Talk

Advanced search

I found some money...

(206 Posts)
cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 07:32:24

We are currently on holiday, arrived yesterday. Had to make up the beds and when I pulled the mattress up, I found an envelope with £175 in it. On the front of the envelope it had a woman's name on it.
Obviously someone has left this behind and I would have been devastated if I had lost that amount of money. My husband and I agree that if we handed it in (to the complex/police), it probably wouldn't reach the owner. Would I be unreasonable to give the money to my friend who is raising money to support a charity?

Queenofthestress Tue 09-Apr-19 07:35:47

Yes because its not your money. Hand it in

hospitalbagfrenzy Tue 09-Apr-19 07:35:50

YANBU

motherofdxughters Tue 09-Apr-19 07:36:21

Yes, that's theft. You should hand it in and give it a chance to get to the correct person.

Etino Tue 09-Apr-19 07:36:43

Worse thing to do.
Is it her full name? Check Facebook. Talk to the management, ask them who was in your room last, look at visitor book, talk to local reps. Where are you?

NoSauce Tue 09-Apr-19 07:36:45

What if the person asks the complex/police if it’s been handed in?

The right thing is to hand it over imo.

Singlenotsingle Tue 09-Apr-19 07:36:45

Yes I think you would. That's theft. You've no right to take it and give it to someone else, even a charity. And it would be obvious who took the money. The police would be on your doorstep before you know it. Just hand it in. Then you've done your bit.

00100001 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:36:57

I would try and find the woman

The holiday place might have details

DoneLikeAKipper Tue 09-Apr-19 07:37:24

Would I be unreasonable to give the money to my friend who is raising money to support a charity?

Of course you would - hand it to the complex!

ScreamingValenta Tue 09-Apr-19 07:37:33

Could you ask the complex to pass your phone number on to the person who had the room before you?

Adversecamber22 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:37:35

Give it to the police.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 07:37:45

It's just a first name. We will hand it in!

Etino Tue 09-Apr-19 07:38:14

If you’re in the uk and hand it to the police you’ll get it back if it’s not claimed then you can do what you want with it. Not sure about other countries’ policies.

LL83 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:38:16

I would hand it in. If it doesn't reach owner it has been stolen, this might not happen (very judgemental to assume it will be taken) and it may be returned. If you keep it even to give to charity you're the one stealing it.

billybagpuss Tue 09-Apr-19 07:38:51

I’d be questioning the cleaning if they’d missed that!

I tend to agree that it probably wouldn’t reach the correct owner but would want to at least try. Maybe ask at the desk if anyone had contacted them as you’ve found something but would prefer to hand it to the police as it is of value. (I know there are so many issues with this plan but..)

I wouldn’t give it to your friend quite so soon although I think ultimately it would be ok.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 07:38:53

We will hand it in. I doubt the complex would be able to hand over details of the previous holiday makers.

Etino Tue 09-Apr-19 07:39:19

Hand it in, ask for a receipt. Or take it to the police, notifying the complex you’ve taken it in.

Etino Tue 09-Apr-19 07:40:39

You could ask the owner to contact anyone staying there with the first name and if they’ve lost anything?

Rottencooking Tue 09-Apr-19 07:41:07

Ywbvu to do anything other than hand it in, you can't say that it wouldn't reach the owner. Even if you give it to someone else for a good cause it's not your money. You'd be like a modern day Robin Hood!

The fact it was found in a room and has a name should be enough of an identifier to return it. The people who left it will know how much is in it and who it's for if the hotel ends up having to ask multiple holidayers.

badwedding Tue 09-Apr-19 07:47:06

I would hand it to the Police but notify the complex. Much more chance of the money getting back to who left it behind.
If it isn't claimed you will likely get it back and can then donate to charity.

floribunda18 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:50:07

Why would you think it won't get back to the owner if it is handed in? What kind of dodgy place are you staying in?

Of course you just hand it in at reception without hesitation. If the money did subsequently go missing it then isn't your problem.

snitzelvoncrumb Tue 09-Apr-19 07:51:05

Hand it in to the police, and contact the owner asking them to contact the previous occupants to tell them money was found and where to collect it. Don't say how much or the name on the envelope so hopefully only the rightful owner can collect not the owner of the holiday home.

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Tue 09-Apr-19 08:00:20

Diverting someone else’s money to a charity without their consent is stealing, every bit as much as spending it on beer and skittles hmm
Your moral compass is out of whack if you don’t see this distinction.

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 08:00:39

If be wondering

1- why would someon staying in a room leave an envelope of money under the mattress

2 - I would then be pretty sure that the name on the envelope wouldn’t be the name of the person staying in the room

3 - I would be quite sure that unless this is some super luxury hotel where they go or of their way to reunite lost goods with owners that the money would be handed in and forgotten about immediately

4 - how does anyone think that police or a hotel can trace an owner of an envelope of cash with just a first name? A name most likely not on their booking?

InACheeseAndPickle Tue 09-Apr-19 08:01:22

Why would it not get back to the owner? She might ring the complex and ask if it's been handed in. If no one claims it with a certain time you usually get to keep it anyway then you can give it to charity.

Blondebakingmumma Tue 09-Apr-19 08:01:26

I wouldn’t hand it to staff. When traveling with a group 4 passports were left in a hotel room. They disappeared mysteriously

Al2O3 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:03:34

YABU for believing that if you handed it to the police it would not find its original owner. They will take details, hold it and if it is claimed with a reasonable degree of evidence they will unite it with the owner. Take it to the police station local to the holiday accommodation, not your own.

whitesoxx Tue 09-Apr-19 08:03:46

@bebeboeuf really?

They put it under the mattress so it wasn't in full view for opportunistic thieves. Why on earth wouldn't the name on the envelope tally with the owner? And why wouldn't they have booked their own room? confused

LaurieFairyCake Tue 09-Apr-19 08:05:22

Check the guest book in case they've signed it

Shimy Tue 09-Apr-19 08:05:29

But there’s a lot of assumption that the name on the envelope is the name of the previous occupant. What if the previous occupant intended to give that money to the person named on it?

WhatToDoAboutWailmerGoneRogue Tue 09-Apr-19 08:06:13

Yes, YABVU. You only “agree” it won’t get back to the owner if you hand it into the police/complex so you can give a large amount to your friends charity, pretend it’s from you and look good.

FloraPostIt Tue 09-Apr-19 08:06:23

Hand it in and leave a Trip Advisor review mentioning it. The woman might see it and can then take it up herself.

Drogosnextwife Tue 09-Apr-19 08:06:24

I'm guessing you are abroad OP?
Does everyone actually think the police will waste resources on tracking down someone who is probably in a different country by now to give them £170? No, they will keep it there until someone claims it (which won't happen).
The hotel won't send it to the person either, it is highly unlikely they will mail money overseas. Infact it's unlikely they will mail anything.

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 08:06:54

I’m pretty sure that if I had an envelope of money belonging to me the first thing in mind to write on said envelope wouldn’t be my name

The money was payment to said name.

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 08:08:24

Very naive to think hotel staff or police would waste any time over something akin to finding a needle in haystack

Shimy Tue 09-Apr-19 08:10:25

I’d just hand in the envelope and ask whoever claims it’s theirs to be able to know what name is written on the envelope, but not that their names should match.

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 08:10:35

If the original owner of the money knew they had forgotten about it and all was above board they would have called hotel to check under the mattress for it.

That’s obviously not been the case here

stucknoue Tue 09-Apr-19 08:12:51

Speak directly to the manager not reception, or better still if a hotel with a brutish your rep them - cash is likely to go into someone's pocket

Avallamp Tue 09-Apr-19 08:13:31

bebebeouf isn't it more likely the person who put the money under the mattress received the money with their name already on the envelope? Then hid it under the mattress when they went out on day trips so as not to carry it all with them? That seems like a simpler explanation.

onefootinthegrave Tue 09-Apr-19 08:15:09

There is a good chance the money would get back to the rightful owner - all the hotel have to do is see who last stayed there with that name. They'll have their details, they can contact them and ask them if they left something behind when they stayed. If they say yes, £175, the hotel will know they've got the right person and can arrange to get it back to them.

Ok so there might be someone dodgy in the hotel that just pockets it, but really that shouldn't stop you doing the right thing in handing it in in the first place.

I remember in the 80's my sister and her friends were in a pub when they found a wallet with about £500 in. One of her friends was furious with my sister for not handing it into the bar, and they were never really friends again. We were by no means living on poverty but didn't have spare cash either. But unless I had no money to eat/pay rent/feed kids I couldn't keep something that wasn't mine. It's just not right!

Newmumma83 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:15:10

Hand it to the police not complex and let the police deal with complex ... police will have to log it and will deal with resort ...

onefootinthegrave Tue 09-Apr-19 08:16:10

**oops that was meant to read that my sister handed it into the bar and her friend was furious with her for doing so.

notapizzaeater Tue 09-Apr-19 08:16:32

I'd hand it in to the police but tell the resort that's what you've done in case the lady gets in touch with them

Eateneasterchocsalready Tue 09-Apr-19 08:18:46

Does the place your in have Twitter or Facebook?

Take photo of envelope , prefer where it was found and amount

Tell the complex you found it and do they have details.... of person with that name in the room.. and that Just in case you will post on Facebook s do TripAdvisor.

Maybe hide name on envelop get person to tell you name and room number

InACheeseAndPickle Tue 09-Apr-19 08:20:06

Just to add my friend once lost hundreds of pounds on a bus. It was in an envelope but no name on it. The money was handed in and returned to her. (She was able to identify the bus it was left on and the exact amount of money inside the envelope).

labazsisgoingmad Tue 09-Apr-19 08:23:00

usually when you book you give name and address so they should be able to contact previous occupant

HoraceCope Tue 09-Apr-19 08:25:27

hand it to the complex

HoraceCope Tue 09-Apr-19 08:26:06

or to the police but tell the complex
but no, do not give to someone's random charity

whitesoxx Tue 09-Apr-19 08:27:26

The owner didn't write their own name on it!!

Someone else did and gave it to them

Trip advisor review is a good idea, tell the hotel you have written it in the review that you are handing them the envelope.

Kungfupanda67 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:27:29

I wouldn’t hand it in - the chances of it being reunited with its owner are slim to none

breadzeb Tue 09-Apr-19 08:31:36

Don't give it to the complex. Give it to the police, that way the money is safe. Then tell the complex you have done so. If anyone contacts either the police or the complex re the money; they both know where it is. Safe.

whitesoxx Tue 09-Apr-19 08:32:56

The chances of it being handed to its owner are not even slim if you keep hold of it panda.

Where are all the honest people??

I lost money to a greater value in Cape Verde. A very poor country. Guess what, it passed through the hands of honest people and I got it back!

Shimy Tue 09-Apr-19 08:36:03

It also depends on how long since the last occupant checked out, also how do we even know it was the last occupant and not the one before or the one before that?

Movinghouseatlast Tue 09-Apr-19 08:37:59

Obviously they just email everyone who has stayed in that room for the last few weeks in order to find the owner! Whether they do or not is a different matter.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 08:38:51

We are going to hand it in. Certainly wouldn't have given it to charity to make myself look good. My friend knows we aren't able to spare a big sum like that and I'd already told her I'd found it.
I thought giving it to a charity might have been a good thing to do. No ulterior motive.
The complex doesn't ask for individual names, just one booking name.
There was only a single first name on the envelope. The envelope was already open when I found it.

user1480880826 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:40:42

Weird to leave £175 and not go back for it.

thecatsthecats Tue 09-Apr-19 08:41:39

1- why would someon staying in a room leave an envelope of money under the mattress

No safe in the room?

2 - I would then be pretty sure that the name on the envelope wouldn’t be the name of the person staying in the room

What a highly odd presumption. I probably half a half dozen envelopes at home containing cards with cash or vouchers in them - gifts awaiting my use of them. I will take them with me when I need them. I suppose the reason the name might not match the resident would be that they were taking it as a gift (say,, to a wedding) and forgot it. But the hotel could still call former residents of the room, and ask them to name the person on the envelope and the amount.

3 - I would be quite sure that unless this is some super luxury hotel where they go or of their way to reunite lost goods with owners that the money would be handed in and forgotten about immediately

I have stayed in a £40 shitty motorway travelodge who called me to say there was a silver earring in the room we'd stayed in five nights previously. They were clearly working their way down the list of former occupants. Also someone handed in our dropped bank card to reception of another hotel. They called us in our room because my husband's name matched the card.

In fact my mum loses her wallet with alarming frequency, and has almost always been reunited with it in full - even by non 'super luxury' businesses.

4- how does anyone think that police or a hotel can trace an owner of an envelope of cash with just a first name? A name most likely not on their booking?

Initial on their booking? By calling the previous inhabitants of the room?

I hope you don't go finding anything lost of mine since you seem so inclined to look for excuses not to do the right thing...

donajimena Tue 09-Apr-19 08:42:37

Don't hand it in to the complex. Either the police or keep it, tell the complex and leave your details. I believe you don't actually have to hand it over law class donkeys years ago but perhaps someone wiser could clarify

cantfindname Tue 09-Apr-19 08:44:10

It may have been payment for 'services rendered' gringrin

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Tue 09-Apr-19 08:44:16

If you had to make the beds, presumably it's a holiday let.

I'd def. give it to the police, with a note of where it was found, and your own details. I don't think I'd give it to anyone else. Most people are honest but there are always one or two.

winbinin Tue 09-Apr-19 08:44:38

I used to work in the customer service desk of a big store. There was a set procedure for found money whereby the details of when/where found etc were recorded, the money was sealed in a referenced envelope countersigned by two staff members and stored in a safe separate from stores takings along with anything else of value found in the store. The police were given details of any found valuables on a weekly basis. It was a very effective system and and we were often able to reunite owners with possessions they thought had been lost for good. It was a happy part of an often thankless job.

On more than one occasion people came to us to report having found something of value but refused to hand it in because they thought we would steal it. It was so insulting - why would working in a shop (or hotel in the OPs example) make me less honest than them? I used to comfort myself by thinking that they were judging me by their own, obviously low, standards.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 08:45:15

To say again. We are going to hand it in. There were slats under the mattress. I don't think it was money hidden for safe keeping. I think it had fallen through.

Tinyteatime Tue 09-Apr-19 08:46:17

I’d give it to charity. It won’t get back to its owner. The staff at the complex will most likely keep it.

Flaverings Tue 09-Apr-19 08:46:37

The name on the envelope is unusual.

Is it a family room? Could a child have stashed away their spending money? It's an awful lot for even a teen, but I know my nephews get a fair bit because they're the only grandchildren and have multiple step-grandparent-pairings.

PaintingOwls Tue 09-Apr-19 08:52:18

Err is no one else thinking prostitution?

WitsEnding Tue 09-Apr-19 08:54:45

I must be the odd one out, when I take money abroad I write my name on the envelope that the bureau de change give you. This is so that when it is in the safe I can distinguish it from the money belonging to DSis or whoever I'm sharing a room with.

I can quite understand that if no safe was available (perhaps early departure and key handed back) it might end up under the mattress that night.

thecatsthecats Tue 09-Apr-19 08:55:10

The name on the envelope is unusual.

Again, I don't think it is. I often receive gifts in envelopes with my name on, and maybe collate cash from a few gifts into one envelope.

It was so insulting - why would working in a shop (or hotel in the OPs example) make me less honest than them? I used to comfort myself by thinking that they were judging me by their own, obviously low, standards.

Well, there's quite a few people with low standards on this thread, evidently!

ginghamtablecloths Tue 09-Apr-19 08:55:20

This was obviously hidden for safekeeping. Your friend may well be in need of it but it would be dishonest to pass it on to her. In this day and age with the internet etc it should be possible to locate the owner. Surely the police would be your best bet.

whitesoxx Tue 09-Apr-19 08:57:59

Why bypass the hotel staff and go to the police? What tells you that they aren't trustworthy?

The hotel staff have an email address for previous occupants. Give it to them to deal with. It's most likely the last occupant due to bed sheet changes.

Why is it strange to write a name on an envelope? Wtf do you lot do when you send a birthday card?

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 09-Apr-19 08:59:20

Are you in the UK or are you abroad? I would hand it in to the police. I wouldn't assume that it would be returned if you left it with staff or the owners of the accommodation you have no proof that you handed it to them and there is nothing to stop them pocketing it.

Twisique Tue 09-Apr-19 09:02:11

If you hand it in to the police and it's not claimed then you keep it.

breadzeb Tue 09-Apr-19 09:02:24

Why bypass the hotel staff and go to the police? What tells you that they aren't trustworthy?

It removes the element of doubt, doesn't it?

Twisique Tue 09-Apr-19 09:02:34

If in the UK...

ClingFilmApplications Tue 09-Apr-19 09:03:43

Why would someone staying in a room leave an envelope of money under the mattress?

That's exactly the kind of thing I do with my holiday cash if there's no safe (but I choose a better location).

How does anyone think that police or a hotel can trace an owner of an envelope of cash with just a first name?

It's not about tracing them - it's for when that person phones up and says "Can you help? My name's Xxx and I stupidly left my envelope of holiday cash under the bed"

When traveling with a group 4 passports were left in a hotel room. They disappeared mysteriously

Not "mysterious" at all, but exactly the kind of thing stolen by low-paid cleaning staff - or opportunists nipping into the room whilst the maid gets towels out of the laundry cupboard whilst leaving your door wide open unattended for five minutes (which happens regularly in hotels)

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 09:06:14

Painting owls - exactly my thoughts and can’t understand why no one else would see this.

For anyone who travels with envelopes of cash with your name on I think you need to reconsider your method of holiday finances

thecatsthecats Tue 09-Apr-19 09:10:20

Painting owls - exactly my thoughts and can’t understand why no one else would see this.

Because of the perfectly normal reasons given up thread? And my methods are just fine thanks.

Besides, even if it is prostitution, well, they earned the money ffs!

breadzeb Tue 09-Apr-19 09:13:04

If in the UK...

It's not any less of a valid suggestion just because we don't know the country.

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 09:14:39

It’s not that if it’s prostit money that it’s not well earned it’s that due to the illegal nature it won’t be claimed.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 09:14:48

In the UK.
We've just handed it in. Had to fill out a form.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 09:17:18

It just looked like lost holiday money. Fallen down the back of the bed. Loving all the theories though.

whitesoxx Tue 09-Apr-19 09:17:18

Wtf? This thread gets stranger and stranger.

Do you know what the average sex worker actually would have to do to earn that kind of money? They absolutely wouldn't forget the cash and would have been back to claim it instantly if they did.

What is your method of carrying cash around @bebeboeuf? Or are you like the queen?

Longdistance Tue 09-Apr-19 09:18:07

Go to reception and ask them do they know who stayed in the room previously, could they call them as you’ve found something of theirs (don’t mention it’s money).
I bet the previous people from the room have already rung and asked if the money was found, and the staff didn’t find anything or were too lazy to look.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 09-Apr-19 09:19:06

In the UK. We've just handed it in. Had to fill out a form.

I would have handed it to the police. You would have been safe in the knowledge that the money would have been properly looked after. Then if the money was not claimed it would have been returned to you. I sincerely hope the hotel try to get it back to its rightful owner but the sceptic in me thinks its probably going to be pocketed.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 09:23:43

@headsdown, this is what I originally thought about handing it in and why I thought about giving it to charity.
I didn't want to keep the money for myself so didn't make the trip out the the police station in the hope that I might receive it eventually.
Anyway, I've handed it in so I don't need to worry about what happens next.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Apr-19 09:24:00

Where did you hand the funds into?. If the money had been handed into the police and they could not locate the owner this would have been returned to you after a month.

HoraceCope Tue 09-Apr-19 09:24:56

oh yep, holiday money, they will think they spent it grin
hope it finds its way back to them

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 09:27:22

@attilla, into the complex we are staying in. I'm not worried about receiving the money if no one claimed it. I never saw it as mine.

bebeboeuf Tue 09-Apr-19 09:28:56

Usually I carry holiday money in a purse or wallet. And if I wasn’t carrying it with me it would be in the safe.

It’s safer to actually keep just a small float for holidays and use your cards (have a card with decent foreign rates and it’s actually cheaper doing it that way too)

The only time I’ve had money in an envelope is when I’ve been on my way to bank to pay it in.

whitesoxx Tue 09-Apr-19 09:30:43

Putting money in a purse is no different whatsoever to putting money in an envelope

breadzeb Tue 09-Apr-19 09:31:55

It’s not that if it’s prostit money that it’s not well earned it’s that due to the illegal nature it won’t be claimed.

Well the owner could quite easily claim it. It was found in a holiday let, nobody is going to question the owner on where it came from if they do come forward. What a weird idea.

ClingFilmApplications Tue 09-Apr-19 09:32:01

Very naive to think hotel staff or police would waste any time over something akin to finding a needle in haystack

- and very naive of you to assume that someone who had forgotten an envelope of cash wouldn't at the very least call reception to ask (even though they know it most likely is gone).

breadzeb Tue 09-Apr-19 09:33:12

Usually I carry holiday money in a purse or wallet. And if I wasn’t carrying it with me it would be in the safe.

The only time I’ve had money in an envelope is when I’ve been on my way to bank to pay it in.

And you are one person.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 09-Apr-19 09:33:17

I'm not worried about receiving the money if no one claimed it. I never saw it as mine.
See my thinking would be that if the police could not locate who the money belonged to and it was returned to me I could then give it to the charity.

If I lost the money, I would have already written it off. I would be much happier knowing that if it had not made its way back to me it had at least gone to a good cause rather than to someone at the complex.

FamilyOfAliens Tue 09-Apr-19 09:40:34

Really can’t believe anyone would have to ask what they should do with money they’ve found that clearly belonged to someone else.

cooksomeeggs Tue 09-Apr-19 09:44:42

Relax @familyofaliens no harm has been done.

FoxSquadKitten Tue 09-Apr-19 09:51:07

Because OP was unsure (quite rightly) whether the money would actually get to the original owner so thought it better for it to go to charity. Fair enough I think.

FamilyOfAliens Tue 09-Apr-19 09:52:27

Relax familyofaliens no harm has been done.

I’m very relaxed. Still can’t believe you had to ask.

downcasteyes Tue 09-Apr-19 09:52:48

I think the comments attacking the OP's honesty are really unfair.

She asked a simple question: if she hands in the money, will it get back to the actual owner? Will the hotel/resort make an effort to return it? It doesn't take much experience of travel and the wider world to know that there are some hotels/resorts where you could be really sure that strenuous efforts would be made - and others where you could be fairly certain that the money would be pocketed by the staff. There are some, shall we say, 'budget' hotels in some countries of the world where you can't leave anything valuable out without it being pilfered!! In other places, your stuff is as safe as houses.

If the money is likely to get back to the original guests, then there is a clear way forward. If, however, it is not, then there is a genuine dilemma about what to do. Attacking her for being dishonest for asking the question is hardly fair.

ClingFilmApplications Tue 09-Apr-19 09:55:17

Great! - But I don't - and lots of other people won't either - I leave the wad in a secret place in the room and each day take only what I need, to protect against having no cash should I get pickpocketed or worse.

Oh - and that hotel safe?
- I'm guessing you don't know they can be instantly opened by anyone. Just YouTube "hotel safe" and there's examples of how to do it for the various models of safe that are out there.

Cryalot2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:55:36

Mich as you think the person will not get it if you hand it in ( no idea why you think this) There is a fair chance she might. But if you don't she won't.
I once found a small some of money at a beach. No local police station, but I posted it with a note to the station in the next big town.
After a period I get it back in the post as it was unclaimed.
So if the money is not claimed after a period then you will get it back and legally be free to use it as you please

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »