Talk

Advanced search

Piercing lip 16 year old

(7 Posts)
canyoufeedthedog Mon 08-Apr-19 22:49:09

My DD has asked me if she can get her lip pierced, I know she hasn't asked because she needs my permission, the very reasonable shop she is going to take 16 as the minimum age to do this, my worries are what are the complications, or infection, what if it's just a fad and then she has a hole there? For ever! I had my nose pierced at 18 and still have that hole at 48! Should I as a Mum talk her out of it ? Should I go along with it? She is certain that's the look she wants, she has no piercings ,has long brown untouched hair, just very natural 16 year old, I'm list as to understand why she needs a metal ring in her lip!

CandyCreeper Mon 08-Apr-19 22:53:31

i got mine done at 14, the shop never asked for id. my mum went mad. I took it out at 18 and still have a hole, the hole doesnt bother me its literally tiny. 🤷‍♀️

thundercats192 Mon 08-Apr-19 22:59:46

It's fine, let her do what she wants with her own body. I got my lip pierced at 16 too. I loved the look of it and kept it in til I was 22. Ten years later I still have a tiny hole but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

StoneofDestiny Mon 08-Apr-19 23:03:33

Why does anyone want a ring through their lip? Just curious.

StormcloakNord Mon 08-Apr-19 23:04:10

Honestly? Let her go daft with piercings, they're a hell of a lot less permanent than tattoos and if you start restricting her from getting piercings safely she'll either start poking holes in herself (like I did) or she'll get to 18 and go bananas getting piercings, tattoos and all manner of stuff.

StormcloakNord Mon 08-Apr-19 23:05:12

@StoneofDestiny I had a ring through the middle of my lip. It was a thin ring and looked really nice. Matched my nose & wasnt too "in your face".

cobblett36 Mon 08-Apr-19 23:41:39

I had mine done at 16, chance of infection is very low and it's the same cleaning process as ears. Boiled salt water on a cotton bud for two weeks, it actually heals very quickly. When she takes it out within a couple of days she wont be able to get a stud back through. I had mine until I was 22, hole is hardly visible and unless people know it's there they cant tell. Have actually been thinking about getting it redone again as I miss it. You can get some really nice diamond studs that sit very neatly under the lip.

Let her do it, and you'll be the coolest mum ever in her eyes! (Not justification for having it done I know, but shes going to anyway!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »