Talk

Advanced search

The Royle Family

(14 Posts)
LellowYedbetter Tue 09-Apr-19 08:00:43

Has been named as one of the best British comedies. AIBU to think it would only make sense to people that were brought up in similar circumstances? I mean, the whole program takes place in a living room. We occasionally get to see the kitchen but I’d say over 90% of the program is focussed on the sofa in front of the TV. I’ve asked people from wealthy backgrounds if they find it funny and they always say they don’t get what’s supposed to be funny !

AIBU to think you’d have to have experienced that life to get the joke?

InACheeseAndPickle Tue 09-Apr-19 08:03:37

They were nothing like my family but I loved that show (apart from the later specials which weren't very good). No you don't have to be brought up in similar circumstances to get the joke.

SnugglySnerd Tue 09-Apr-19 08:03:55

I don't know. I've never been an Irish Catholic priest but I still find Father Ted hilarious. Friends was a huge hit here despite most people not living in New York apartments. My very middle class dad loved The Royle Family. I don't think humour is limited to the people it is about.

BarbarianMum Tue 09-Apr-19 08:05:05

I think so. My friend who loves it swears it was modelled on her family.

fc301 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:06:20

When I first watched it I thought 'I don't relate to these people' then the humour came out and I realised it's about ALL families. Love it.

NameChangeNugget Tue 09-Apr-19 08:22:47

I totally disagree OP.

My upbringing was nothing like that, yet The Royle Family, was so well written and ultimately very funny.

MaudeLynne Tue 09-Apr-19 08:25:05

I'm really rich and find it funny. HTH.

Bowchicawowow Tue 09-Apr-19 08:25:19

It’s a masterpiece of comedy.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 09-Apr-19 08:26:08

I didnt find it funny, but then I cant stand the sight of Ricky Tomlinson, him and his politics, and his general unkemptness IRL make me want to figuratively heave.

Bless Caroline Aherne though

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:28:47

It's so beautifully written, especially the very sad bits. It's about real families, I love it.

PJLove80 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:29:34

The dynamics between the family members really translate to most families. Some of it is so touching as well as funny, it really is a wonderful show, and my background is nothing like theirs.

Luglio Tue 09-Apr-19 08:30:18

Well I am from the same class background, and I can't stand it.

Hobbesmanc Tue 09-Apr-19 15:35:49

The Queen of Sheba episode is one of the most poignant, beautifully crafted TV episodes I've ever seen

DonaldTwain Tue 09-Apr-19 15:38:46

Don’t agree at all
Is the Queen of Sheba the one where nana dies? HOWL

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »