boss just being OTT?

Butchyrestingface Wed 10-Apr-19 18:12:16

I’ve got Netflix, and I don’t even have a TV. 😊

Mummadeeze Wed 10-Apr-19 17:37:51

I work in TV (for a Channel on Freeview) and I don’t have Netflix. I did succumb for a few months but cancelled it because I always have so many series to watch on linear TV that I wasn’t getting time to watch anything on it. I watch TV on my way to work on my phone but I tend to use the main channel catch up apps to do that. I think it depends on your taste though to some extent too. I watch a lot of reality TV and Netflix doesn’t really satisfy that interest.

SimonJT Wed 10-Apr-19 17:32:50

I don’t have netflix, prime, virgin or sky, I don’t have enough time to watch TV, completely normal OP.

TeaForTheWin Wed 10-Apr-19 17:29:05

I flit between nowtv and Netflix, just cancelled my Netflix cause for the next few months it is game of thrones seasons smile smile

Megan2018 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:26:17

DH watches a lot of films, so we have Sky, Netflicks, Amazon Prime and Apple TV.
Film is his hobby though, he rarely goes to the pub and doesn't spend money on gym membership - so the cost is actually quite small relative to other people's hobbies (including mine!).

But I know lots of people that don't have these things and I think that is entirely normal.

It takes a special sort of idiot to not understand that not everyone's lives are the same as theirs @StillCoughingandLaughing - your manager is one of those it seems!

DanielRicciardosSmile Wed 10-Apr-19 17:25:57

We don't have Netflix either. Used to have it but cancelled it in favour of Amazon Prime when The Grand Tour started on there and kept it for the free delivery etc too. I'm thinking of getting the cheapo Netflix sub though as there's a fairly new series on there that I want to watch. Might just get the free month and cancel though.

Brilliantidiot Wed 10-Apr-19 17:20:53

Well your boss would probably be aghast at me. I don't have WiFi! So no Netflix or now TV or anything. We have phone packages with data on that lasts the month (me more, I'm always rolling over) and I turn my phone onto a mobile hotspot so I can do my online course and upload it. I don't really have time to watch everything I want to that's on Freeview - have a box that records and I record things I want to see and then watch it when I can.
Can say that I don't miss WiFi and DD isn't missing out for homework etc, and lack of WiFi means she does other things rather than being glued to a screen. I watch stuff on you tube and use that for music as well and it does me.

SnapesGreasyHair Wed 10-Apr-19 17:07:47

@DinaCaliente - l have a USB slot, is that where it would go?

DontCallMeCharlotte Wed 10-Apr-19 17:06:43

I'm always faintly surprised that we do have Netflix!

(One month's free trial when The Crown first started and never looked back.)

SnapesGreasyHair Wed 10-Apr-19 17:00:25

@DinaCaliente - many thanks. The TV upstairs is old so what connection does a Firestick go in?

DinaCaliente Wed 10-Apr-19 09:19:24

@SnapesGreasyHair

You should be able to get Freesat through your old Sky box (similar channels to Freeview). You used to have to have a special viewing card for it but I'm not sure you do now, have a word with Sky.

Any other TV's you can stick a Fire Stick in (or similar) and you can get Netflix, iPlayer, All4, TV Player and many more through the apps on it for free so pretty much all the channels you'd get on Freeview.

EBearhug Tue 09-Apr-19 18:41:35

I work in tech so people are a bit more into these kinds of things.

Not all of us. (It's partly working in tech that means I wouldn't have time to watch Netflix, which is why I don't have it.)

SnapesGreasyHair Tue 09-Apr-19 16:12:13

I currently have sky but have cancelled it as of next month.

I was thinking of getting Netflix but l have no idea how to make it work with the TV l have blush

Downstairs is a smart TV so l know l can get Netflix on there.... but how do l watch normal TV? I get to keep my sky box so do l access the station's through that?

outpinked Tue 09-Apr-19 16:04:21

I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t have it but I guess it’s not so weird not to have it. We only have Netflix and prime, haven’t paid for Sky or TV licence for years now and don’t miss it at all.

notacooldad Tue 09-Apr-19 15:51:46

I cancelled Netflix because I’m not interested in murders
Neither am I.
That's why I've enjoyed the Rolling Stones on Tour in Latin America, The Foo Fighters, back and Forth, The Black Mirror stories, Montage of Heck, Sinatra biography, Best of enemies, Film stars dont die in Liverpool and Magic Mike this week while I've been recovering from an illness.

Loftyswops988 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:45:25

Me and a group of us share a log in! One of my friends has always paid and updates the password every now and then and gives it to us (to get rid of stragglers!), and I guess at some point I'll say lets switch and I will pay, then someone else will etc. It seems a lot to pay if its just for yourself though, but everyone I know seems to be in a sharing type set up like i am. My mum shares with her sister and brother in law etc.

Elphame Tue 09-Apr-19 15:00:49

He'd find me beyond weird then as I don't have a TV, never mind Netflix et al.

InternetArgument Tue 09-Apr-19 14:56:33

I cancelled Netflix because I’m not interested in murders.

LadyKylieShagworthy Tue 09-Apr-19 14:56:22

We have Netflix but not Sky or Amazon. I think it's really good value, loads of content for £9.99 a month. For that we get 5 profiles so me and DH, Our 2 adult DC and my parents can all access it.

ineedaholidaynow Tue 09-Apr-19 14:55:04

Thank you

Texel Tue 09-Apr-19 14:52:53

How much is Netflix
Depends but between 5.99 and 9.99 depending on how many screens you want to be able to use it on at the same time. I use the 7.99 as Dh and I both use it at the same time to watch different things.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 09-Apr-19 14:52:17

We don't have it either. We've only just got around to getting catch-up TV, and I find that means we watch less of it, because we do other things knowing we can watch the programmes whenever, except we forget half the time. So I'm not in any rush to pay for things not to watch.

Teddybear45 Tue 09-Apr-19 14:50:32

@ineed - 8.99/mth for the UHD package.

ineedaholidaynow Tue 09-Apr-19 14:49:18

How much is Netflix?

StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 09-Apr-19 14:49:05

I don’t have Sky either grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »