Talk

Advanced search

Will i be ok, no sleep.

(27 Posts)
bellalou1234 Tue 09-Apr-19 03:44:03

Got a 13 hour day tomorrow, need to be up in under 2 hours and havent slept a wink, please someone tell me ill be ok....

Backtothelist Tue 09-Apr-19 03:47:06

Ah gosh I get this too. Worry myself awake. Seriously you will be fine.
Adrenaline will kick in and you will get through the day without too much trouble
The sleep like a log tomorrow night

bellalou1234 Tue 09-Apr-19 03:48:20

Thank you, this is the worst ive ever been, feel like i just cant switch off.

Decormad38 Tue 09-Apr-19 03:48:52

Caffeine and more caffeine. Be careful if driving.

BloodsportForAll Tue 09-Apr-19 03:52:49

This is me, on a regular basis.
I missed my friends funeral today because yet again I was awake through the night and too bleary eyed and brain zapping to drive far.
Caffeine and all the rest stops. I keep the windows down, fresh air is your friend.

Cattucino Tue 09-Apr-19 03:54:26

You'll be ok. Don't be tempted to stay in bed longer - I often find I start to drift off just before it's time to get up.

Get up as early as is reasonable - I usually aim for 5.30, decent breakfast and some coffee if you drink it.

Sometimes I walk to the shop, prepare packed lunch, do some quiet jobs to pass the time and make me feel more awake.

Hope you get through the day ok and a better rest tomorrow flowers

bellalou1234 Tue 09-Apr-19 03:56:09

Thank you everyone for the reassurances, this is a nightmare, feel ive loads of energy in my stomach, tried to do everything right before bed too.

daffodilbrain Tue 09-Apr-19 03:59:39

I was thinking of posting something similar- haven't slept a wink!!! Now stressing how to get through the day!

Amber0685 Tue 09-Apr-19 04:37:50

I feel your pain, got out of bed about an hour ago, MNetting about to go and make coffee . I hope I am still functioning later today.

3luckystars Tue 09-Apr-19 04:42:43

Slow down your breathing, right down. 10 seconds in, hold, ten seconds out.

I think you will be ok tomorrow, it's the next day after that, that it will catch up with you.

Deep breaths.

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Apr-19 04:44:28

Red Bull and flapjack

WipeYourFeetOnTheRhythmRug Tue 09-Apr-19 04:58:46

You'll be fine.

Try and relax and breathe deeply. Accept that you won't sleep now and stop trying. Tell yourself that lying still, relaxing and breathing deeply for the next two hours will be sufficient to get you through the day.

And it will.

Knitclubchatter Tue 09-Apr-19 05:02:45

honestly it really depends on what you do.
if your a brain surgeon or a midwife working in the deliver unit maybe not so good to work a 12hr shift on 2hrs sleep.
if your a clerk in a pet store you will most likely be fine.
as a friend once told me don't sign any legal papers and don't speak to your children's teachers.

Flaverings Tue 09-Apr-19 05:06:52

I rely a lot on sleep hypnosiseseses on YouTube.

Ellenborough Tue 09-Apr-19 05:08:05

I find this happens to me most on the nights when I go to bed thinking 'really must sleep, really must sleep, busy day tomorrow.'

It's the kiss of death.

If you sleep badly generally and you know you have a day coming up when a good night's sleep beforehand is essential then do four things:

No caffeine after lunchtime that day.

No alcohol.

Take a Nightol.

Don't look continually at a device screen for at least half an hour before you close your eyes and attempt to sleep.

Even two or three of these things will help but do all four and you'll sleep like a baby.

Flaverings Tue 09-Apr-19 05:12:13

OP said she’d done everything right before bed.

blondiehip Tue 09-Apr-19 05:53:19

You will be fine. This happens to me alot. Just treat it as a normal day

KitKat1985 Tue 09-Apr-19 06:17:01

You'll get through. I used to have sleepless nights when the DDs were young then had to get up and do a 14 hour shift at work. It was utterly shit but I survived. Lots of caffeine and good food for you tomorrow will help! Hope you get some sleep tonight.

bellalou1234 Tue 09-Apr-19 06:24:42

Feeling surprisingly ok, just going to plod on and not over think it. Thanks everyone

starabara Tue 09-Apr-19 06:42:31

You’ll be ok. All nighters would not be uncommon in some industries or for students.

It’s noy healthy or ideal but you’ll make it through smile

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Tue 09-Apr-19 06:43:53

You'll be ok.

Unless you're a big caffeine drinker normally I wouldn't necessarily rely on this today. I don't drink caffeine so if I try to after no sleep, it makes my heart race and I feel shaky. Not good if you're already feeling a bit out of it!

LuckyLou7 Tue 09-Apr-19 06:48:54

Make sure you eat at regular intervals, keep hydrated (not necessarily with coffee) and you'll be fine. Then a lovely warm bath when you get in tonight, and an early night.

Aria999 Tue 09-Apr-19 06:49:53

Unless you actually stayed up all night you may have got more sleep than you realize. There's plenty of evidence that insomniacs sleep lots more than they think. I find this comforting when i can't sleep as it means i might cope better than i expected to. I once woke up from a dream about not being able to get to sleep!

TotalNoob Tue 09-Apr-19 06:54:32

As a one off you’ll be fine. Go easy on the caffeine though or you’ll have trouble sleeping tonight.

I’ve been awake since 3am with heartburn. Then I started thinking about the rigmarole of trying to get a GP appointment (heartburn is ongoing so needs looking into) which then set anxiety off and I had to keep getting out of bed for a nervous poo blush

Good luck with whatever it is you’re doing today flowers

FrameyMcFrame Tue 09-Apr-19 06:57:34

You'll be fine, try to eat a high protein breakfast and avoid lots of sugar as you'll crash later.

Sleep debt is accumulative. If this is your first night of zero sleep you should probably feel ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »