Talk

Advanced search

Dogs who beg for food when you eat

(101 Posts)
How999 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:19:03

My lodger feeds her dog from her own plate, so when the rest of us eat, the dog (naturally I suppose) also begs us for food.

Which I find completely off putting and irritating.

But I have never had a dog, so I don’t know if this is something most dog owners do and don’t mind. Maybe I should chill out?

mummmy2017 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:20:32

Just tell her you don't want the dog in the room you eat in ..
You should not have to put up with this.

hidinginthenightgarden Tue 09-Apr-19 08:21:14

I don't like this either. My inlaws used to have our dog in the week when we worked and do this. We just gave them the dog in the end! They were doing us a favour by having her but taught her some awful habits. They still have her and now my youngest sits next to the dog as FIL feeds them both off his plate!

FudgeBrownie2019 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:22:19

Put the dog out of the room when you're eating. Dogs don't always do this (mine are fat twats and would probably beg if they could, but they've been removed from the room when we eat since they were puppies so haven't had chance) it's laziness on her part.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 09-Apr-19 08:25:46

If she is doing feeding it her food you won't stop it begging for yours, and probably even if she stops it will be an ingrained behaviour now.
Put it out of the room when you eat.

My dog doesn't do it, my DP's does. So when he stays here the dog is in the utility while we eat while mine just lies on the floor under the table oblivious to our food.

budgiegirl Tue 09-Apr-19 08:27:21

I can’t stand this, and I’m a dog owner. Our (very food led) Labrador doesn’t beg for food because we’ve trained him not to. We’ve never allowed him near the table when we’re eating, so now he only begs for food one it’s clear it’s being offered to him.

Ask your lodger to remove the dog when you’re eating.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 09-Apr-19 08:27:31

Dog should not be in the same room when you are eating.

It's poor training on your lodgers part.

BlueMerchant Tue 09-Apr-19 08:27:54

We have a puppy who begs for food and it's definitely our fault he's like this as DC used to sneak him the odd bit off their plate often.( I never did thisblush).
We feel awful but now shut him in another room whilst we are eating. It is off-putting for us and it's really unhealthy for the dog. It's not good practice.

Rottencooking Tue 09-Apr-19 08:29:06

I hate this

LaLoba Tue 09-Apr-19 08:32:24

Dog should not be in the same room when you are eating
Lol.
My dogs lie under the table when we eat, no pestering or begging.. The occasional visitor tries to encourage begging, the offending visitor gets banished to another room until they can learn to behave.

CapeDaisy5 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:34:23

Our dog does this but not because we feed from our plate. We are just abnormally messy eaters and some usually ends up on the floor, which the dog will be waiting to hoover up! If we have leftovers, she gets it in her bowl after we finish.

CapeDaisy5 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:35:28

I should day the dog doesn't beg for food, per se, but is just alert to the fact that food is likely to be dropped grin particularly with a toddler

CalmDownPacino Tue 09-Apr-19 08:36:33

You should put the dog out of the room when you eat. I don't tolerate begging. Dog is sent to his bed when we eat and if there are leftovers for him I put them in his bowl when we are finished eating.

furrybadger Tue 09-Apr-19 08:44:25

my partners dad has two dogs, he lets them climb up on the chairs and put their paws on the table when your eating, they try and lick your plate and steal food, the littlest one sometimes climbs on the actual table when your eating, its disgusting

DeadCertain Tue 09-Apr-19 08:47:29

I hate it when dogs stare and beg when you eat; mine lies down in another room when we eat and he is banished from the kitchen when I am preparing food - he sometimes stands in the doorway and watches but doesn't come in.

Pk37 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:50:30

No this isn’t the norm . We send the dog out of the room when we eat and he gets his dinner when we have finished

MooseHoose Tue 09-Apr-19 08:51:43

YANBU. It’s poor training. Dogs need to be taught not to beg for food and not to expect food that isn’t in their own bowl.

Like Budgiegirl says, labradors are a good example of a very food-led breed, but many guide dogs are labradors and are still taught to not eat food from the floor or worktops - even when nobody is looking. If even they can be taught it, it says it all!

Bringbackthestripes Tue 09-Apr-19 09:06:40

Never let our dog beg. Labrador, so naturally greedy. Only given food in her bowl and if she came over sniffing the air she would be told to go to bed.
I can’t stand it when other people’s dogs sit slobbering at your knee begging for food.

Grumpasaurous Tue 09-Apr-19 09:10:03

Ours mooch for a couple of minutes when the plates go on the table, and then go lie in their beds.

They like to watch food cooking in the oven (dog tv?) but I do chuck them the meat off it’s and carrots etc whilst prepping food. So they linger beforehand rather than whilst we eat.

GreytExpectations Tue 09-Apr-19 09:12:54

Its tricky. Dogs normally show an interest with food but your lodger is not helping matters by feeding their dog from the plate. This just teaches the dog really bad habits. Unfortunately, you cant control how your lodger chooses to train/feed her dog but you can politely request the dog not to be in the room while you eat unless she is prepared to train him.

Our dog is very good with food as from the beginning we have been strict with him taking our food. He does watch us eat, but he lies quietly on the floor, near the table and waits patiently to see if we give him some food. Most times, we will give him a bite or two but only after he has patiently waited. Sometimes if we feel like spoiling him, we let him lick the plate after. But he doesn't beg, and if he does then he doesn't get any bits from us.

Japonicaflower2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:18:40

I absolutely hate this. Our dogs were trained to stay in their beds whenever we were cooking or eating. I dog for two friends and one dog in particular drives me potty, she can be fast asleep but as soon as you go into the kitchen she's scrounging! I make her go to her bed but it's clear her owners incessantly give her tidbits- she's overweight. When I had her for a month some years ago I knocked lots of weight off her through one meal a day and plenty of walks, her owner didn't like her being the correct weight!
Unfortunately now she's fat and arthritic- her owner hasn't done her any favours by letting her be like this 🙄☹️

Japonicaflower2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:20:02

Oops! dog sit not 'dog' ffs!

Japonicaflower2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:20:48

And she even expects a biscuit just for going out in the garden!

BlueSlipperSocks Tue 09-Apr-19 09:20:59

Sometimes if we feel like spoiling him, we let him lick the plate after

My dog, is she's very lucky, gets the crust off my toast in the morning. Dogs licking plates? Just no!! 🤢🤮🤮

Grumpasaurous Tue 09-Apr-19 09:22:42

My two do lick the dishes as I’m loading the dishwasher. They definitely don’t lick the clean ones

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »