Talk

Advanced search

To think it’s not THAT weird to not have Netflix?

(87 Posts)
StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 09-Apr-19 09:12:20

My manager was asking yesterday if I’d seen the Madeleine McCann documentary. I said I hadn’t because I don’t have Netflix. From his reaction you would have thought I’d said I still had an outside loo or lived in a mud hut. ‘How can you not have Netflix?!’

My answer was ‘quite easily’. It’s not like we’re still in the days of three terrestrial channels. How many channels do we get on Freeview, plus catch-up etc. There’s already stuff I want to watch but haven’t had the chance to yet. Why would I pay for a subscription too?

This isn’t one of those ‘Where do people get the time to watch so much television? I’m FAR too busy’ threads (which are really just a way to sound superior). I love watching TV; in fact I would have said I watch more than average. But there are only so many non-working hours in a day. Even if I did nothing else but watch TV, I can’t magic up extra time to do it in.

I get that Netflix is popular and it’s not that I don’t get the ‘on demand’ appeal. But I didn’t think it was now so mainstream that people would be taken aback that I don’t have it. Am I really in the minority, or is my boss just being OTT?

Jsmith99 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:38:35

I don’t have Netflix or Amazon Prime or Spotify. I do, however, subscribe to Sky for the sports channels. I’m a huge cricket fan and I also follow football and F1, so I’m a captive market for Sky.

I can’t justify the cost of subscribing to anything other than Sky Sports, because there is only so much TV you can, or should, watch.

MashedSpud Tue 09-Apr-19 12:39:47

My DD put it on my tv last weekend (I’ve never wanted it but felt silly saying no) and I have to say I really like it. I watched all the episodes of The Haunting of Hill House and just started watching the MMC documentary.

DinaCaliente Tue 09-Apr-19 12:42:06

I've had it for years and used to flick through quite often with nothing catching my eye that I wanted to watch but my DCs used it so I kept it going.

Since Netflix have been making their own content though it's brilliant.
So many good series and films and new stuff added all the time.

As soon as our Sky contract is finished I will cancel and just stream TV instead (we have no aerial so no Freeview).

I use Amazon Fire Sticks in the non smart TV's we have.

Jenniferyellowcat Tue 09-Apr-19 12:43:52

We got Netflix because we wanted to watch Breaking Bad. At the moment we could probably ditch it as we are mainly watching terrestrial TV dramas but we won’t.

I am giving up Amazon Prime though as I don’t have enough time to watch stuff on this too. (That said, The Good Fight is on there...) And there is some proper good stuff on BBC now.

I know a number of people who don’t have amazon on principle and it has made me think.

fitzbilly Tue 09-Apr-19 12:44:59

I only have Netflix, that's probably more unusual, but it's enough for all the watching we do. No TV licence or other channels.

notacooldad Tue 09-Apr-19 12:46:14

I think it's probably fairly normal for older people not to have it. I've jus turned fifty and we have it, as does everyone we know,,,except people of my parents generation , who seldom have it
I am surprised at this opinion.
My mum and dad have it and they pass on recommendations that their friends ha e suggested.
A lot of our friends parents also have it. The age group is 74 plus.

My son (23)has come away from his nan's with a load of must watch series, mostly thrillers!!

Jenniferyellowcat Tue 09-Apr-19 12:47:35

My parents also have it. They love it! My mum’s favourite was Homeland (she is 70).

notacooldad Tue 09-Apr-19 12:47:49

can’t justify the cost of subscribing to anything other than Sky Sports, because there is only so much TV you can, or should, watch.
Should watch? What do you mean?

notacooldad Tue 09-Apr-19 12:49:33

My mum’s favourite was Homeland (she is 70).
My mums was Breaking Bad and I had to hear what Walt was up to . It was like listening to stories of an old relative or neighbour I didnt know!!! Mum is 78!

Malbecfan Tue 09-Apr-19 12:50:11

No Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky or Spotify here either. Our internet connection is so rubbish that you can't stream anything. When you live rurally, that's what happens. There is also no mobile phone signal.

I listen to the radio loads and we have Freeview. We don't really have time for anything else. We used to have Sky but the box was crap and kept freezing then taking all our recordings with it. They kept putting up the prices and removing the channels we actually wanted to watch, so we cancelled.

Jenniferyellowcat Tue 09-Apr-19 12:50:37

The other reason I keep it is that if my kids weren’t watching shows on Netflix, they’d be badgering me to go on YouTube and I know which I would prefer.

In fact they are the reason we have kept Amazon Prime so long. (Just Add Magic!)

Leeds2 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:52:43

I don't have Netflix. Or Amazon Prime. I don't know what Spotify is (so I don't have that either!).
I have Sky, but only watch TV maybe ten times a year (sport).

Jenniferyellowcat Tue 09-Apr-19 12:53:13

It was like listening to stories of an old relative or neighbour I didnt know!!! Mum is 78!

Ha ha!

My mum is also the reason I am watching Luther and every time it is properly disturbing (ie every twenty minutes) DH says, “nice programme your mum recommended”. grin

megletthesecond Tue 09-Apr-19 12:55:13

No sky, Spotify or Amazon prime here either.

LoubyLou1234 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:55:13

I don't have Sky. I do watch catch up tv but rarely live tv so much crap on. I love Netflix and amazon prime ( which is a bonus for having it for deliveries anyway) I can choose something I want to watch.

I don't need to get out more as a PP suggested, I'm busy and very active either at work or home. I just like having the choice when I do unwind for an hour or two. It's still cheaper than sky.

It probably is becoming more common as more people get smart TVs when their old ones break or use fire stick type devices.

JenniferJareau Tue 09-Apr-19 12:55:27

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and that's it. Don't have a TV aerial so don't have 'standard channels' to watch and watch TV like BBC through iPlayer.

Dothehappydance Tue 09-Apr-19 12:59:24

We have sky. I don't have Netflix either though the telly has it built in.

I don't have Amazon on principle.

Texel Tue 09-Apr-19 13:03:46

I only have streaming services like Netflix and amazon and I use Spotify for my music, I don't have live TV.

Calloway Tue 09-Apr-19 13:05:54

Sky is the one I always avoided on principle. No way I'm putting money in that rancid old bollock's pocket.

Calloway Tue 09-Apr-19 13:11:06

My elderly parents had Netflix long before I did. My mum loves Narcos (she's 76).

ginghamstarfish Tue 09-Apr-19 13:12:15

We stopped pay for a tv license about 3 years ago, thinking we would just use catchup, but there wasn't much on there (we watch maybe 2 hours in an evening), so we got Netflix. Now we have a month on, month off watching catchup dramas etc, then maybe a month with Amazon (but that's crap compared to Netflix).

ineedaholidaynow Tue 09-Apr-19 13:12:27

We have Amazon Prime for The Grand Tour for the males in the house. I mainly use it for next day delivery.

Don’t have Netflix. DH refuses to have Sky on principle (hates Rupert Murdoch). We do have a tv aerial but for some reason our local transmitter only lets us have some of the Freeview channels

LucyFox Tue 09-Apr-19 13:30:07

I hate to think what he’d think of me - I don’t own a TV at all!

SoundofSilence Tue 09-Apr-19 13:32:44

No Netflix, Sky, Amazon Prime or Spotify here (at the moment). Television has just sort of dropped out of the things I like to do, and the kids are the same. We have Freeview and DP has to have it on constantly, usually current affairs, action films or fly on the wall programmes about traffic police or bailiffs turning up to take people's stuff away. I think the three of us have just rejected it completely because it's a constant diet of stuff we dislike. When he leaves I can't turn it off fast enough, and when he comes home, we all retreat upstairs to do other things. I recorded a few bits I wanted to watch over Christmas but can't be bothered to watch them now. I will make an exception and dust off the Now TV subscription for a couple of months when Game of Thrones starts, and I watch the occasional costume drama in bed on my kindle where there's nobody to moan about the lack of politics, unrealistic explosions or fly on the wall cameras.

RaiderOfTheKitchenCupboard Tue 09-Apr-19 13:39:30

We cancelled our Sky package about a year ago, don’t have Netflix or any other subscription tv. The kids are happy watching CBeebies or YouTube videos, and we have freeview catchup and a bunch of films and dvd box sets that we haven’t had time to watch yet. I don’t see the need to pay for more channels or whatever.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »